Official Daytona Pics | Page 101 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
  2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    colombo2cam and of2worlds like this.
  3. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    OK thanks, I thought it might have been celeste

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Here is a special Daytona from the Highlands Motoring Festival held on Saturday.

Originally purchased new in Italy by Chuck Jordan, head of design for General Motors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Picture below is what his staff did to make it the "SuperFly" Ferrari when they took delivery at the GM facility.

I can imagine his face when he came back to see the car. [Foam core options at no charge....lol]

of2worlds, colombo2cam and Wheels1 like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14777, since April 2008 with Bill Warner (Amelia Island Concours founder and legendary motorsport photographer in JAX).
    Chuck Jordan was not the original owner. He was the 2nd owner.
    Original owner was Professor Vittorio De Nora, an electrochemical engineer born in Altamura, Italy.
    14777 was completed 9 December 1971. Jordan got it in 1973 only.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thank you for the correction.
    Bill gave a speech on Thursday night before the event on Saturday. He has an amazing wealth of knowledge about car design and influences thereof.
    While not on topic this car next to his Daytona was built 4 years earlier. Makes for a more striking realization of the contrast of design of the times.

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Pierre P, jpalmito, of2worlds and 7 others like this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  10. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    BJK, of2worlds, Timo Seefeld and 8 others like this.
  11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Which Argento is it? Absolutely gorgeous :)

Regards, Alberto

colombo2cam likes this.
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Argento Metallizzato 106-E-1.
    #13445.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  14. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Alberto, yes exactly

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ great color. any more pix?

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  18. 365365

365365 Rookie

Oct 23, 2005
    UK
    Thats a replica daytona ; e.g. Autocraft car you can tell by the lack of pivoting vent window. Think that's the same car currently with Bridge Classic Cars (uk) for total rebuild.

19. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So more than 2 years after I acquired it, my car is (finally!) back on the road.

Here it is, just pulled-up from the 100-mile drive back from the shop:

As always, there were a host of things that needed addressing (though admittedly, none really were a surprise), but COVID-related-things probably were good for a solid year of delays.

Still needs a lot of "limbering" and "dialing", but it was not without some trepidation that I set-out on such a long drive fresh off the lift, so could not be more pleased that the car solidly acquitted itself.

dgunn365, JOEV, Daytonafan and 6 others like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Nice stance just sitting there! Some look like they are ready to go 'off roading'.
    Do you know the year and month your GTB/4 was manufactured?

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Did any of the “addressing” included suspension services and/or setting ?
    If yes, would you mind sharing the cars current (and if available, previous) “ride height” specs, especially front ?
    If you prefer confidentiality, you’re welcome to send them privately, so I can just add them to my research files anonymously.

22. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    of2worlds: 1972 Euro. PM me if there is some reason that it is useful to you to know the exact month.

TTR/Timo: My garage floor is not exactly a "billiard table", but below are the best measurements that I could manage. Interestingly, I found that the bolts at the front-sides of the lower front A-arms did not seem to be level with the bolts at the back-sides. Unfortunately, with all the various things in the way, my "T-square" only allowed me to get the bolt heights of the rear A-arms from the back side, so I don't know what whether the rear-A-arms are more level.

Front (R and L about the same):
    Inner bolt (front): 7 inches
    Outer bolt (front): 7 and 3/4th inches

Inner bolt (rear): 7 and 7/8th inches
    Outer bolt (rear): 8 inch inches

Rear (R and L about the same):
    Inner bolt (rear): 7 and 7/8th inches
    Outer bold (rear): 7 and 3/8th inches

No one has touched anything in the suspension (well aside from tie-rod ends) since I got the car, and there is no obvious evidence that the suspension has ever been redone (though obviously, with such an old car, it seems unlikely that it is "untouched").

Cheers,
    Alex

TTR and of2worlds like this.
  23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alex, thank you very much for indulging my curiosity and ongoing research in to this.

Comparing these ^^ numbers to my research and interpretation of factory given (originally intended?) specs, your front suspension seems like it’s quite a bit off, possibly enough to show evidence of “tire rub” on underside of inner (front) fenders.
    You might even experience such during sharp cornering on spirited drives, going over speed bumps or curbs.

I assume you made sure the car was fully loaded per factory specs, i.e. full tanks, two passengers, spare and tools (or something equivalent) prior to taking theses measurements and is so, the inner bolts (forward ones) measurement should be more (higher) than outer and even more so if the car was not loaded per factory specs.

24. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Timo,

3/4 tank at the rear, front loaded on the side being measured at the time.

Yes, it struck me as odd that the inner-end was lower; general theory is that the lower arm should be parallel to the ground (more or less) under load. Of course, the back-side of the A-arm is close to level, which (assuming that the inner is lower than the outer) would tend to imply that the whole car is tilted "nose low"; though I don't see how it could be tilted as much as the front/back difference would seem to indicate. Perhaps my "T-square method" was not working as well as I was hoping.

Regardless, it is not impossible that the suspension has never been apart, and that the car has settled due to wear of bushings and the like; 50 years is a long time.

At some point, I'll have to check the compression of the springs, and see if that lines-up with the specs from the Owner's Manual. If it does, then I would expect a redo of all the bushings (something that I will have to do eventually) should help. Though I do have to admit that the car actually feels like it handles a bit better than many that I have test-driven (something that I have been pleased about); perhaps a "lowered" suspension has some benefits... :)

Cheers,
    Alex