Limited Edition Cars | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NewFerrariOwner

Feb 17, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Everyone,

Long time reader and first time poster. My query relates to all of you Ferrari owners out there and getting offered the limited production models. I have been in communication with my local dealer about starting my Ferrari journey and they’ve advised me to purchase 5 vehicles and spec them highly to get into Ferrari’s good books. I never owned a Ferrari before but want to start collecting them whereas I’ve owned Porsche, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and so on.

I’m wanting to hear from owners whether I’m getting taken for a ride from my local dealer and what I need to do to be able to purchase Ferrari’s limited run vehicles. I’m seriously considering ordering a range of vehicles from the F8 Spider, SF90 Spider, 812 GTS, Roma and potentially the new 296 GTB to get my first 5 vehicles. Does anyone have experience and what recommendations could you give me?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Save one of your 'allocation' so you can burn AUD 250 000 on a fast depreciating 4 seater as soon as the next becomes available - the dealer will love you

Also sign up for driver courses & events - they all add to your customer rating & visibility at Ferrari

It will take time - a friend took 20 years of regular spend to be allocated a Pista

rampante550 and anunakki like this.
  3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    There are 2 ways to do it…. You can play the game and buy all the unwanted models new and take a loss to move up the list for the limited editions
    Or
    You can buy used, secondhand limited editions listed for a premium.
    I chose the latter.
    Either way you gotta pay to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Be patient, wait until the "latest thing" is just another fast depreciating used car. Usually after about 18 months, the time you'd have been on a wait list anyway. In my part of the world I've seen delivery mileage unwanted Pista selling for up to 20% off list price.

5. NewFerrariOwner

Feb 17, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the replies guys, does your age play a factor as well that if you are young, Ferrari like you better because you are more than likely going to buy more of those cars? In response to purchasing vehicles second hand, should I go ahead and purchase a used car being that I didn't buy it via a dealer? Also, I'm assuming the Ferrari market and collector market is very competitive and everyone wants the limited edition cars, are the cars I'm looking at buying required to look like a good customer or do I need more vehicles in my possession?

Birel, I'm very close to where you live and have spoken to Gold Coast and Brisbane but not sure who I want to deal with.

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The used cars do not help your status with Ferrari but if (as seems unlikely) you are buying with the intention to drive by paying overs for one of the Limited Edition cars you at least get to have something to drive

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Oh and dealer may be able to offer you an SF90 (not spider) allocation to test your commitment

8. NewFerrariOwner

Feb 17, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you Grey! Seems like I'm just going to have to buy brand new and suck up the cost and hope to god that my dealer loves me enough to pitch me in a good light to Ferrari so they favor me haha Dam I was hoping for the spider because typically from what I've seen, they tend to get you the go
    Ferrari variants rather than the coupe's and as we all know, their values increase dramatically. Should I also expect to lose 50% of value on regular Ferrari's, so roughly 50% of my total investment, would I be in the rough ball park figure; the discussion I had with the dealer was that I wanted to be in the running to get the next Laferrari model at that level; so that is the ultimate goal and I want to do the right things to be offered something as I would like to spec the car the way I like it.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Dude…. Ya better start shopping and buying … a LOT to get to that level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    There is a strict territorial delineation between the dealers now. If you live south of Brisbane you must buy through the Gold Coast outlet.

11. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would not deal with gold coast
    Even trying to phone them is a nightmare
    And yes i did buy a car from them
    Very selective on their email replies as well
    Perhaps purchasing a new vehicle would be a better experience
    Never even replied to my enquiry on a car initially i had to pester them to get them to respond

12. NewFerrariOwner

Feb 17, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I was afraid you would say something like this because when I went into the dealership and was speaking about buying a few cars, the salesperson looked at me up and down and told me if you aren't serious I'm going to head to lunch because I haven't eaten yet and when I called to complain, the dealer principle just was shock and laughed it off as if it was a joke that someone wanted to spend over $3m+ on cars..... I don't know what is wrong with those guys.

Michael, If what Birel is saying is correct, should I move to Brisbane area from your experience hahaha? I just hate their customer service to a level I've never felt with anyone else, it honestly put me off from from the brand. The sales guy even tried flinging a used F12 on me many times after repeatedly telling him only brand new, and his response was; you need to buy used to get familiar with Ferrari as Ferrari do not sell new cars to new clients.

13. NewFerrariOwner

Feb 17, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    How many cars are we talking about?

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

FWIW, you can certainly start buying pre-owned cars, just make sure you are buying them from an official Ferrari Dealership to get credit. Getting on the radar however you can, as soon as you can will help.

Have you ever considered getting into Ferrari Challenge? Double benefit to you, 1. you learn how to drive Ferraris in their Ferraris 2. You get a gold star next to your name and will be on their radar from the start. ( You get credit for the car, the support , the parts, etc ! And you get to have fun! )

Have you considered purchasing a vintage Ferrari, one that you can Classiche ( or that already is )? Again, showing your loyalty to Ferrari and that you are an aficionado. ( Kind of like the scene in the latest Gone in 60 seconds movie )

If you are serious about spending that kind of money, PM me, I have some other ideas that may help you out.

Steve

rampante550, blkfxstc and Thecadster like this.
  15. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    And if buying an old Classic Ferrari, from the days when a certain Mr Ferrari built the myth, then a current authorised dealer would be the LAST place to put your faith. Very few have ANY idea about that subject, even the Classiche Certification department make glaring mistakes. (But you have to go along with that, the certification book carries great value)

rampante550, Camlet1 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    It wouldn't have to be THAT vintage, just 25 years or older ( wink ) again, the OP is asking how he can get in the family, I was just offering options to spending $500,000 on modern vehicles, rounding out his portfolio...

S

17. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I don’t want to sound dismissive, but if your dealer is telling you that ordering 5 new cars now will put you in a position to order the LaF replacement which is less than 2 years away, he is taking you for a ride. There are people in this forum that have bought everything the factory has produced for the last 15 years, including the LaF and SP1/SP2 and they are not 100% guaranteed the LaF replacement.

Of course ordering 5 new cars will raise your status with the factory and qualify you for limited series models such as the 812 Competizione. Especially if you buy a broad range of V12 and V8 models as well as the SUV. Just don’t expect that this is an automatic ticket to the LaF replacement

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. NewFerrariOwner

Feb 17, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Steve, I'm trying to PM you, but I cannot seem to figure it out haha I have definitely considered classic Ferrari's, a friend of mine told me about a private sale of a 250 GTO in Europe and I'm seriously considering it. Although, I have not considered buying into the Ferrari Challenge, I'm definitely open to new ideas but I want to have a gameplan before going down this pathway otherwise it seems like a deep hole.

Well what he told me was it will put me in a great position due to my commitment, additions to the vehicle and my age being a massive factor that I will continually be a re-occurring customer, that's technically what they told me. I know there are huge collectors that might have 100's of cars but I'm willing to be loyal if the commitment is there + I don't plan on selling the cars as I want to go through Tailormade or the special designer program to make it one of a kind type of vehicles.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Don't worry if you miss it - there are dozens for sale & if you wire me about five million bucks immediately I'd be happy to broker one for you

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would be on the way to Maranello then get the full monty treatment.I assume you have a private jet right?

21. NewFerrariOwner

Feb 17, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Can you just turn up to Maranello, my thoughts would've been they'll just turn me away and tell me to go and speak with a dealer.... maybe I'm wrong here?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  22. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    The allocation of limited edition models differs from region to region. What the sales person said to you about getting 5 models highly specced is BS. It is simply for the dealership to get sales so that their allocation for that model is filled and the sales person to get their commission. No matter how many new models you purchase now you will not receive an invitation from the factory inviting you to purchase the La Ferrari replacement. That model is not a dealer allocation model it is a factory invitation model. The dealer can only provide a recommendation to the CEO Asia Pacific region who may then pass the recommendation to the factory. The invitations for the La Ferrari replacement will only be sent to those that have a proven record over many decades and even then not everyone will get an invitation. The days of Speciale , Pista, F12 tdf for example limited edition models are over. Now the factory offers the assento package for those who want extra handling and lighter weight. The limited editions will be the Icona models which will be offered to those that breath unicorn air in the Ferrari heirachy. You do realise that the limited edition models are all left hand drive and you will not be able to drive them in Australia. If you want Tailor made you can get that on any new model. You simply spec and pay the price. There were many in Australia who had collections of Ferraris but were not offered a Pista allocation. In Australia for the Pista you had to own a 488 before placing the order. The 488 did need to have been ordered brand new, the dealer would then rank you based on what value they saw in you and if they had an allocation available. Sydney and Melbourne received the most allocations followed by Brisbane and then Perth and Adelaide. I know of a first time Ferrari owner who had purchased a 488 brand new as his first Ferrari and his order for a Pista was approved because the dealer gave him an allocation.

If you want limited edition models I say it may be cheaper for you to purchase second hand.

You also cannot just turn up to the factory and say I want to purchase. They will not sell to you they will tell you to go through a dealer in Australia that has an allocation available for that model.

Good luck on your Ferrari journey.

LVP488 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  23. NewFerrariOwner

Feb 17, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you for your time answering my question, I don’t have a problem ordering those models and keeping them overseas as that is something I’m considering. That might be something to consider hmm…. It seems like me spending the money is something easy but the allocation process is another challenge in itself.

24. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Honest question from someone unfamiliar with the process.'

Would it not make more practical sense to buy the LaF replacement secondhand? If that is REALLY the car you are looking for, it might even be more cost effective than buying as many standard cars as you can and HOPING for an allocation. Plus, you're then guaranteed to have the car in the end!

Kevin

25. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If you have this kind of FU money buy a house in the area the dealer you want to buy from is in. Simple.