Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Announcing New Sports Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    nothing new there. BMW's 4.4L TT since 2008? others previous?

2. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OMG, what have they done???????? :(

3. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I really like it but would prefer round tail lights :)

Nospinzone and kes7u like this.
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The "hot vee" layout in the BMW N63 was the first for production cars, but it's not the only as the other German car manufacturers do it now, too. Caddy's Blackwing V8 as well.

BJK and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  5. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

US price info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ACross32

ACross32 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    Bay Shore, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sad to see they're still recycling the 458 architecture for yet another model. It's been here since 2009 and they squeezed four models out of it, rather than the normal two. I don't hate it, but I can't wait to see what's next.

FerrariFR33458 and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  8. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Really? This is what they came up with ? A smaller version of the SF90 which doesn't look good at all in my opinion. So now there are 2 cars in the ferrari lineup that look like a lotus! Wonderful

V12addict likes this.
  9. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    I don't care how many horse powers it makes, it's just another design flop. And " fun to drive" ??? where is the manual gear box ?

10. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    When people talk about "manual gearbox" I always chuckle to myself because the assumption is that "everyone wants one"...... Ferrari spent £10 million developing a manual gearbox for the California and I believe sold about 5 cars the remaining 10k units opted for an auto. They will never do it again... and dont mention Porsche etc because the economies of scale are polar opposites.

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I had a manual 430. It accounted for 2% of production I believe.
    When it came time to sell.............crickets. 10 yrs later now they are selling for a premium.
    I was amazed at how few people could actually drive a manual. :eek:

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Certainly not everybody wants one, but I will mention Porsche because it does confirm demand, as does the current market for 575s with manual transmissions. And while the £10million development cost seems excessive, it would have been recovered across the 10,000 unit California platform, not just allocated to the few manual equipped cars sold.

V12addict likes this.
  13. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I had a manual 430 way back in '07. It was such an AMAZING car to drive. I loved every moment behind the wheel. To this day, even when I am getting in my 488 I still think about my manual 430.

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Obviously a lot of thought and planning went into developing this car. To my eye it’s the most pleasing Ferrari in the current lineup. But.....

If I have my facts correct (from the press release and Autoweek), the 296GTB starts at $321,000. The battery power will move the car 15 miles. May I ask, what’s the point? May I further ask, how much could the price have been reduced if development, production and potential warranty costs for the hybridization had been eliminated? And how much would performance have been enhanced without the extra weight of the hybrid system?

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    0-60, 0 to whatever. Instant torque off the line ;)

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It isn’t worth much to me. I’d be giddily happy with what the ICE engine is capable of. :)

I don’t like to pay for spec sheet, bragging-rights, performance that I’d rarely use. Besides, spec sheet performance dominance is fleeting.:(

Pawilly and 3POINT8 like this.
  17. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    Well at least for all of us who have v12 or V8 Ferrari prices will hopefully rise! I’m just glad it’s not an SUV.

3POINT8 likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Actually, I like solar exactly because of "The Man" - I hate being beholden to some huge quasi-governmental utility. I like to depend on myself as much as I can, hence - having solar panels and battery backup when the sun is low/raining. I get some people don't mind depending on others = gas corporations and Islamic Terrorist supporting OPEC countries. What can I say? I like being independent and in control of my family's power supply. The fact that it's cheaper and I don't waste time going to gas stations or Jiffy Lube is a bonus.

As for the last point, electric powertrains are about 1/5 the components of an ICE powertrain. Ask any automotive engineer, they are much simpler than ICE = lower cost.

This is a 450hp electric engine. We're at most only in the second inning of electric powertrains. These will get more powerful, smaller, lighter, and yes - cheaper.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tbakowsky likes this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I absolutely love it.

jm2 likes this.
  20. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Spectacular,Absolutely a Ferrari, beauty plus a Modern power delivery..

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Looks good..but I can guess exactly how it will drive. Dare I say it will be very much Mclearn feeling.

22. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Not sure how many buyers would buy this over an F8.Slightly higher price, more HP but heavier. And at this power output, how much power can you really use on the street in a rear wheel drive car? Three sets of rear tires a year instead of two?? Ferrari missed the chance to make a great, engaging car. It could have been a 2,900 lbs. car with no hybrid and around 600 HP. Small, short wheel base....a nimble, high-engagement car for around $225K, maybe. Why not make this instead of stealing buyers from the F8.
    I do like the smoother flowing lines and the 250 LM design echo.

Jack-the-lad and Stackhouse like this.
  23. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I absolutely love it. This car is for the drivers...not the posers. No bragging rights. Just amazing engine layout - hot V6! Lighter, smaller...very fast!

Love the styling, so much sleeker than what I have seen of Ferrari recently. I bet this will be the best driving Ferrari for street use. Heck I may even order one!

24. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Interesting how nobody has mentioned the single exhaust pipe and no LED steering wheel.

25. Bwbret

Bwbret Rookie

Jun 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bret Bailey
    Any idea on interior room? I am a tall guy and fit in an F8.