One year thoughts on owning an 812 Superfast | FerrariChat

One year thoughts on owning an 812 Superfast

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by czlandi, Jun 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    It’s been one year and 5000 miles since receiving my long awaited 812 and I wanted to share what I know now and wish I had known when it first arrived.

It was not love at first sight coming from a long list of V8s but the first F car I spec’ed myself, exactly as I wanted it, without much thought to the cost. Grigio Ferro with cuoio interior. A bit of carbon, not too excessive, Daytona racing seats and yes, thank god for Apple CarPlay. I couldn’t resist the painted badges…

As time and the miles have passed, I have come to love this car and relish every minute in it. It’s a keeper and I will not part with it.

For those considering this car as the depreciation sets in and it becomes more affordable, here are some practical tips:

1. If it has stock Pirelli P-Zeros and you will do short drives on normal roads, get rid of them as a first priority. They are hard to warm up and will conspire to kill you without mercy especially in the wet. The investment in Michelin Pilot Sport 4s was the best decision I made. They transformed the car’s handling into something fun and exhilarating and at the same time, livable with.

2. The non GPF cars sound better, but the GPF cars still sound amazing after 2000 miles and the GPF is burnt in. If you have neighbors and you don’t want them to sneak into your garage at night and put a match in your gas tank, don’t change the exhaust.

3. Be very careful when getting in and out of the car that the seat belt buckle does not close in the door and wreck your bodywork. This is expensive to repair! If you use the clip in the top of the racing seat this will happen. Tell your passengers first!

4. Follow the oil check procedure in the manual as bizarre as it is. 812s drink 1 quart/litre of 10w40 every 1000 miles in my experience. The oil light will not come on to tell you. You will eventually hear a ticking sound as the oil gets low. Know what it is!

5. The start up procedure is what it is. The stupid warning message, the radio always on at start up to Off. Cancelling the Engine On/Off.
    Opening the mirrors, suspension lifter on to leave the garage… I have a checklist I follow with a “Remove before Flight” sign to remind me each time I get in the car.

6. I put full self healing Expel ppf on my car from mile 0 and have been so glad I made the investment. Not a single stone chip yet.

These are the quirks I’ve come to live with and wish I knew earlier. It is a truly amazing car, full of character and brings me a very high smiles per mile factor. Maybe the end of the line for the naturally aspirated V12s but I’m so glad to have had the chance to own it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Albert-LP, Gh21631, Pedronz and 37 others like this.
  2. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Ha, we all have our startup procedures! Start stop off, turn off auto mode, suspension lifter to back down driveway etc.

One important one is remove the battery tender so it doesn't yank off!

Anyway I agree with your thoughts. This car is a keeper.

One thing I will say is that I'm not so sure this car is going to depreciate significantly from this point. You can't buy a new V12 coupe at this point from Ferrari...

F1 Tico, lovatof1, 430jm and 3 others like this.
  3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 +1, Truly loved mine. Alas, I had to trade it in. . .
    . . . GTS delivery next week.

Pedronz, Gazza21, RossoF8 and 2 others like this.
  4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks for the write up. And kudos for you for putting 5k on it in a year. I have an F12 and whole heartedly agree with #1 and #6!!!

lovatof1 likes this.
  5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    true confession - i have yanked the battery tender out of my 458...not proud of it....

F1 Tico, Tech Nerd and Thecadster like this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Excellent synopsis, thanks!
    I now have 5.5K miles on my ‘19 812SF and fully agree, especially about the tires.
    Amazing machine.

My son drove off in the SF and forgot about the tender, when I came back to the garage in a different car backing in I ran it over since it was now in the middle of the floor, and destroyed it...$600.

7. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    So ,do you think Cars without GPF sound better but with a lower volume compared to the one with GPF?

8. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Fully agreed on getting the Michelin tires, the Pirellis are not good at all. If you want to improve the handling a bit more you could put novitec springs on the car. I love mine. Get the alignment checked as well, it makes a big difference to have it perfectly dialed in.

Checking the oil often is pretty key. I buy cases of the oil on Amazon and keep it in the garage to top off when needed.

I’m glad you’re out enjoying your car! @GameMaker and I are both above 10k miles, and are vying for the lead on the 812SF with the most miles lol

Pedronz, Bundy, F1 Tico and 1 other person like this.
  9. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    The non GPF cars IMHO sound better and louder. However my experience on my car with GPF is that the Ferrari rasp develops over time as the GPF wears in. It’s a different sound but still good.

Pedronz likes this.
  10. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Better than closing your seat belt buckle in the door I can assure you…

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Image Unavailable, Please Login My start up Check List!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. alexandra-ny

alexandra-ny Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexandra
    That's dedication! Great idea.

I fully agree with you that the 812 is to be kept. After having it a couple of years, and looking back there are some configuration choices I wish I'd done differently, but I'll still not sell it. I have six months before my GTS arrives, and although I hear it's a slightly different beast compared to the SF, if it's anything close it will be amazing.

Oh, and I've done the seatbelt buckle/door/bodywork magic trick in an S-class. My son thought it was hilarious how closing a door can make mummy swear so much.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Thanks for the nice writeup... I got mine 18 months and every time I take it for a drive it's a big event w big smile

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

F1 Tico and Thecadster like this.
  14. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Gazza21 and Thecadster like this.
  15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Ppf will not come off easy after 3 years.. watch out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Couldn't agree more. My TM F12 is a keeper for life, I love the very soul of the car.

JTSE30 likes this.
  17. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    which configuration changes would you make? (I’m not locking in my GTS for several months)

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Congratulations. These are excellent cars. The radio coming on by itself at startup still puzzles me.

19. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Got any pictures?

20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Having had both the SF (no GPF and Pirellis)and now the GTS (GPF and Michelin’s)both are fantastic vehicles and sound great in their own right out of the box and plenty loud with and without GPF just a bit different. The Michelins are much better than the Pirellis, no contest there, but they mark up my garage floor very easily.
    The battery tender survived my SF backing out of the garage with it still attached- less so my ego.
    Apple car play which I had on my SF I used maybe 3 times- it was clunky without a touch screen, still suffered the SFs small screen which is barely readable for my aging eyes and using Waze I use the audio prompts primarily when I drive. I don’t miss it one bit on the GTS.
    The upgraded sound system is a must if you listen to any music at hearable volume- the SFs standard system was an embarrassment- even listening to AM news.
    The lift and paint protection a must to prevent you from going crazy on US roads
    Any glitches with either car? If you call an inoperable start stop function on the SF a glitch yes. I just wish I had it on my GTS… Despite it still being operable on my GTS, the GTS will be a keeper. It checks all the right boxes for me and the wrong boxes it checks which are few( slightly less leg room and seat recline at 6’2”) are more than offset by the open top motoring. No it may not be the better track car (but nether is the SF) but roadsters IMHO are the epitome of a sports car for the road.
    Commit this timeout to memory-
    Disconnect trickle charger
    Push start
    Disable start/stop
    Engage lift(if needed)
    Mannetino set to race
    Set to bumpy road mode(I live in NY)
    Disengage auto mode
    You are cleared for take off!

Happy motoring to all the 812 owners out there as we burn fossil fuels! Automotive Dinosaurs running on super unleaded dinosaurs…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    I’m 2 months into my GTS ownership and it’s a sublime car. Every single box is checked for an all round amazing car.
    One minor complaint is the passenger display, it doesn’t interface with apple car play and has little use.
    This car will never leave my garage. Sure there will be faster electric and hybrid cars but nothing will stir the soul like this car. For all you SF and GTS owners, congratulations and don’t even think of selling.
    Only other note is map out gas stations on any road trip. I understand my car is still new but I’m getting about 180 miles per tank, but every one of them is thrilling.

nimamd, nickorette, RamsHmb and 2 others like this.
  22. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I’ve had my GTS for 8 months and over 6k miles. Love it.

I’ve see a lot of people on here complain about the Pirelli PZ. I had them on both my SF and now GTS and must say I’ve never had any issues. Traction seems great, even in the wet. You do need to give them a bit of time warm up, but that’s pretty standard for any tyre? I have done mostly road driving with a bit of track

I do plan to switch to the Michelin PS when the current ones are worn and will be interested to feel the difference.

I’m just surprised people are so negative on the Pirelli, based on my experience

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Lucky son! How old is he?
    Hope he paid for a new tender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    812 competizione

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    21...but he’s been driving my Ferrari’s and Porsche’s since age 16...he adores cars. His favorite is the ‘18 GT3 with manual transmission. He is extremely responsible and respectful of both the machines and their power...I trust him completely.
    I paid for it since I forgot to remind him about the charger and he was back from college and hadn’t driven the car in many months...simple mistake.

812N1, Pedronz, Solid State and 3 others like this.