What's up with covercraft car covers? | FerrariChat

What's up with covercraft car covers?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by staatsof, Jun 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've been buying these for about 15 years. The previous three covers used the Noah type fabric and worked spectacularly outdoors on my Jaguar in rain and snow but they doo wear out so I replaced the the one for the Jag and the replacement was not as thick and hasn't worked nearly as well. When needed a cover for a new car I discovered that they no longer offer Noah fabric. So I picked what is supposed to be the replacement but it's nothing like the Noah. They claim it's better ... it's called Ultratect.

I put it on the car and we had two very small showers. There was water beaded up on the roof and hood.
    When I lifted the cover the car was sopping wet! The Noah covers never did this.

Is anyone else having trouble with their stuff?

2. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I've used their covers for a long time as well. After a while the Noah starts to degrade, and leaves a dust/film on the car, and when I went to replace one recently, I found out that fabric is no longer made. Covercraft didn't have the pattern for a 350R, so I had to look elsewhere. I looked at a few and decided on the Cal Covers supreme shield. It was twice what the Noahs cost, but seemed the best option for my usage. With covid, its a 2 month lead time, so I haven't gotten it yet.

staatsof likes this.
  3. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes that's about my experience with the Noah as well. My first one was really great for about 3 years and then it needed replacing. That one was outdoors 24/7 even through the snow and it was amazing. The second one for that car was not as good and I called them about it. They acknowledged nothing. This latest one is twice as expensive and not even water resident so I've stopped using it after a few days and we'll see if they can do something for me. It's utterly useless except indoors. It's also not at all stretchy which makes it devilish to get on & off of the mirrors.

4. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I have several of the Noahs, and after a year or two, they start to dust/degrade from the FL sun. Cal Cover had a pattern for my racecar that no one else had, so my experience with them was good from several years back. The reviews on the supreme shield were good, and the salesman was helpful, so I gave them a try for my GT3 touring and GT350R that I alternate driving to work and park in the sun. Hopefully they are worth the price premium.

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At the time the price point of the Noah covers and their great performance made me decide that @ about $300 it was a disposable item. It really worked great on my Jag which with a paint sealer and a California duster be came a much easier car to to maintain and weather here can be quite difficult. But that's gone. Are the Cal Cover's at all stretchable?

6. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't know yet; this will be my first time with this material..... I use griots waterless car wash and a clean microfiber towel made when I come home to keep the car clean under the cover. That's worked better for me than my old california duster.