458 - Front Windscreen Protection Film | FerrariChat

458 Front Windscreen Protection Film

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, Jun 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

My 2015 458 Italia has a clear protection film on the front windscreen (as well as the rest of the front clip and leading/facing edges of the side mirrors and wheel wells). It is in incredibly good nick without any visible scratches or yellowing.

I’m just curious if you need to do anything special to maintain the film on the windscreen when washing up? I have been using a clear filtered rinse water (all water used is de-ionised) as step one and the Griots foam cannon as step two, with the recommended dwell time before rinsing the remaining foam off.

Drying is accomplished through air drying in an air-conditioned car park at 74 degrees F. There are no water spots with the filtered water, so there is no need to wipe it dry.

I read on another site that a bloke applied a ceramic coating to the film on his windscreen, but I’m concerned about lowered performance of the windscreen wipers. Any thoughts from those with protection films on their windscreens?

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I imagine the biggest issue is keeping the windshield wipers clean and replacing them before they get too hard/dried out, since the relatively soft film is going to scratch much more easily than the glass would. I see windscreen tearoffs used on race cars but until I got my 458 I had never even heard of using them on a street car.

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Never understood why, but it's illegal to have clear film on windshields in Calif. Does anybody know the justification for this (hold the snide Calif comments)?

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don’t know that reason but makes as much sense as it is illegal to have clear license plate covers. I got a ticket for the clear license cover on the rear plate. I have given up on any rational thinking on many CA laws.

AD211 likes this.
  5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Never heard of that. My car came from CA with it :)
    I did notice in the morning light today that it just slightly distorts a little. I imagine as it ages and starts to get tiny pits from use it will become more noticeable but it's easy to peel off and I imagine pretty quick and inexpensive to get replaced since it's a basically flat surface. Way easier to "wrap" than a front bumper or panels with complex curves.

6. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Maybe it’s because of police cameras? Clear film could have reflective properties. I know for plates it’s because of those red light cameras and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, a visually clear film might reflect or block infrared cameras... although there are windshields that come from the factory which block infrared for heat rejection. A good one won't like like anything so you really have to piss off a police officer for them to look for it.

8. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Im pretty sure tinted front windshields are banned that aren't 70%. Clear film is ok in California. There are insulated windows from OEM that would have the same effect as any clear film blocking infrared as someone else has mentioned.

As far as maintenance goes there is a product that you have to wipe onto the film once a month or every other month. It seals the film. There are also ceramic coating touchup sprays that you can spray and wipe off that do the same thing. You do not have to have ceramic coating on the film to use the sprays.

Do not run the windshield wipers dry because it can scratch the film. So probably a good idea to not have wipers on rain sensor setting in case it turns on automatically. Actually I cant remember if the 458 or any of my Ferraris have the rain sensor setting but just in case I thought I would mention it.

As far as washing goes the filtered water is sufficient. You can also use regular water as long as you use a clean microfiber towel at the end to dry.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    https://abc30.com/window-tint-chp-california-highway-patrol-police/5873675/

10. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your reply. I usually refrain from driving my 458 in the rain, because of all of the muck that gets thrown up onto the body.

In 1.5 years of joy rides, I have only used the wipers once, when a sudden rainstorm appeared and dumped some rain for a few miles.

Good idea to keep them spotlessly clean though, so there is no grit on them in case they are needed.

Cheers!

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your comments! Do you know the name of the product that should be applied monthly? I sincerely appreciate your assistance!

Cheers!

12. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
  13. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I can’t remember the name of the paste product that was given to me by the installer and will have to look when I get back home in a couple of days. The spray that replaced the paste was glanz ceramic sealant spray. Il have to take pictures when I get back.

From the clearplex website they state you can use a good wax . Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Rexcat458 likes this.
  14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You are correct. The only part of a windshield that can be tinted (beyond the 30% that's inherent in the glass from the manufacturer) is in the top 3-4 or so inches of the windshield. Actually, you can get a waiver to have a tinted windshield but you have to provide medical proof that a tinted windshield is required.

Does anybody have experience with ExoShield windshield protection film? https://www.getexoshield.com

junc likes this.
  15. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your assistance!

Cheers!

junc likes this.
  16. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
  17. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I was told by my installer that it is because of concerns about obstructed vision. Inferior films or installations can cause distortions of the view, especially as the film ages. And of course wipers can cause scratches. I once made the mistake of allowing my dealer to place a rally banner sticker across the top of my windshield, which left a visible haze on my film when removed, so I had to have a new film re-installed. The glass was still perfect underneath.

My installer in Fremont used "Diamond-Tec Windshield Film." I have had a few small pebbles strike occasionally, but the film has held up well for 6 years. I just use regular Griots window cleaner and a microfiber towel, but am careful not to bear down on the windshield to avoid grinding grit into the film.

18. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much for your reply! I will look into getting some of these products for my windscreen film.

Cheers!

junc likes this.