430 - Best Drone for following my 430? | FerrariChat

430 Best Drone for following my 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ray Smith, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I would like auto return home, the ability to program a specific route, high definition video and battery life as long as possible. I have a pilot's license. I plant to register it with the FAA.

Any drone experts are welcome to comment. I want to make videos of my 430 in action, on the street and at Willow Springs.

Price is no object.

TIA

Ray

Marcoboxer likes this.
  2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Well if price is no object...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Atomics_MQ-9_Reaper

On a serious note, I would ask on Drone forums but don't mention the Ferrari. Just say you want to follow your "track car" around willow springs. If you need some help figuring out which forums, I have a friend who is very heavy into drones and RC airplanes, so I can PM you some information.

Ray Smith and tomc like this.
  3. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If price is no issue hire someone to do all of the above

4. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Where would the fun be in that? You wouldn’t get to play with drones and Ferrari’s….on a race track! Sounds like an awesome weekend to me. Throw a bottle of Bourbon in the mix and I’m not sure what else I’d add.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have the Mavic Pro and it will do most of the things you want. Idk if it will travel on a planned route. I’ve had the thing about a year and am still trying to figure out all the features. It has the “follow” feature but only up to 45 mph. It will stay airborne for 30 minutes of so.

I went to WS last month and wanted to hover it over Horsethief while I drove my track car. I heard that they won’t allow drones there. It may be different if you have a pilots license.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    First, find out if Willow Springs allows them.

Second - how long of a battery life do you need? Most are 30 minutes max.

Third, if you want really good shots it will be a two person rig - one to fly and one to shoot.

The DJI Mavic Pro can do allot, with real flight times of about 20 minutes (depends on wind and how fast you need it to go), for more serious work you will need their better stuff, like: https://www.dji.com/inspire-2?site=brandsite&from=landing_page.

Or: https://www.dji.com/matrice-200-series-v2?site=brandsite&from=landing_page

7. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    The more I think about it, if you are looking for autonomous flight and film you will be disappointed.

Better to bring someone along to fly it.

8. Ellena

Ellena Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Chanhassen, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    J. Anderson
    Most race tracks will not allow drones during track days or club events. I have had drones at a private rental (4-5 cars), where there was also photo work going on. however, the photographer was also FAA certified, thus allowed to shoot commercially.

I know of no rigs that allow autonomous flight and filming. You need a pilot who is well versed in shooting cars on track

FerRrari likes this.
  9. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Many of the drones will follow you. Some have transponders, most use the cameras to track and follow you. The problem comes up when the drone looses you, or encounters an obstacle that it has to go around. The lower the altitude the faster the drone has to fly to keep up (if you are not on a track, then the car cannot exceed the speed of the drone). Some drones hover in place, then return to home and land when the battery gets to a per-determined percentage.

For an alternative to the DJI drones, and that seem to do well following you, see: https://www.skydio.com/

10. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    This right here. Unless you are renting the entire track you won’t be able to fly a drone. Too many things can go wrong in this scenario.

11. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith