458 - The Grigio Has Landed | FerrariChat

458 The Grigio Has Landed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PMiranda, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Good news, bad news, good news
    The truck was actually able to fit down my street so I didn’t have to meet him at the front of the neighborhood and I got to see my new toy being unloaded from the stacker. Very cool stuff!

Sadly the rear ramp wasn’t aligned and I heard a bad sound as the diffuser bottomed out. But that’s why the delivery guy drives it off the truck and why they have insurance.

The good news is this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a carbon one, which leaves me with at least 3 choices with wildly different prices:
    Competition Motorsport’s C3 comes in the least expensive, Capristo the most expensive, and Fabspeed in the middle. Anyone had a chance to compare these?

CMS touts the ability to replace individual fins if they get damaged, but Fabspeed is a sponsor so I have a soft spot for them.

2. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  3. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It looks great in that color! Congrats, and great attitude about the diffuser. I just ordered a number of things from MyRicambi. While I can't speak to quality yet, their communication through all my questions was outstanding.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    It's really hard to get a full day of work at home done with this thing sitting in the garage. I did manage to combine both for a little while, taking a conference call over bluetooth and messing with the dash settings. I'll have to figure out the mapping of the A B C D settings on the exhaust remote.

DefunctNeurons, GT2goneF and JJ like this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Very nice. What year?

Ray

6. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    2013. Unfortunately will probably develop sticky buttons in warm, humid Texas but apparently there's a fix for that. I can't believe how big the frunk is. I think it has more cargo space than my wife's Z3.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I wonder if that's my old car?

Diamond cut rims?

Ray

8. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Silver painted. Standard black leather seats, full electric. It's always possible they had been changed as the tires are new. Has less than 7k miles, but not for long :)
    Came with the 30-pin to lightning adapter so I now have an unopened extra if anyone needs one.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Mine would probably have over 20K by now. I sold it with 15k miles on it.

Really amazing color on the 458. Congrats!

Ray

10. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! The only color I wanted more was Blu Corsa, which isn't a choice on a 458. I considered getting something more common like white or black and getting it wrapped, but I'm not totally confident in how good it would look. I'll probably end up doing it on a Tesla next year since they just don't have many choices.

11. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    Beautiful color! Beautiful car! Congratulations!

12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Looks like a keeper, congratulations!

13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Hope this helps

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    So I also just bought my 2013 458 Spider which also got bottomed out on the diffuser during delivery. Not as easy a discussion with the transportation company but we shall see. Still in love with the car X 10! Mine came with no lightning adapter or 30 pin adapter so if you have an extra I would love to take it. What do you want for it?

15. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If you don't have the 30-pin in the glovebox already, the lightning adaptor won't do you any good. I'm guessing there are some threads that talk about what it takes to get it installed and have the car programmed to use it. If it were a Ford or a BMW I would know but it's pretty much all new to me. Unless I'm going for a longer drive I don't usually bother plugging in and just listen to the car unless somebody calls. (And then I usually can't remember how to answer through the car controls)
    I actually just got it back from the dealer Friday. Because the transportation company wanted to pay the dealer directly, I didn't bother with trying to get a CF diffuser instead, and so it took a while to get the parts in and painted. I was surprised they don't just come flat black but I guess there are variants where they are some other color.

16. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    I gotcha. I thought you meant you had a connector straight from the Ferrari radio to the lightning cable in which case I was all in! If I find a connector from the radio to a 30 pin I will reach out again for the connector. It's crazy to think that to this day, someone hasn't made a connector that is direct from the radio to a lightning connector. People with Ferrari's have money but no one has fixed this problem.

17. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I think most people really just want bluetooth audio, but the 458 wasn't ready for that leap of technology, even though it was years after other cars that had it. So even with the 30-pin, you access your music through the "ipod" menu, and phone calls come through bluetooth. The stock sound is pretty poor so you've got to be on a pretty long boring drive before it's worth the pain. The first owner of mine had put in a lightning extension cable, which was nicely convenient, but made it even flakier. I'm guessing a 30-pin extension would be more likely to work correctly, but I've found the phone sits happily upside down in the cupholder with the short cable.

18. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

19. svr458

svr458 Rookie

Jul 9, 2019