F8 luggage release , dead battery | FerrariChat

F8 luggage release , dead battery

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Awitty, Jun 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Awitty

Awitty Rookie

Apr 26, 2010
    I made a schoolboy error and forgot to put my F8 on trickle charge. The battery is completely dead and hasn't responded at all to a few days of trickle charging.

I now need to pop open the luggage (front bonnet ) but can't find the manual release thread/lever. The manual says it's located to the left of the steering wheel in the footwell but I can't see it. It's a UK RHD vehicle so I wonder if they've located it somewhere different. ?

Any advice appreciated !

2. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    Hi, have you used the Black OEM Ferrari charger ? The CTEKs can over much more recovery potential. Also US colleagues like the Noco Lithium boost packs to get out of trouble.

https://www.halfords.com/brands/noco.html
    Where are you in the UK ?

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    My recollection is that usually they don't move it when changing lhd to rhd so its probably still on the left of the passenger side

4. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    This is what you are looking for......

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A trickle charger will never charge a dead battery no matter how long you leave it on. Buy something like a CTEK 7002.

6. Awitty

Awitty Rookie

Apr 26, 2010

7. Awitty

Awitty Rookie

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks. I'll look into that. I'm in York

8. Awitty

Awitty Rookie

Apr 26, 2010
    That's the thing, but I can't see it !

9. Awitty

Awitty Rookie

Apr 26, 2010
    Understood, although one did save my speciale. Perhaps the battery still had a bit of life

10. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    CTEK MXS-5 (5A) or an MXS-7 (7A) should be good enough to revive your battery. My F8 went flat a few weeks back, after just over 9-days un-tendered and now I know better!

Re the release, did you poke around the passenger footwell, has to be there some where. Maybe they changed to a red chord, as I've seen one dangling in one of them recently?

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I would look into the following rather than a booster. Boosters can work well - and they can fry your ECU's etc.

If you get this CTek charger
    https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/mxs-10-uk
    And use this adapter
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182967461758

You can use a powerful CTek charger via the outside magnetic charge point.

I have that adapter and it works great on both the 488 and Lusso.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    For the F8, would CTEK’s lithium charger be a better choice? The F8 has a lithium ion battery (at least US models do). I don’t know if it’s a LiFePO4 type though.
    I already have a 7002 (US equivalent to the MXS7 looks like), trying to figure out if I can just get the adapter, or if there’s an advantage to getting the lithium specific charger.

13. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I thought Lithium ion batteries was an option on F8s, at least I remember when I specd an F8 (subsequently cancelled and bought my Pista).

14. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    That’s what I thought. As I was looking through the manual for fuses to tap for a dash cam, I noticed the battery specifications only said lithium ion, which surprised me. I haven’t actually opened my battery compartment yet though, so maybe the manual is wrong.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lithium was not standard anywhere. If you have it, it should say so on the options list. You need to see what you got I think. Does your trickle charger have a serial number or part number on it? Post it and let me look it up.

16. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I definitely did not order the option, and I finally got a chance to climb into the footwell and take a look at the battery. I could make out a warning label on the top that said sulfuric acid on it, so it must be a lead acid battery.

What started me headed towards the lithium direction was the manual, which states it is lithium in both the specifications and emergency sections (see below). Then, since the battery maintainer is a new black oval shaped one (FixandGo model 501) different from the rebranded CTEKs, I thought OK, maybe they decided to switch to lithium and it needs a different maintainer... And perhaps there was a "standard" lithium battery, vs. the "lightweight" option...

My concern/understanding is that maintainers for lead acid batteries can shorten the life of lithium ion batteries.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you use a tender for a lead acid battery on a lithium battery, it will usually do nothing more than not charge the battery fully. The trickle charger is set to keep the lead acid battery at 12.9 volts. A lithium battery floats at 13.8 volts by comparison and can reach as high as 14.4 volts. In reality these chargers are very simple. They basically just read the battery voltage which is directly proportional to the charge level
    The lead acid battery tender can damage a lithium battery because it won't put the battery into storage charge. Lithium batteries don't like to be fully discharged.
    Now using a lithium tender on the lead acid battery is a much more dangerous game. It could potentially make the battery explode as it will overcharge the battery.
    The lithium battery charger like the CTek XS Lithium charges the battery to 14.4 volts and during the charge, voltage can easily reach over 16 volts of input. That's way above what a normal six cell lead acid battery is built for. In the best case it will cause damage from the rupture itself and the acid, and it the worst case, the hydrogen which over pressures the battery will ignite and cause a fire in the process.

Caeruleus11, Need4Spd and cchan842 like this.
  18. dbalcar

dbalcar Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    David
    On page 30/31 of the Owners manual appears to be a misprint as that data is from the 488 Pista. Since it lists the 0-60 at 2.85 and not the F8 of 2.9 also the Pista has the lithium battery. I ordered a antigravity battery and a CTEK lithium charger for my F8.

AD211 and cchan842 like this.
  19. nickbains26

nickbains26 Rookie

May 16, 2019
    Bay Area, CA
    Which battery and charger did you order? Thinking of doing the same

20. dbalcar

dbalcar Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    David
    Antigravity H6/Group-48 Lithium Car Battery - 40AH
    CTEK Lithium US Smart Charger 4.3A

nickbains26 likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  22. dbalcar

dbalcar Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    David
    I talked to Antigravity and they recommended the H6/Group-48 as the right battery, and they recommend a 40 or 60 Ah capacity for street use. Thanks for the suggestion I will look at the 60Ah as well.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Look at it this way.

Price difference is not important.

Weight difference between a 40 Ah and 60 Ah don't matter.

40 Ah vs. 60 Ah as actual functionality? A battery in a Ferrari can never have too many amps, only too few.

SVCalifornia likes this.
  24. nlpamg

nlpamg Karting

Oct 18, 2014
    How often do you have to trickle charge the car? After how many days of not driving it? Sorry for the n00b question, first Ferrari here. Thanks.

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    With the 60 ah AntiGravity, about 2 weeks, sometimes more. And should it sit too long, you just hit the button on the fob and you are good to go.

A stock battery? 3-5 days tops.