“Bricked” SF90 | FerrariChat

“Bricked” SF90

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by gclemons, Jun 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gclemons

gclemons Rookie

Nov 12, 2015
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Anyone have their car go completely dead and show no power. Yesterday while parked my alarm went off and following that the car will not respond to anything. The fobs don’t work and the car has zero power. It was plugged in so I know it isn’t a dead battery.

2. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Mine did die once. I can switch it on but said no battery power go to dealer warning and didn’t start at all. Engine start was not working.
    Waited while doing start stop lock unlock open door close door more than 5 times and about more than 10 mins trying it started up the engine with warning saying go to dealer battery error.

Went to dealer and reseted car and it never happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Unacceptable. I could not put up with that issue. Period. Imagine where it could happen at the wrong time and place with no dealer even close

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is the stuff that scares me about the 296 GTB

5. gclemons

gclemons Rookie

Nov 12, 2015
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Had it towed to service center yesterday. They are running tests and will advise about next steps today.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Think of the bright side

You got the same problems of the LaFerrari but at half the price! :)

Hope it works out for you and you get it back soon.

jpalmito, rampante550, 4G63 and 12 others like this.
  7. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Or any car that has had its soul replaced with technology.

peterp, blkdiablo33, Makuono and 7 others like this.
  8. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    My friend as an early SF90 and has had that "brick" issue happen several times. They had to tape the doors shut to put it on the carrier because it was that dead!

9. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    EV are notorious for these type of issues unfortunately. Full electrics are even worse just read about the mess Porsche is having with the Taycan

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well, let's just say that,Ferrari has not ironed out all the kinks yet. I know of a few dealers pushing back deliveries so that incoming cars are more sorted. While some dealers and Ferrari may not acknowledge it, they are still having problems with the SF90, hence why deliveries are getting delayed.

When the 296 starts to be delivered, they can do it all over again. Would hate to get an early 296.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. linchengxu4

linchengxu4 Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Lin
    Agree.
    Mine has battery issue as well.
    Car wouldn’t work properly in pure Ev and hybrid mode, transmission jumps into neutral while moving.
    Dealer checked, transmission unit needs to be replaced.

12. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Wow…scary to think of the issues with early SF 90’s

Napoli likes this.
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    oh man. Did they give you a time line for that? Is it a similar unit as the F8 or will you have to wait for one to be shipped from Italy?

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They are two completely different transmissions.

ryalex likes this.
  15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Elisesko likes this.
  16. linchengxu4

linchengxu4 Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Lin
    They have it in Chinese warehouse. I’m still trying to settle this issue with the dealer, since transmission replacement record will effect the future resale value.

ryalex likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Never heard of that being the case. It is a new transmission, installed by a certified dealer, with a part that has a full warranty.

Maybe in China, but never heard of that here in Europe. It is not like damage to the car, and it is not like a part broken due to misuse. You got a new transmission, which all things considered, is in reality a very non-intrusive operation. It's all just loosening bolts and unplugging wires.

I'm sorry, but I doubt you can get anything from your dealer on this one, and I can't say I disagree with your dealer.

350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Remember SF90 has no reverse gear in the transmission...totally alien to the F8 or any other non-hybrid Ferrari...

ryalex likes this.
  19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wait.... we heard that with the SF90 after the LaFerrari problems, which were almost always battery or electronic related.

$700K and the damn thing won't work? Sorry Ferrari. Your customers shouldn't be treated like lab rats.

Rifledriver and Marcel Massini like this.
  20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    More important is the realization is that 8+ years after LaFerrari development there apparently has been little progress in the 'ev' hybrid functioning or lack thereof. It is quite likely the 296GTB will have the same issues with its hybrid system. Hopefully Ferrari will figure it out before their "all ev" model is released...

F2003-GA, Napoli and TheMayor like this.
  21. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    This is what happens when government’s around the world force expeditious technology change too quickly…under the auspices of saving the environment.

I’m still CEO of a company I built and recently sold, that among other things, is currently involved in lithium production technologies, working with some the major EV battery producers of the world. The energy and waste that goes into the extraction and processing is mind-bending…and grossly underreported. Moreover, the battery, electrical and software integration is insanely complex.

We also work heavily in the power industry. Don’t get me started on how ill-prepared the U.S. electrical infrastructure system is for the mass migration to EV.

Rifledriver, pt95, ross and 14 others like this.
  22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #23 Shadowfax, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    I also can't imagine 296 to be any different.

Considering it's 2021 and Ferrari is still unable to fix even a simple battery issue (in their current ice cars), what's being reported with SF90 should hardly come as any surprise to the buyers.

It's a sad situation really - and by rights totally unacceptable - but to be fair it would be incredibly optimistic for any Ferrari hybrid buyer to expect any different given Ferrari's dreadfully poor track record, which has been going on for years and years now.

Gh21631 and Napoli like this.
  24. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Sadly, mine did have battery error. Had to wait for tech to restart the car, then drove it to the shop. Lets see what happens..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I have had my SF90 since early February, driven it steadily since then, and other than the user interface annoyance around haptic controls, no problems for me. The faster you drive this car, the more fun it is. As @Lukeylikey mentioned in another post, this is a vehicle that gets more fun when you push it for performance with twisty roads as opposed to stop-light street boulevard driving.

I have had zero issues with anything related to the hybrid system to date. And I had an early car. I always keep my car on the charger. Except for several days where I didn't and was curious what would occur. And that was the car was fine. So it went back on the charger. I think this is very different situation compared to LaFerrari which had a different powertrain and was engineered at a different time in technology development. I believe the 296 will incorporate any new learnings as well.

Boomhauer, of2worlds, Dela and 3 others like this.