Running Velocity stacks on a Daytona | FerrariChat

Running Velocity stacks on a Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ag512bbi, Jul 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Anyone running velocity stacks on a Daytona. Educate me.
    Maybe looking to buy a set.
    Please give me your views. Pros and Cons.
    And a direction to look into buying them. I believe I need the "filter" or "screens" to go with it, correct?
    During service on my Daytona I had a chance to drive it around the block without the air cleaner. I LOVED the sound and I felt more power. Photos would be appreciated.
    Let me know... Thank you

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    When you change to velocity stacks, you'll have to change the carburator tops and the jetting. I have the correct carb tops and velocity stacks but I don't believe an entire set.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I did such conversion last year and the owner appeared pleased with the results.
    Discovered at least 2-3 different ways to do it, each presenting its own set of technical challenges…

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    There is good reason why road cars use carburettor air filters.

As well as not being original specification, running a car without the carburettor air filter causes premature engine wear, and greatly reduced longevity due to the engine ingesting debris like dust, water, dirt, sand, insects etc.

Valves, valve guides, cylinder bores, pistons and piston rings get scratched and wear out much quicker. Debris also ends up in the engine oil causing more wear around all the internal bearings in the engine. The carburettors themselves get damaged too.

The Daytona uses an air filter with a snorkel, that actually draws air in directly from the front of the car, and distributes the air more effectively and evenly around the surface area of the carburettor intakes, resulting in cleaner and better carburation

It may be beneficial for cars like a 250 GTO and certain racing cars (but not all), that are rebuilt often, to run without filters, where every single horse power counts, but not for a road car where any potential power increase would be very marginal, if anything at all.

Yes, velocity stacks look nice, and sound great, but using them is not respecting the internals of the engine.

Just my opinion.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I agree with your writing steven. but how many miles you will drive each year? if you would have a "normal" daily street driving car I never would go without airfilter, but for may be max. 1000 km a year I would not be afraid going with open snorkels. have this also on my BB, only on the snorkels/"intake funnel" some "fly screen material" that no insects can come in

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    I have a set ,inc correct 3 stud tops
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I pretty much agree with above and did forewarn my aforementioned client/car owner with similar lecture about the very potential pitfalls associated when running a road car without air filter(s).
    One just has to weigh benefits of looking and sounding cool vs. (very real) potential for problems conversion/modification like this may bring.
    There appears to be a small increase of bell HP associated with elimination of air filter assembly, but like any other high HP increase or rating on any (modern or vintage) car, nothing noticeable unless it’s actually being put to use near or above 80% the car’s performance capabilities.
    Large/huge HP ratings on road/street cars are usually just paper tigers (i.e. easy marketing gimmicks) and bragging rights, but rarely, if ever used or useful.

8. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Great information. I appreciate the education.

Captain Boogaloo likes this.
  10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    What do velocity stacks do?

Air is sucked into the combustion chamber. Pressure waves occur in the intake tract. Varying the length (height) of the velocity stack optimizes the engine's ability to fill the cylinders at a certain RPM (which will have a specific wavelength). Velocity stacks are used to create more power at certain RPMs. At what RPM are you wanting more HP? In most racing scenarios, people optimized high RPM power. This may be counterproductive for street use.

Many modern sportbikes use varying length stacks directed by the ECM and moved with a small servo motor. This creates the ideal length at all RPMs. Of course, this is done in the filtered area of the air box.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

375+ likes this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    no actual hp gain will be seen on the road as the engine will be sucking in hot air whereas the stock setup breathes cold air thru the snorkel tube.
    bad idea.
    even the racing daytonas had an air box to source cold air.

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I look at these matters through a fairly simple lens: The factory engineers could have designed and specified the desired modification (velocity stacks being just one of many) but they did not. They must have had a good reason.

13. AllTwelve

AllTwelve Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2009
    Hi Monza, I have been looking for a carb top for one of these. Is it possible to PM me?

14. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I agree with Miura SV, and will add that I seriously doubt that there is much, if any, actual HP increase. I admit it could sound better, but is that worth the extra wear and tear?

Daytonafan and ag512bbi like this.
  15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    After reading all these posts, I am really leaning on NOT installing the Stacks. I really didn't know there were more cons than pros. I appreciate all the opinions.

16. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    That is the right thing to do Armen good decision.

ag512bbi likes this.
  17. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    morcal, ag512bbi and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Man, that looks Good!

19. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Did you by chance do any before/after (chassis ?) dyno testing to gauge power improvements ?
    Is the engine otherwise stock or … ?

21. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I didn't do any "before" dyno runs. I first put on some poorly made euro style equal length headers and those really woke the car up. Later I installed the velocity stacks and an airbox. We dyno'd the car here in Colorado without the airbox and with open side pipes.....not much exhaust restriction. 293HP. I installed bolt on parts to let the engine breathe better that can easily be removed by a future owner. Very loud at 7000 RPM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :cool:

“HP” at the rear wheel or a Typo ?

The “conversions” (stacks & muffler delete) I recently did I designed and made to be easily reversible back to stock components, all which were saved and stored away.

23. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    Yes, at the rear wheels. Dynojet chassis dyno. I didn't and don't care about HP or torque figures, just trying to get a nice safe fuel/air ratio up here at Denver altitude. At sea level, the car is demonstrable more alive.

24. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    #24 bighitter2, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Velocity stocks were on my car when purchased in 1999..engine is built to “ Lemans specs with symetrical 8500 rpm P6’s , comp distributors , high compression pistons and due to euro car tube headers …had it dynoed when first bought and out of respect for for the motor i instructed them to only take it to 6500 which showed 365 hp on a steep upward curve …since i show and display more than drive i installed the red micro screen booties over the metal screens and clean regularly…never had a problem..runs like a scared rabbit and looks and sounds awesome ( especially running thru the tunnel at fisherman's warf in Monterey :). First Pic Concorso about 2003.. 2nd pic Newport Concours about 2004 , with screens and red micro filters 2012 Kingsmill Ferrari event Williamsburg Va.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777, Oengus and turbo-joe like this.
  25. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I realize that most folks that still have a Daytona that they converted to velocity stacks will want to keep the original carb parts, but...

...does anyone that did such a conversion in the past, and sold the car, have the parts that they removed?

I'm looking for a set of all the bits-and-pieces of the choke assemblies. Need all-6-carbs-worth...

If so, please drop me a PM.

Thanks!