2014 FF - warranty worth it? | FerrariChat

2014 FF - warranty worth it?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by sidj, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sidj

sidj Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    sid jager
    I am looking at buying a 2014-15 ff with lower miles (say sub 18k) and was wondering what my warranty options are and if they are worth it. Does Ferraris power15 warranty apply?

WestCoasta likes this.
  2. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Assuming you're in the United States, the V12 cars cost $5,760 plus tax per year for the New Power warranty. If the car has been out of the Ferrari Service Network and/or is not currently under warranty, you'll also need to pay $595 plus tax for the initial inspection to get that first year going. You can do this through the 12th year of the car, then you can do three years of the Power warranty which I don't know much about since I'm pretty far away from that.

There are a lot of folks who self-insure, putting something away for a rainy day in the event something serious breaks. There are also folks who like the piece of mind. It's up to you to decide the value it brings you. That annual cost is hard to swallow. For perspective, if the speed sensor goes in the gearbox, you're looking at ~$12k to repair, and if the car you choose hasn't had it done yet and doesn't already have the updated parts, there's a strong chance you'll need it eventually. That's just one possible scenario. You may never need it. As I understand it, the 2015 model year over 2014 is advisable as the "2nd generation" Getrag DCT was used (not sure on exact production date that started). The community here can keep me honest on that one since there are a lot of threads about this floating around, some are based on conjecture and some are based on fact; can be hard to tell the difference. If you get closer or want more info, PM me and I can send you the New Power brochure and some additional info.

My 2012 is in for the speed sensor now which is coming out of pocket. Car has 20k miles on it.

otakki, Schatten and timjen88 like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    speed sensor is closer to 7K, which is same price as warranty. and for them to cover the speed sensor they need to show evidence its in fact the speed sensor - which means they can open up everything and determine it was something else - which guess what, they're gonna do. keep your money in ur pocket.

plastique999 and otakki like this.
  4. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    I was quoted $8,700 for labor plus the speed sensor parts kit. They could not officially diagnose it until the shop performed a barrage of testing and submitted the results to FNA, who returned a confirmation and allowed the parts kit to be ordered.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats alot - dealers in NYC area do it for 7500 and independent do it for about 6k.

6. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    I don't disagree, and I was unable to locate an independent. The car was already there getting the inspection for New Power and they found stored codes for the speed sensor. So I could let them fix it while it's there, get the warranty, or I could spend X shipping the car out somewhere and we're not talking about a $10k difference here so at the end of the day it isn't worth the hassle of trying to relocate the car and tap an alternate resource.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not arguing/debating you at all - just commenting so when someone searches in the future there will be points of reference and time stamped metrics.

Vegas CS and papou like this.
  8. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Oh no sir, you're good; I know you're not trying to be combative at all. Your feedback will likely be valuable to the OP. I've read many, many posts by you these last few weeks which I found very helpful.

Days of searching the forums here revealed to me that there is a variance here and there in cost. I suppose that's not an absurd concept, although I'd love to see some consistency. In the end we're all subject to what's available to us. I'd really love to see a list of indys that can do this kind of work, and that can source the parts. As I understand it, the repair kits are a restricted part, so I don't know the intricacies of that. So when folks post "my guy can do it" or "I know a guy in SoCal", that's not helpful when guys like me who are green to the exotic car scene don't have the extensive network of relationships.

Full disclosure right, I know there are ways to get this done cheaper. I just don't know how to tap those methods, and the forums haven't been helpful in that regard. So I'm doing the only thing I can; trusting the word of my local dealer. But I'm always open to other options for sure. In the end, I might be on the higher end of this repair, but I'll leave with a working car, a warranty, and the beginning of a good relationship with my local dealer. Hopefully that all proves to be fruitful over my next few years of ownership.

ttforcefed likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I was told the 8k or so warranty ferrai is offering is for 2 years (promotional offer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    That's a big discount. This was for New Power specifically? On a V12 model? If you can get something from them with more detail or a quote on paper, I think that would do a world of good for a lot of folks here, myself included.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Seattle of Washington for their 2013 FF they just sold. Franklin their sales told me this; give them a call.

12. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    I can fwd you the answer I got from Ferrari SF about what the warranty costs and covers. It was regarding a 2014 FF so it will be quite accurate..... breaks it down in detail. If youre interested, dm me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    I have a 2014 FF 10k miles. purchased 2 years ago with extended power . I just got quoted $8100 for 1 year extension from my ny dealer. Is this price correct?

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s nuts!

15. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    is that price negotiable ? does that pricing change depending on the dealer? $5k which I think is crazy I could tolerate anything over that I guess I will have to self Insure

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Yep correct- I believe it’s for 1 year 6500.

So you cannot add the 2 year extention warranty to a vehicle with an expired warranty which is the case with this particular FF. That’s what I was told when purchased mine.
    The warranty I believe covers the annual service

17. Woj

Woj Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    I have a 2014 FF with 30k miles. At the 7 year service I paid about that much for both 8 year service and 1 year warranty extension.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    so essentially its about $6500 for 1 year extension and $1500 the the 8th year service. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, sort of a difficult design. Thank fully the car has been super solid for the past 2 years, but that is no indication of what could potentially happen tomorrow when I start it up or at any point in the near future. I have previously alway felt it would be worth it to me to continue extending the warranty as I am a bit adverse to risks, but now maybe I am better off banking that $6500 on the side and keeping my fingers crossed

Elferink likes this.