Zandvoort 2021 | FerrariChat

Zandvoort 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by amerikalei, Jun 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I watched some of the Zandvoort GT race this past weekend, curious to see the new configuration. The broadcast didn't do a great job of introducing the circuit, and I thought the coverage was weak (although John Watson did commentary), however it left me with two observations.

F1 cars on that track will be wild, particularly if it rains.

If that race track can get FIA approval, why on earth are places like Watkins Glen or Road America unable to?

I know the answer is there's no commercial entity pushing for F1 to race at either track, but it sure seems like either of them are more suitable to F1 than the new Zandvoort.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Zandvoort is such a small and narrow track. I'll be amazed if there'll be actually any good racing...it'll be like hungary, but smaller! The newly profiled last corner may well help, however...but I'm not holding my breath, and that's saying it as someone who grew up in zandvoort!

Road America would be fantastic for F1...

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The track will be a sea of orange.

4. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I'm sure it will be a spectacular event, even if the course seems tight. A little bit of rain might spice it up.

5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Road America isn't interested in F1. There are many reasons but I'll name just a few. They aren't interested in building the permanent garages. Part II of that same issue is they aren't keen on building the F1 "Paddock Club" VIP boxes on top of the garages and not getting any of the money. Currently Liberty gets all of that. The same thing goes for the track signage. Right now RA owns all of that income from advertising signage. Also, they aren't interested in shutting off the paddock to fans. Paddock access at no extra charge is one of the reasons the track is beloved to fans. Right now RA pays the sanctioning fee and the series gets that and the TV money which should be plenty.

That isn't even getting into the track "improvements" F1 and the FIA might require. Right now if you want to explore track limits you have the choice of the "3 Gs" - grass, gravel and guardrail. Explore at your own risk.

Anyway all of those things are already there at Indianapolis. My thinking Roger and company don't want to pay the sanctioning fee.

GuyIncognito, ricksb, airjew and 5 others like this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Further to the above see post #105 in the other racing/IndyCar 2021 thread.

Nortonious likes this.
  7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    3 G's should be standard at all (F1) tracks

Bas likes this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You highlight the main reasons why some circuits that would be suitable for F1 aren't interested in hosting a GP.
    For the circuit owner it's a complete rip off.

ricksb and pilotoCS like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's very interesting and I had no idea about that...proper F1 oriented track then, love it!

Zandvoort had easy access pre-F1. You could get on the dunes surrounding the track with ease and watch from anywhere you like. Hell I used to walk my dogs after school and find some kind of practice going on at least. Especially fridays. I've been told all this wonderful access is now gone and you need passes to get anywhere, even when nothing is happening. Very sad...

Nortonious likes this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Its for your safety...............................or some other bullcrap that sounds similar..................

Nortonious likes this.
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    big fence between the dunes and the track still...it's for the revenue more like, lol

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I watched the GT race, too, just to see the circuit. I have to say it looks pretty primitive compared with the others.....not that I’m complaining. :)

TimboSlice, amerikalei and Bas like this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I fully expect 90% of the fans there will be the ''orange army'' that we've seen in Austria and Hungary for example. Not my favourite type of fan if honest.

Expect them to be very vocal against Mercedes. The way Mercedes has been acting all season...I gladly welcome it. **** the mercs.

Nortonious and moretti like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So the capacity has been reduced to 2/3rds, citing covid and reducing of spread thereof as the reason. I have several friends living in Zandvoort, literally a 500 meter walk to the entrace, that have held tickets since they where on sale that are not allowed to go. Bronze to gold ticket holders.

What a shambles.

Nortonious likes this.
  15. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    It is primitive. As I mentioned before Zandvoort has been pretty much neglected for decades. It's a Laguna Seca kind of track, nothing fancy yet still very appealing.

I'm actually suprised they even organized a somewhat decent F1 venue. Although it doesn't get government support, not a single Euro.
    Circuit Zandvoort Maakt Zich Op Voor Formule 1 - YouTube

However it's a historic track, between 1952 and 1985 it was a regular on the F1 calender.

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, I know its history. I’m glad it’s on the schedule again.

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's a good track for touring and GT meetings.
    I was surprised to see it back on the F1 calendar. I expect they did a lot of work to bring it up to standards.
    I can't wait to see the GP

18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Bas and 375+ like this.
  19. TimboSlice

TimboSlice Rookie

Jul 22, 2021
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Who will win this one? Looking forward to this race. Could be a very exciting with rain and the fact that the circuit has not been used for F1 (makes it more unpredictable).