Coilovers for F355 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Coilovers for F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by jeffdavison, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    How will you address the stock shock adjuster motors that recenter the stock valves when you start the car and switch between comfort and race modes? Won't the ECU throw a dashlight thinking something is broken? Are you going to remove all stock components or just ignore the light?

2. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    stock shock motors are not used, removed when OEM shocks removed. Not sure if the shock light comes on or not, but I have removed the bulb. I believe it's on a dedicated circuit and it won't throw a C.E.L on the main ECU, so there is no issue here to worry about other than having a sport mode switch on the console that doesn't do anything..... I'll probably use that switch or fit another switch in its place that will work the front lifter.

OCKlasse likes this.
  3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Great approach, I'm very interested in how this all turns out. Thanks for posting this project.

4. coolzeal1

coolzeal1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2016
    what are your driving impression on the coilover, how do they compare to stock in term of street use?

sherpa23 and Cole_ve like this.
  5. Longtime355fan

Feb 24, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    Update please.

Steve Dekorte likes this.
  6. Steve Dekorte

Steve Dekorte Rookie

Jun 22, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    Any word on when this 355 kit can be ordered from MCS?

7. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Wyatt at MCS is a joy to work with. Responsive and knowledgeable. Don’t know about the 355 setup but he helped me a lot with my 964 and it’s now setup perfectly thanks to him.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Steve Dekorte likes this.
  8. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    What did you do with the factory motors on top of the bilstein shocks when you went with the aftermarket setup? Did you just disconnect them? Did you also remove the ECU?

I'm thinking of doing the same, but was wondering the implications of the other components like the Suspension ECU module, and on the F1 the sport switch is connected to the F1 tranny ECU, so I'm wondering if removing the bilstein one would affect the tranny as well.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I like the new bouncy bouncy thingys
    On my Christmas list :)

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Unfortunately, we don't have full wiring diagrams for the F1 car. On the non-F1 cars which have a shock absorber symbol warning light on the dash (not a SPORT light), the Bilstein Suspension ECU seems to be providing an earth to do 3 things:

Putting on the (soft) suspension light.
    Completing the switch backlighting circuit.
    Sending an earth to pin A-3 on the Bilstein Suspension ECU to put the suspension into soft mode.

On the F1 car, the switch internals could be different, the switch wiring could be different and the result of pulling back on the switch is definitely different. Why not just pull the plug on the Suspension ECU (yellow plug) and see what happens to the SPORT light? Does it still work? Does the switch backlighting still work?

11. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    My car modified and the electronic suspension replaced with traditional one. As it was done for racing (it’s a challenge) I can’t really comment on comfort vs standard set up.
    But it clearly can be done and no cel or anything.

12. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I will definitely it try it when I get around to it. But my main interest was 1) what to do with the red motors on the factory suspension if I go with aftermarket. Should I just disconnect those motors and leave the wires hanging?

2) if I'm not using the bilstein setup, can I remove the suspension ecu? Just disconnect and leave the wiring harness there?

If I can deal with the first two and have no errors or malfunctions then I will deal with what I can put in the sport switch space or just use that to control the setting for the f1 tcu.

13. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Did you leave the bilstein ecu module there?

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That's up to you, but why would you leave the motors sitting in the engine bay rattling around and looking out of place? They are valuable. The Bilstein ECU puts on the fault light when there is a fault, so removing the ECU entirely should prevent the light illuminating. However...

That's what you have to prove yourself (by disconnecting the plug/s). Even if the F1 behaves normally, you still want the SPORT switch to control the F1 system and not look dark when your sidelights/headlights are on. You have to prove that the Bilstein ECU does not supply an earth on the F1 car (for proper switch operation). I think at worst, you would have to simply provide a substitute earth on the (disconnected) Bilstein connector.

15. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    Any updates Jeff? MCS and Ramlift looks like a very good combination.

16. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    I am using a combination of Nitron and KW HLS. Besides a slight modification to the lower spring, it was almost essentially bolt in. I was looking into Ramlift, but a few videos of it in action scared me off.

ShineKen and Mark HT like this.
  17. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hopefully the OP Jeff has some updates

18. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    What is the problem with Ramlift system? Leaks?

19. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K

This vid says it all.

20. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Obviously something is wrong with the pump.
    It doesn't mean the lift system is no good.

I'm searching an aircup system that fit on a 355. Air is faster (and cleaner in case of leak) than hydraulic.

21. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    I know you’re looking for air cups, but honestly, the KW system has been great. Zero leaks, whisper quiet, extremely reliable.