any ALFA GTV6 guys? | FerrariChat

any ALFA GTV6 guys?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by jbrosseau, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    my cousin bill is getting ready to sell his 85' GTV that he bought new back then. he has kept the car in great condition considering it as a daily driver. it has had the motor rebuilt a couple times and alot of other regular replacements and such. anyway he bought a audi and is now gonna sell the alfa. i have always loved the gtv and said if he wanted to make his cousin a screeming deal i would buy it. so i was thinking of useing it as a track car or autocross car. or simply as a secondary toy to my 308.
    so my question it how do you alfa guys like your gtv's? and what should i look out for? thanks, joe brosseau

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i have always loved those cars! let me bigin by telling you that i have owned 3 different gtv-6's in various states of tune. they are very sexy to look at when lowered and the sound w/ headers and center resonator removed, is really out of this world!!

when i had owned my cars, i had always changed to shankle headers, ansa exhaust, shankle cams, shankle torsion bars (fr) and springs (r). koni adjustable d on all corners. 16 inch wheels w/ good rubber is also a great addition, although, there may now be a better 17 inch set up for the alfa that will update the handling even more. as a note, compomotive mad e a sweet 5 spoke ferrari style wheel that looks really great. w/ these mods, the car becomes pretty peppy and really a great handler. i had never upgraded the brakes so i cannot speak to that. i would assume that w/ all the old milanos running around, there will ample bigger rotors, calipers and even a 3.0 liter or two.

now, the main issue, or weak link in this car is the drive shaft. there are 3 rubber flex joints that lie at the beginning , middle and end of the drive shaft.
    they are prone to breaking durring hard use...no speed shifting here! the head gaskets were problematic on my 81, but seemed a distant memory by 83.

parts are plentiful and the drive line labor is pretty easy w/ a decent garage and some helpful friends. the cars a re a bit fragile compared to a 911 track car but not too bad when compared to other italian cars. they are really fun to drive hard and rerally reward the smmoth and ballanced driver. you will get passed by most cars in the straight line but will reel them back in the twisties.

only 12 cyl ferraris will sound better!

3. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    I owned a GTV6 for eight years and 100,000+ miles. They are great cars that are a pleasure to drive. However, they are relatively high maintenance compared to modern machinery. For more info on GTV6's, try www.gtv6.org and www.alfabb.com.

The biggest thing to look for is rust. Unfortunately, there are many potential rustspots on this chassis including sunroof, tailgate, bottom of the windhsheild, rocker panels, firewall and front suspension mounts, particularly under the expansin tank. If the body isn't rusty, the body and suspension is very tough and can last many years and miles.

Mechanically, they are somewhat complex. Front suspension is A arms with torsion bars, rear is a deDion with integrated transaxle. Like most Alfa's, there is alot of body roll but the cars are setup for mild understeer. Handling is very predictable and safe, with no hint of drop throttle oversteer that contemporary Porsches, BMW's and Datsuns suffered. The steering is unassisted and offers feedback and control that modern cars can't touch. If Porsche's were designed for storming the Autobahn, Alfa's were designed for Italy's many narrow, winding B roads. For these situations, mild understeer with stable response is desired, and GTV6's are terrifically rewarding cars.

The engine is an all alloy SOHC V-6 that makes 156hp stock. The quarter mile is in the low 16's. Like ferraripete said, the V-6 has a wonderful sound. A writer described the sound as ripping silk. When first introduced in 1981, the GTV6 was one of the fastest cars available new in the US. However, compared to modern machinery, they are relatively slow. Stock, it was about as quick as a normally aspirated 944 with little more top end power. If you want more power, the best route is to replace the 2.5L with a later hotted 3.0L. You can get around 220 hp reliably from the larger displacement unit.

On the track, the biggest drawback other than lack of power is the braking system. The rear disks are mounted inboard on the transaxle, and will overheat and fade very easily. For an autocrosser, the cars are too big to be competitive but are fun nonetheless.

85 is a good year with improved shifting, upgraded interior and improved air conditioner. The main drawback of that year is the metric TRX wheels which have probably been changed out for normal set by now.

4. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I had 3 GTV6s in my garage(s). Great cars, nice handling/comfort balance. I love the styling, but it does not have universal appeal. Yes, they can me maintenance intensive (rear brakes, guibos, early Bosch electronics, head gaskets, trim issues, hatch strut, leaking plastic coolant reservoirs, etc, etc.).
    Lots of thrills for the $. Great sounding V6. I even had one with a 3.0 litre swap and 164S cams.

luke

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Had a great drive in the GTV6 on Saturday...

You meet a lot of car people in this hobby and I'm in with a group of shall we sat 'spirited' drivers with some solid high HP machinery. I've been out several times with them in my own high HP choices, but Saturday was the GTV6's turn.. And it kept up with the V8, V10 cars just fine. Though you can be sure their top speeds were limited more by the drivers than the cars themselves..

Anyway - we had a great time and the GTV6 received some flattering compliments on its performance.

Cheers,
    - Art

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nicolas21 and F456M like this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have always loved the GTV6 and if I get lucky one day and run across one I will buy it. I'll build a racecar out of it and vintage race it.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    There are plenty of them out there in every price range, depending on condition of course, which make them perfect for your application. It's not unusual to find them already "race-prepped", but what that means and to what extent its was done professionally varies greatly....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wow, relighting a 16 year old thread! haha.

Love the GTV6. I had a silver one for a while before I got my Alfetta GTV. Then later had a 3.0 Milano/75 Verde. Sold it last year.

I'd love to have a red on black late GTV6. I actually have a perfect black leather set of seats for one. Been stored for close to ten years now awaiting the right car. (was originally going in my Alfetta GTV)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    There always seem to be a lot of Alfas in WA.. I enjoyed a great little SPICA injected '76 Alfetta GT before I transitioned to the GTV6, which is an '82 Balocco SE, factory black leather interior, sunroof, red carpeting.. it's been a great driver.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    bjwhite and MK1044 like this.
  11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    For sure. Ronal A1s are my fav for the car though.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  12. Ademir 70

Ademir 70 Rookie

Dec 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ademir Fedumenti