NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 153 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The V6 engine is superb: they asked for a 225 Hp/liter engine, but it ended up that this engine can be a 250 hp/liter one. Rumors tell this, but I didn't see it with my eyes, of course. The 650 hp that rumors told me (three years ago!!) were correct (they are even more), so very likely it will be the other one.

As said, the V6 engine project leader is a very skilful guy

ciao

Thecadster, 9nb, 4re4ever and 3 others like this.
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe a few SF90 orders getting cold feet already? Who would even consider it now? Maybe the uber rich with FU money...

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    SF90 (like Honda NSX, that was the inspiration) has the "active front cornering power aid" due to the two independent electric front engines: 296 hasn't. And SF90 has 200 HP more: This 296 is intended for who still wants the RWD emotion, but in the next future all supercars will have the active front power cornering like the SF90, that enhances the drive to another level.

ciao

JJ77, gzachary, isot and 1 other person like this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I certainly wouldn't want to be in the shoes of an SF90 owner let alone customer with an irrevocable order in play ....that's their problem and i'm sure they can afford it. But let's face it, it was inevitable Ferrari had to move away from such a polarizing design plus the car really has still yet to strike any cords with the journos regardless of the performance attributes. What will strike cords is what they say they've now built into 296 plus 296 looks appealing.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Now I can tell the early rumors. I was in Maranello, a bit more than three years ago. The V6 engine still was on the test bench: it was just completed and put on the test bench for the first time. The source told that everyone was impressed as the first time they tested the all new V6 engine top power, the figure was over 700. And not by one or two only. And then added: "The guy who is working on this engine is brilliant!" The source was an old man, a Ferrari veteran, that knew what he was talking about.

Many other rumors followed, from other sources: all were correct. The Dino name was only my idea (and was the only wrong thing I wrote...)

Ciao

6. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    What I like best is that was 3 years ago imagine where this guy has taken the V6 since.

7. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    there will be no non-hybrid version of the 296.
    I have always thought that we should keep the MC 20 and take away 200 kg.
    But customers are only interested in the power figures, even if they don't know how to use it.

8. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    This, as a 296 Dino and the hybrid as a 296H, would – I believe – have made a broader range of people happier and given Ferrari 2 new models (4 including spiders) with comparatively little extra R&D costs. Customers then get to choose "old school" (real go kart) or "modern" (HP wars).

Problem, amongst many that would cause for Ferrari Marketing, is to position both they would have to reduce the non-hybrid price and turnover is just as important as margin to a public company.

9. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Still seems crazy to me that they can extract so much power out of V6 and there's still room for improvement (720+). Wonders of skilled engineers.

10. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I'm really in love with this 296 GTB, depending on the price I'm really thinking about buying one (My first Ferrari!) anyone know when the configurator will be available?

Dela likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Amazing.
    Imagine the potential for a 6L V12? Seems as though 812SF motor has a lot of room to grow in power.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Of course they are always trying something new, but the 296 is not supposed to have maximum downforce, like the SF90 Stradale. Also, it will certainly spawn a Spider version.

The 918 came before the Honda and that surely was more of an inspiration.

13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #3813 Napoli, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Because you lack observational astuteness and the intestinal fortitude to say it yourself? Or, you are just intolerant of differing opinions?

perrinnation and Viperjoe like this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I thought the same thing, but my Ferrari salesperson says that he already had 50 plus orders even BEFORE the reveal. It may well be complete madness, and it may be hard to compute, but the car is going to sell in massive numbers. I mean, the reception on this board has been shockingly positive.

15. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019

it's related to turbo engines....due to the law emission the na v12 will remain tied to the 800 plus something horsepower

italiafan likes this.
  16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    296 GTB price here in Italy is 220 K euro +22% IVA. The detaxed USA price should be around 270 K USD

Mizio, crinoid, TheF1BOB and 2 others like this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    True.
    Just wondering where they can go with the V12. Twin low-pressure turbos, maintain as much V12 sound as possible (starting with a great NA harmony) and easily clear 1000 hp.
    Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want it, I think the “hp wars” are like the lunacy of the Cold War...who cares if you can blow the whole earth up 1000x over?

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Who is your dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Mj_1963217

Mj_1963217 Karting

Mar 4, 2013
    It's interesting that both Ferrari and Mclaren a
    Fascinating both Ferrari and Mclaren arrived at the same engine architecture solution, both are 120° hot-V6TT and similar battery capacity, would be interesting to see a comparison between the two, and real world feedback from the drivers in the near future.

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    But your 296 non-hybrid wouldn't have a reverse gear. I agree though, a non-hybrid version would be a fine car and realistically more than enough for most buyers.

21. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I very much agree with this point.

The SF 90 provides a higher level of control with the front electric motors (I have a Gen 2 NSX and its makes me a better driver and makes the car more go cart like). The SF 90 is is realistically at a much higher price point (more for the $50 million in assets and above crowd).

The 296 will be insane fun.

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Car is attractive. Need to see it in person. Above all else, must drive it. Serious concern is reliability on a new technology for Ferrari.

23. renzone

renzone Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    lorenzo rossi
    I would have expected a greater containment of weights, about 60-70 kg less. And a little more nastiness in the front. However, it obviously deserves to be seen live, first of all, and to see how it turns in the tests and in direct confrontations.

24. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    For people who may have missed the press conference video posted further back, the price is 269,000 Euros (including tax) and the Asseto Fiorano is 302,000 Euros (including tax). You can do your own conversion rates to your currency of choice.

Delivery is Q1 of 2022 for Europe, other countires following later.

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Clearly I upset you with my (somewhat) aggressive retort, and for that I am sorry and apologize. However, as you are no doubt aware by being a member here since 2017 that in a discussion of virtually every new Ferrari design someone mentions a comparison to a ‘vette in some way shape or form (which is why I stated it took less than an hour for it to appear). Hence my frustrated retort about it being “trite.” That is all I intended to convey; that it is “trite,” as in commonly overplayed over the years. Not that it needs explaining but there are only so many ways cars can look differently to each other, especially 2 seater sports cars—2 doors, 4 wheels, front and rear fascia, safety regulations, etc, etc.
    Again, I am sorry you were upset by my comment and let’s all move on shall we?

[gTr], Viperjoe and Senna1994 like this.