Starter Removal - 1978 308GTB | FerrariChat

Starter Removal - 1978 308GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by gte619n, Jun 22, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    I ordered the high torque starter from Classic Car Performance and installed it over the weekend. I tried to follow the procedure from this earlier thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-starter-removal-with-pictures.310842/

For whatever reason, either because of the year-to-year difference or the GTB vs GTS or whatever, I was unable to pull it out as described in the thread. In order to remove, I had to:
    • Remove alternator.
    • Disconnect starter wires.
    • Unbolt starter from the transmission.
    • Furiously wiggle, only to hit the dipstick.
    • Attempt to slide by, curse, etc etc.
    • Remove the three screws holding on the starter solenoid.
    • Pull out through passenger side wheel well.
    Knowing that you have to remove the solenoid would have made the job way, way easier.

The new starter is great. The car starts up SUPER easily. Well worth the swap. On my bathroom scale, the original unit weighs 20lbs and the new unit weighs 7 lbs.

Highly recommended.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Foxie and Andretti Molletti like this.
  2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    what a great mod
    this with a lithium battery my next purchases

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Well done, does the heat shield fit back into place with the new starter installed?

4. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    There did not appear to be any heat shield installed when I remover the old one. I did have the headers ceramic coated when I welded up the air injection holes, I temps haven't been an issue.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I ended up unbolting the motor mount and jacking up the engine to get mine out. But mine still had the heat shields on the headers. It was a VERY frustrating job.

6. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    that was my method also

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I am the same as Jdubbya & ragtop1. I have done two in the last couple months. If you do the motor mount removal, remove the mount from the bracket to easily access the nuts holding the bracket to the trans. I also found the area behind the bracket traps a great deal of oil from years of oil seepage. There is a spacer plate that will drip oil as you are swapping the starter. Clean it well.
    I like the smaller gear reduction starters as well and will probably encourage my clients to go that route.

8. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    As needed, i have been replacing all the starters on my older cars with gear redux starters. They are smaller, lighter and generally crank faster than OEM.
    That big direct drive starter is 1920's technology.
    Doug

Foxie likes this.
  9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Glad to read I wasn't the only one. I fiddled and flipped and cursed and turned and cursed a LOT more and never could get it to come out without making more room. I'd go out and work on it a bit, get frustrated, and leave it sit for a while. Then go back and try again. I finally just resigned myself toe the fact that the motor mount was gonna at least have to be loosened up. That worked. And yeah the gear reduction starter slid right up in there, a bonus if there'd ever have been a need to take it back out!!