Silly Season -2021 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Silly Season -2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, May 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    With his most likely alternative seat (Renault) now gone, Gasly staying at AT seems most likely. And lets be honest, it's really not such a bad seat to be in. Yes his chance at RBR again isn't looking good with Perez doing better than Gasly managed, but if he keeps performing as he does he'll become a good alternative for other teams to take a serious look at in the future.

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    He could also go to Aston Martin next season.

Bas likes this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I do agree; I was under the impression however that things are not going very smoothly between him and Red Bull management lastly...
    (By the way, "I do authorise myself to think " - litteral translation from the french "je m'autorise à penser", which is some form of understatement... - that at 80, it is time for Helmut Marko to retire and write his memoirs...)

Rgds

furoni, Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Good point, but that does depend on Vettel leaving...If Vettel leaves this year or after it seems a strong place for Gasly to move to. The other thing to consider I guess is Alonso at Alpine...if he continues to drive like he is now surely he'll leave earlier than expected.
    That was my feeling too, and a bit premature from Gasly to go on the attack with no real drives lined up (the resurgence of Ocon has spoiled Gasly's dinner). I put it down to being frustrated at not getting a 2nd shot at RBR. I don't blame RBR for it though...he was a fine driver at STR before his first stint at RBR, and I don't think RBR could afford a gamble with him at this point.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mercedes could delay decision on second 2022 F1 seat until winter
    By: Jonathan Noble
    Jun 18, 2021, 2:48 PM
    Mercedes may delay making a decision on its second 2022 Formula 1 seat until the winter, as it weighs up whether to retain Valtteri Bottas or take George Russell.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    While the German manufacturer hopes to nail down a fresh contract with Lewis Hamilton around the summer break, it is more uncertain about the timing of making a call on its second seat.

Both Bottas and Russell are out of contract at the end of this year, and there have been suggestions that the team could be poised to decide soon.

With Bottas having had some recent struggles, there was even wild speculation that Mercedes could announce signing Russell as early as the British Grand Prix.

But speaking at the French GP, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said that there was no rush to decide what to do – and that there was a chance the matter could drag on into the winter.

Asked about when there could be news, Wolff said: “Somewhere in the winter I think. But I don't know if it's December, January or February.”

Pushed on if the team would really wait that long, Wolff said: “It is highly possible because we have always been committed and loyal to the drivers. And this is what we're doing.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mercedes-could-delay-decision-on-second-2022-f1-seat-until-winter/6582862/

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I never thought Perez was hired to be a speed demon.

He’s there for stability and low maintenance. Fast enough to score points and, at times, the odd win - but nothing to frighten the team or Max. Not the best qualifier but who cares.

His rare genius of hypermiling rubber prevents Toto from resting easy with ANY race strategy.

And having TW’s earphones filled endlessly with bleatings from the goat wondering why Checo is staying out, is enough of a reason to believe his worth to RB is in constant ascension.

Genius move from the Cans to finally skip Minardi freshmen in order to secure a WCC and I predict plenty of mediocre qualis await.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

they where also kind of forced to go for an experienced driver this time rather than one of their AT boys. Their Gasly experiment was a shambles, whether it was inexperience or unable to deal with pressure only red bull knows. They ofcourse have the full data from AT and they either weren't impressed with Gasly (despite a win), knew he'd be unlikely to perform as well in the harder to drive red bull, or simply wanted an improved, more experienced Gasly to remain at AT in order to get that team more competitive.

I agree Perez isn't expected to challenge Verstappen at all, he is there purely to keep the Mercs at bay and don't give them free reign on the strategies they wish to run that day, something RBR didn't have with either Albon or Gasly. So far the move is paying off.

Jeronimo GTO and Isobel like this.
  8. DF1

I agree with this insight from Montoya. Bottas has been mis-managed in a way with constant 1 year deals. He should have been put on a 2 year contract for his first renewal.

Bottas needs quick decision on Mercedes future to ease pressure
    By: Luke Smith
    Jun 24, 2021, 5:18 AM
    Juan Pablo Montoya believes that a quick decision about Valtteri Bottas’ Mercedes Formula 1 future would ease the pressure on him and help improve his relationship with the team.

Bottas is out of contract at the end of the 2021 season, and faces competition for his seat from Mercedes junior George Russell, who has spent the past three seasons racing for Williams.

Mercedes has made clear that it will not rush into a decision about its line-up for 2022, while Bottas has sought to ensure thoughts about his future do not distract him.

Bottas has struggled in the early part of the 2021 season, finishing a race no higher than third and slipping to fifth place in the drivers’ championship, scoring less than half of team-mate Lewis Hamilton’s points total.

A difficult end to the race in France saw Bottas lose third place in the closing stages, having fumed over team radio about the decision to stick to a one-stop strategy.

Speaking about Bottas’ future, ex-F1 driver and two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Montoya felt that a quick decision from the team would help improve their relationship and ease the pressure on the Finn on-track.

“I think if they went to him and told him, you’re out, I think it would get a lot better, whether he’s going to be out or in,” Montoya told Motorsport TV Live.

“Whatever they decide they need to do, they need to do it quickly. Because at the moment, he’s in a really bad situation where they’re not telling him yes or no, just keep doing your job, and if you do your job, you might get a seat.

“That’s the worst situation to be in, because you want to go as fast as you can, but you don’t want to make any mistakes.

“That combination is terrible, because the pressure of screwing up week after week, it gets higher, and when things don’t go well, then the relationship with the team is not the best either.

“Either way, whether they commit to him or not, I think the pressure is going to stop.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    George Russell, Williams

Photo by: Jerry Andre / Motorsport Images

Russell is a free agent at the end of the season when his three-year deal with Williams comes to an end, making him an option for Mercedes to promote into its senior team.

The British driver has impressed throughout his time with Williams despite the team’s struggles, and showed his potential in a Mercedes car in Sakhir last year, stepping in after Lewis Hamilton tested positive for COVID-19.

Montoya said that Russell was “the obvious answer” to replace Bottas should Mercedes let him go, but was curious to see how he might fare up against Hamilton.

“I think the job he did before was outstanding,” Montoya said.

“We’ll see what happens when Russell has got to match up to Lewis. He might look really good in practice like Bottas does, and go into the race, and Lewis goes and beats him by 20-30 seconds.

“How Russell’s head reacts to that, and how he can react to that and overcome that, that’s going to be the key to success.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/montoya-bottas-needs-quick-decision-on-mercedes-future-to-ease-pressure/6602828/

9. DF1

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  11. DF1

It was supposed to be announced earlier. Then Bottas said there have been no talks and Toto confirmed that. Now its next week. No tomorrow lol. Rumor and no facts. I like Planet F1 they are good at generating clicks. Sometimes news lol. Brundle speculating with no facts. It was a done deal weeks ago per PlanetF1 then that died. Rah rah Brit GP weekend - perfect place for the Russell announcement. Thats an opinion. We will know when its announced. No one knows anything.

Personally its better to keep Bottas next year and in the last year of LH contract move Russell up for his only year with LH. But but.....rumors are LH might sign another contract per Toto yesterday in the press lol.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Toto and Bottas do not have to have had a "talk" for Toto to have made the decision already.

Bas likes this.
  13. DF1

They both denied weeks ago a decision was made.

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    And criminals deny their guilt, too, almost 100% of the time.
    That does not change the facts which will transpire when it is time for us to know.

Bas likes this.
  15. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Russell had a cheeky post on the 'gram yesterday. I think he signaled the call up is official.

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The call up is all over Google-News.

17. DF1

Really???

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russell-nothing-will-be-announced-about-my-f1-future-at-silverstone/6629653/

Russell: "Nothing will be announced" about F1 future at Silverstone
    By: Luke Smith
    Jul 13, 2021, 6:05 AM
    George Russell has claimed that "nothing will be announced" about his Formula 1 future over this weekend's British Grand Prix amid continued links to a Mercedes drive for 2022.

Current Williams driver Russell is in contention to join Mercedes for next year as Lewis Hamilton's teammate, having been part of the team's junior programme since 2017.

Mercedes has said that it will decide between Russell and current driver Valtteri Bottas at some point over the summer, with both drivers' existing contracts due to expire at the end of the season.

But Russell has revealed that no news will arrive about his future at his home grand prix at Silverstone, denying that he has already secured a deal with Mercedes for 2022.

In the latest episode of the F1 Nation podcast, Russell was asked if he had signed for Mercedes and replied: "I signed with Mercedes five or six years ago now.

"That is 100% true. As everybody knows, they look after me.

"But with regards to my drive for next year, nothing has been signed or sealed, and nothing will be announced in Silverstone.

18. DF1

Alfa Romeo could replace both Raikkonen and Giovinazzi in F1 for 2022
    By: Jonathan Noble
    Jul 17, 2021, 8:23 AM
    Alfa Romeo has not ruled out replacing both its Formula 1 drivers next year, with Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi being urged to lift their game.

william likes this.
  19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's long overdue.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  20. DF1

Yes they are both not worth paying for any longer.

Giallo 550, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  21. DF1

Formula One champions Mercedes are aiming to decide Lewis Hamilton's 2022 team mate before the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa at the end of August, team boss Toto Wolff said on Friday.

The choice is effectively between continuing with Finnish incumbent Valtteri Bottas or promoting 23-year-old Mercedes-contracted British driver George Russell from struggling Williams.

Seven-times world champion Hamilton this month signed a new two-year contract that will keep him at Mercedes until the end of 2023.

Bottas has said he wants to sort out his future over the summer break and Wolff told reporters that Mercedes were aligned on the time scale.

22. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Translation: we’ve already picked RUS, he already knows, will honor BOT timeframe to keep him engaged, better situation for MERC all around.

23. DF1

Better how. Bottas has ensured multiple titles. Perez cant keep it on the track or even get close to Max. If you are winning both titles what is broken. Makes more sense for George to stay at Williams 1 more year, get used to the new cars/formula and join LH in his last year with Mercedes and move into the team #1 role.

If they do know and have signed George delaying it gives Bottas fewer options. Thats not keeping him engaged at all. More time is better than less. Just like Vettel at Ferrari. He had a full season to sort his next move.

24. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    BOT asked to have thru the summer break to sort what he wants out, he is limiting himself. I like BOT, but believe Toto is looking into the future and wants RUS with HAM for two years so he is ready when HAM retires.

25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Truth is Mercedes would have been dominant this year like the last seven years Russell wouldn’t have any chance to replace Bottas.
    Wolff absolutely don’t care about George’s career.
    Now he needs a better driver than Bottas because the Red Bull pairing is really threatening.

375+ likes this.