The all-new 296GTB | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The all-new 296GTB

Discussion in '296' started by gabf1, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Makes sense. Do you know how many of these suckers they’re going to build? Will it be like they now have cars in the showroom?

I remember just a few months before the pandemic hit when I went into the Beverly Hills dealership and they had brand new 488 cars for sale. One on the showroom floor and about around 10 below Deck. Are we going back to that now?

2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    So dry weight is 300 pounds heavier than the F8 and 500 pounds heavier than the 765LT. The engine sits very low in the chassis which surely helps keep it nimble.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think it’s more fair to compare to Artura, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    That’s logical. The GTB is 165 pounds heavier than the Artura. This is based on claimed dry weights from each manufacturer. Ideally we should be comparing real world weights (with fluids) of customer cars.

boxerman likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sorry this Mac Autura does NOTHING for me. ZERO. NADA. ZILTCH. McLaren has become a one trick pony.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

kes7u, Ale55andr0, sd dave and 8 others like this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So they lopped off 2 cylinders, added this flat electric motor, put in a battery behind the seats, and still reduced the wheelbase by 2 inches from the F8.

Impressive.

polishhammer83 likes this.
  7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    No need to apologize for your opinions.

Shadowfax, Boomhauer and TheMayor like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’s not very flattering if them to put F8 as lowest fun and lowest performer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I’m happy to post the entire PDF if someone can explain how to upload an 8MB file

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Not a fan of that color for sure. I would like to see that car side by side with the 296 though.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sending you a PM

12. Jonathan Collins

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Collins
    Anything new people are generally ready to criticize. To me hybrid cars are there own thing….not necessarily a replacement for a turbo or NA car; they are something different and should be appreciated/compared as such. I have a GT3 as well and won’t be comparing it to the 296GTB; they are different things.

Nospinzone and of2worlds like this.
  13. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    I agree, a poor design, and also the rear is totally strange for a Ferrari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Both don't deserve their price, no joy about both of them!!!! why buy a car can't bring you joy!!!!

15. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    The idea is good, but is there any joy buying these hybrid cars !!!! The styling and the engine bring 0 joy!!!

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've rambled on about this before so I won't go too into it now, but the thing that used too set Ferrari apart from other cars, in my (sometimes humble lol) opinion, was not power, speed ,technology, stats, exclusivity, cost, etc etc etc. Those things all factored in to various degrees but there were always competitors who held their ground in those areas throughout the decades. The thing that set Ferrari apart was the inherent romance in the beauty of their cars. Everything from the engine to the curve of the front fender was sensual. The cars, in one glance mind you, inspired dreams of entire lives lived a different way from the normal day to day most of us experience. That is no longer the case. The 458 got close. The Roma tries hard to do it (right down to the marketing of "la dolce vita") but with limited success. Everything else may as well be a McLaren or a Lotus or whatever. There is nothing at all romantic about the design of the cars anymore. Ferrari's sole focus seems on stats and status. "Hey the 0-60 time is 2.9 seconds and everyone will know you paid the price of a house for it!" The interiors are plain ugly. The exteriors are at best reminiscent of various other cars being manufactured concurrently. No romance, just stats and status.

What else looked or inspired dreams like a 275 GTB when it was unveiled? Or a Daytona? Or a Dino 206GT? Or a 308 GTS? A Testarossa? Nothing. What else looks like a Roma, or a F8, or a 296? Several things.

It may not be Ferrari's fault entirely. Safety regulations etc no doubt play a large part in the homogeneity of car design these days. But when I see an Alfa 8c or a Maserati Mostro I can't help but think there is the potential for more out there, and as a lifelong fan of Ferrari, I am disappointed that they are contented with what they've been doing

HCEdwards, Randyslovis, vij23 and 4 others like this.
  17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #118 greyboxer, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Hope this can be sorted - perhaps using a hosting site like wetransfer or dropbox

Does the document give any hint as to luggage capacity since no photos yet of frunk lid up ? Thanks

18. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    The boot capacity is 202 liters:

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Jonathan Collins

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Collins
    agreed

20. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    it's still twin turbo?? and hybrid electric to boot?
    way too much going on here.
    the large turbo vents do not flow well at all they look like wasp nest openings protruding out of the rear flanks of the car
    at least in the 488 they fit better
    attached is my jaded view of the rear, it's the long light bar that is doing it for me

of2worlds likes this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I take your point about the rear of the Dodge and the 296. Though in this case the black strip between the tail lights is actually a subtle spoiler that rises up like the spoiler on SF90 does.
    Some people still get excited about a 360 Modena with 3 pedals instead of F1 paddles. Something for everyone these days!

22. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    I’d find joy. Love the styling, and somewhere amongst the 800 or so horses I’m confident I’d find some joy in the engine as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Napoli likes this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #124 Shadowfax, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    What do you mean by one trick pony? Please explain?

I'm also not sure how an Alpha 4c is able to do it for you yet this car does nothing for you and is being a "one trick pony"? I'd've thought there'd be no comparison there surely? All jokes aside how many tricks can your Alpha 4 c perform over and above an Autura?

Anyway.... I personally don't mind the look of the Autura but would concur with others here that the green color is certainly not helping it look its absolute best, but design wise I would give the Mclaren the win over the 296 as being the more cohesive, attractive, and overall better design between the two.

Maybe just swap the badges around, paint it red and see how it looks from there lol.

Coincid and Astrid.Didier like this.
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What is an Alpha 4c? Did that precede the Beta 4c?

fil and jm2 like this.