Separating the TR engine from its gearbox | FerrariChat

Separating the TR engine from its gearbox

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Jun 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I have never done this before, but the combination of resealing the gasket surface between the two units, upgrading the differential and replacing the water/oil pump chain and tensioner have made it necessary.

Any tricks to separating the two? Does the vertical casting at the back of the gearbox (which includes the rear engine mounts) need to be removed before the two can be separated? The design makes the process difficult on most engine stands.

Melvok likes this.
  2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    turbo-joe likes this.
  3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks for the tip. I have no idea how to undo the two castellated nuts behind the flywheel with a simple 14mm open box wrench without rounding them off. Any tricks? Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    In fact, I cannot even find them on the Eurospares parts fiche. Any idea of the part number?

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may use 2 14 mm open end wrench to loosen those 2 nuts. for me this was working always because if you only use one tool the open end will get wider a little

mexicruiser likes this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you are changing the diff..remove the rear cover first. Then you can get the box end of the wrench on the nuts.

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    thanks, I will try that and see if it works.

8. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would add: Invest time to get the transmission leveled and the lift also to pull as vertical as possible (an engine leveler is very useful), that way the studs don’t get jammed in the holes. Also count all the nuts and bolts twice before pulling so you don’t break anything.

For later: separating is not as tricky as rejoining, for this it is important to get both parts perfectly parallel and the o rings on the pump greased so they don’t get pinched (I used brake piston assembly lube which is very slippery), the other o rings also so they don’t move off their grooves (I don’t use silicone because it dries hard, is a risk in the oiling system and interferes with the way the o rings are designed to work) it is important not to use primer for the loctite sealer as this will start the drying process too quickly and will cause “shimming”, it will still dry only slower as there is enough active metal in the casting. I used 515 because it is not as thick as the 518 which is recommended for aluminium. Even so, don’t apply the sealer until you are ready to assemble, this way you will have lots of time and not have to worry about shimming. Don’t forget to replace the o ring on the bolt Guido pointed out, and use lube here too as this one gets pinched easy when installing.

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Many thanks for all the great advice. I am still scratching my head as I look at those 2 castellated nuts on the rearmost 2 studs. No socket will fit; I am thinking of grinding down a 14 mm closed end wrench to see if it will slip over. I also note that they appear nowhere on the TR parts fiche.

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You have to separate the gearbox a little to get the nuts off and on. Grind down an open end wrench to fit.

tbakowsky likes this.
  11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    How can I separate the gearbox a little when these nuts remain tight? They hold the gearbox to the engine cases. I have yet to remove the end plate behind the differential, but cannot see how that might provide more space around the nuts to fit a closed end wrench or socket.

I have stahlwille and beta tools, but none of the 14mm open end wrenches fit tight enough to remove the nuts. I rounded one nut off when I used a wrench and a length of pipe to try to loosen one. I may just buy a spare wrench and grind it down. Alternatively, I may just use heat and a chisel to remove them and buy two new nuts, but for the fact they cannot be found anywhere in the parts fiche.

I will be in Modena next month, I will just go the parts dealer on Via Emilia (they can get anything) and ask if they can find them off the fiche.

Tightening them may be interesting.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When the rear cover is removed you are provided with a better angle to slide the ground down box end of the wrench under and then onto the nut.

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Ok, thanks. Will give it a try…

14. tuplakoo

tuplakoo Rookie

Aug 25, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Kari Kovanen
    Is it possible to remove gearbox,
    without taking engine (whole package) out of the car?

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    NO

Melvok likes this.