NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 149 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Ferrari is offering a lot more car. On top of the fact the Ferrari brand adds $$$ if you do not buy it someone else will. Mac do not have that same level of brand power. Funny how you focus on $$$ instead of performance, Looks, handling, Passion, History, fun to drive factors.

Ale55andr0 likes this.
  2. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    The replacement for the 720s/765LT will more than likely use the V6 from the Artura and hybrid. The upcoming Aston Martin Vanquish will either have the bugs worked out of the TT hot V V6 and hybrid drive, or use the Mercedes AMG M176/M177/M178 4.0 liter V8. Which apparently the Valhalla will be using. That upcoming Vanquish will be the 296GTB competitor.
    There is no evidence that this is in the same class as the Artura. From hp, torque, stats, pricing, and even styling. This is in another class. It’s a huge 100+ horsepower leap over the 488 Pista and F8. Whereas the Artura is modest in comparison to its hp gain over the 600LT/620R.
    Bottom line is that people have a hard time dealing with the fact that the RWD V8 line ended with the F8. Just like people had a hard time dealing with the fact that the front engined Corvette ended. You want a V8, it’s either going to be the Roma or the Portofino (V8 for now), or the AWD SF90.

Dela and ScrappyB like this.
  3. B-side

B-side Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    I dont think you got Dela’s point. In any case; continuing the thread: 296 and Artura aren’t competitors; 296 is 40-50% higher on purchase price. Agree with Dela. There is some inelasticity in these price ranges but not with a 40-50% price gap.

330i, Dela and ScrappyB like this.
  4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    First the Ferrari Roma and now this. Ferrari is finally making cars i like again. Its been ~15 years of ugly cars.

So refreshing to see them moving away from the ugly to the curvy and sensual again.

SECRET, tomc, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    To people like me and many others on this board who have ZERO interest in a V6 or toaster oven.

6. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Nicolas21 likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I would have been very surprised if you had said 296 was the better looking out of the two so i take your post as an extremely positive sign for both Ferrari and the new 296!

Understandably there will be a lot of sour grapes in the SF90 owners camp - i mean how could there not be - but even they would have to accept Ferrari had to do something. There was simply no way in this world that Ferrari was ever going to perpetuate SF90’s disastrous rear end. It was never going to happen. But im glad you like it ;).

Coincid and SECRET like this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    There is a Enzo so there should be a Dino. 296Dino or Dino296. WTH there was a 246 Dino No?

9. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but there have been several members who have posted in the past several pages who have explicitly stated that they wouldn’t be interested in this car if it comes at a $100k+ premium over the MC20 or Artura. I think that addresses the price inelasticity question...

Can we just accept the fact that the modern era of super cars doesn’t necessarily follow any strict price/performance guidelines? You have everything from NA flat 6 to NAV12 with TTV6 and TTV8 hybrid/non-hybrids in between, hp ranging from 500 all the way up to 1000 and price points starting at $200k going to $700k+. It is a futile exercise to attempt to categorize all of these cars into specific groups that must “compete” with one another. Let’s just accept each car for what it is and if you have the money, then by all means try them all out and buy your favorite.

10. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you for saying this.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, true, but think of how many new customers they'll gain when they start making EV panel vans...

Ray

12. Dela

Dela Karting

Aug 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    D
    Still not getting your logic, but what makes sense to one person doesn’t have to make sense to another.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Nicolas21, tomc and crinoid like this.
  14. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Your point is only because of a price difference. So your say because of that you can't compare that's a joke when on most our factors they are similar

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They have 4 models I believe, I think you are confusing with Ferrari.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How many versions of the 720s do they have? Like 5?

4re4ever and perrinnation like this.
  17. Dela

Dela Karting

Aug 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    D
    Most? Like HP is the same? Performance is the same? Those impact price. You completely miss the point, but to each their own.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Roma is amazing.
    296 is gorgeous.
    Though I do disagree about “15 years of ugly.”
    :)

anunakki, SAT4RE and 4re4ever like this.
  19. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN

Great B roll footage video. If you want to see details in motion this extra footage provides many new angles if not already shown. For one I couldn’t really figure out the roof line and then I saw it is cut out like a roof spoiler and looks awesome and mimics the rear Kamm spoiler. Also views of the active rear spoiler. Really get a better understanding of the reduced size of this vehicle. I always felt the 458 lineage had too much front overhang addressed best visually by the Pista but this reduces that and with the upward angle helps the nose scrape concern. My Roma has no issues at all with approach angles or parking curbs which is so nice on a daily driver.

Anyone know if the AF package will not allow a front lift like the SF90 AF?

Also thanks for the color render may be the car to have my first Yellow Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomw384 and Dolcevita like this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Theres the 720 and the 765, similar to the 488 and Pista oh and the F8.

Coincid likes this.
  21. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I’m finding the 296 GTB to be an absolute STUNNER. For every line I had to get used to on the SF90…and ultimately came to love….the 296 just pleases my eyes right off the bat. Gorgeous flowing lines. Smooth and sensual and tidy where the F8 had overly fussy bits and the Pista was more brutal and raw looking.

Some of the negative comments here on the design of this lovely piece……just….wow.

Amazing how different eyes and brains can decipher and process the same thing that sits in front of them.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    SO you agree they have too many variations of the same car.

4re4ever and Dela like this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The 296 is more cute than a stunner. It looks nice from most angles but I can see some Camaro in the rear end. I bet it will look better in person though. Biggest issue will be the weight and whether or not the electronics and battery management will be up to par. This is what I would be most concerned about.

Thecadster, SECRET and Dela like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree that they have 2 and Ferrari has 3. I know that if you are using Demuro as your reference you shouldn't be commenting on these cars.

Thecadster, Shadowfax, BJK and 2 others like this.
  25. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I honestly love it. One thing I will nitpick though as I watch the b-roll video above is that Ferrari mirrors have gotten less and less exciting to look at. I don't know why, but sculpted mirrors from Ferrari seem to be nice to look at from outside the car, while the view of the shape and the stalk supporting the mirror from the inside are sometimes so boring and... Toyota parts-bin like.