NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 147 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I guess time will tell.

Ray

2. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    Have you owned a 458? I think their value is about to go up even more after this morning

mepassione, Mikael-F360 and RayJohns like this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think Ferrari themselves are a bit lost as well. Next up there will probably be an SUV coming down the pipeline. After that, who knows?

I'm surprised people are still buying any of these new cars; no sooner than they are announced and built, something else comes along to replace it. I mean, there are people still ordering F8's - which won't arrive for months - and now the F8 is practically outdated by Ferrari standards. It reminds me a lot of Windows and Apple... and companies like Facebook and Instagram, who are constantly making changes for no apparent reason. No sooner do you install something and figure it out, than oops, there is a totally new version released.

Ferrari is starting to feel a lot like that. Give it 9 months and there will be talk of this 296GTB being replaced by "the next great thing"

Ray

JonnySK likes this.
  4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I tend to agree with you. Anyone with any sense or taste is shopping for a 458 Italia. The 296 is neat and all, but I have to wonder how many hardcore Ferrari enthusiasts are actually rushing out to place orders.

Ray

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  5. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I know I said I was going to wait but the face and headlights just suck!!!!!! WHY, usually Ferrari does an amazing job on their faces, this and the SF90 JUST SUCK, just SUPER LAZY styling and generic/non ownable. only the Fiorano version looks remotely exotic, and at least not like the SF90 anchor shape.

Gazza21, 1881 and Lesia44 like this.
  6. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    The Artura is the Sports Series (entry level) replacement. The 296 will be replacing the 458/488/F8 line, thus competing with the Mclaren 720S/765LT replacement.

F2003-GA and BJK like this.
  7. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Such a shame it didn’t look like that.

Napoli and 9nb like this.
  8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Except it's actually had its place in history cemented, end of the line for non-hybrid V8 rear-mid-engine, the F8 will forever be that car, if anything, I suspect, ordering demand for them just went up.

Not everyone wants a big battery behind the seats, in the cabin with them, hidden behind a thin cover, but, like the SF90, it's there.

9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    My point is that performance wise, the 765 already competes with the SF90. Assuming the 720 replacement will be even faster than the 765 (as impossible as that sounds), it will match or exceed SF90 performance.... so not really a direct competitor of the 296 except for price, maybe.

Napoli likes this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    There has to be a LARGE price difference to keep F8 sales viable, right?

11. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    Testing at Fiorano. You can get a sense of the sound without any audio trickery from ferrari's marketing department.

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    easy. HYBRID. Instant torque off the line takes .5 to 1 sec off times.

13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I was wondering the same thing. Also, if they dramatically increase production of the 296 at a cheaper price, will it drag down the value of the other models?? Remember, Montezemolo always used to think about maintaining exclusivity by keeping production under control. But now as a public company they are always under pressure to increase, increase, increase . . . .

Otherwise I think "The New Dino" looks wonderful.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    If that matters, yes, but, I am thinking it does not matter because of the 296GTB being hybrid and the F8 not.

Even if the price was identical, not everyone wants a plug-in hybrid.

From what I understand the F8 order book is almost entirely closed if not already closed in most countries. So it may be moot if you cannot order an F8.

Just the same, Ferrari has a stated goal of increasing prices so it would only make sense for the 296GTB to have a higher base than the F8.

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Nice! I must remind everybody that in one of the "New Dino" threads, I did come up with 296 for 2.9L V6 as one of the possible names. First time I've ever been sorta/kinda right about anything! :D

It is a pretty car, and the tone, though subdued, is actually kind of macho.

stavura, Scudmsl, rob5819 and 6 others like this.
  16. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    The problem with the design of this car is the headlights. This completely breaks the front / rear harmony.They are a disaster !!!
    After that, basically, it's a digital car, an "i-Ferrari".
    Personally, I would spend my money on an MC 20 if I were a buyer.
    Apart from the Ferrari badge, there is nothing left, it is a "totally" artificial car ...

evil17, Ash Patel and 500tr like this.
  17. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I won't trade in for the 296, that is, if they ever build mine!!

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    can't wait for head to head reviews between MC20 and Artura (and 296 tho it's a step up in PRICE and power)

SVR likes this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed- I’d love to know how the driving experience feels though between the 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. B-side

B-side Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Any solid/inside intel (besides a couple of industry sites) on when first orders are projected to land? And to the seasoned vets, does configurator normally go live on launch day (I saw a post earlier today in this thread from a dealer suggesting that it would, but not sure how much credence to give that)?

21. Natkingcolebasket69

It’s not bad. F8 needs an exhaust to sound good.

graeme355, Shadowfax and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

M’y dealer told me today for configurator

Jonathan19 and B-side like this.
  23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ferrari will lose a lot of mid engine buyers if all they offer is a V6.

24. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    If you look at the silver car from the rear and replace the yellow with red, it looks like a set of lips. Maybe they should call this version the “Mick Jagger”.

Wish they would have moved further away from the 458 style. They need to bring back Pinaferinna

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This is true. It’s shame though. Why does it have to be that way?

F2003-GA likes this.