Anyone here prefer coupe to the spyder? | FerrariChat

Anyone here prefer coupe to the spyder?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bkaird1, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bkaird1

bkaird1 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Just curious if I was the only one who prefered the coupe over the spyder for most cars(not for cruising enjoyment...I mean purely looks). Not to say that the spyders aren't absolutely beautiful, but I've seen very few who's lines were nicer than the coupe (I think the 360 spyder is an excpetion though). AM I NUTS????

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I prefer the coupe over the spider, both in terms of looks and driving. Coupe is lighter, ergo just slightly quicker. Cowl shake in spider is zero, so that's a non-issue. The fact that the coupe costs less is just a bonus.

3. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i much prefer the lines of most coupes, i esp think that of the 360.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I prefer the coupes more generally most of the time. I just think the spider/spyder versions loose some of the lines and aesthetics that really make the car.

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Absolutely I don't think there there has been a single car that looked better as a spyder than as a Berlinetta/ coupe expect for the 275 GTB/4 NART Spyder, but I can't afford one of those so it doesn't count!!

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I think the 360 coupe looks better than the 360 spyder. just like the prior posts, I agree that some of the lines/styling is missing in the 360 spyder than the coupe.

7. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I like coupes.

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They don't call me "hardtop" for nothing!

Better looks, better driving and (most of the time) cheaper. Life is good.

I do have two exceptions. The 275 NART spyder that resides in Colorado is one of the prettiest cars ever made. I guess that's why they are 7 figures. There is also a black California SWB spider I see now and then. It makes my knees weak!

Of course, I think my 328 GTB is pretty stunning too.

Dave

9. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    I vote for the :

SPYDER / SPIDER or any other spelling - This makes me the first vote this way.

I must make one clarification - I am judging the looks with the top down. A Spider's lines are always better with the top tucked away.

As for driving, I have always enjoyed the feeling and sounds of top down driving. Doing it in a F car just makes it better since the exhaust note and engine music is even clearer. The weight and handling characteristics are slightly different but not much of a factor off the track.

Just my point of view - to those who only drive in good weather why have a top over your head ??

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I love the looks of the 360 Spyder (top down only) but I would always buy the coupe for the lighter weight and better track performance.

Gary

11. bkaird1

bkaird1 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Brad
    worth it:

I guess those who want both go for the gts, if one is available. I'm really just talking about pure looks, not sound, driving enjoyment etc(although I'm sure some might say those are better in the coupe as well). There's just something about the way a ferrari's roof line swoops toward the rear end that's just mesmorizing to me and often that gets lost with the spyders. Spyders seem to be in demand so you're certainly not alone.

Brad

12. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    I am now hooked on the Berlinetta/hardtops. I think the lines are necer and the cars tend to look more aggressive.

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The Spider really looks like a design afterthought. The rear engine cover is contrived and the entire back lid looks unfinished. It's especially noticeable when you see a 360 spider next to a 355 spider. The 355 looks like it has purpose in its design all the way from the front to the back. The 360 looks like they ran out of time and just flattened the rear portion behind the seats. The profile view is worst IMO but ir really does look good coming towards you.

14. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Definitely the coupe

15. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm seriously surprised by the response, but I agree with most...Coupe for me!

16. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I prefer coupes for looks. It just seems like most convertibles look like a coupe with the top missing. As if the "lines" are wrong whereas a coupe's lines flow. Just my opinion.

Tom

17. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    Bkaird1 and others:

Looks like I am still the "only" one here who votes for the Spider.

However, it appears most of the posts are centering on the 360 - I tend to like the coupe on this model but I can't say by much.

Since you are discussing looks only this does sway me a little.

All this aside, beauty is in the eye of the beholder someone once said. My family has always had convertibles, even have 8mm film of my grandfather back in the 50's with his rag top. I guess that makes it a genetic thing for me.

It's not like any of them are ugly and no one would say no thank you if you were given one. Kind of reminds me of some conversations I had back in College before heading to the bars.

18. paulb

paulb Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradley
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Spider. I am addicted to convertibles. The 360 coupe however is one of the most beautiful coupes out there today.

19. abavai

abavai Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I love the 360 coupe and spider. I think that the spider model is most beautiful than coupe at 3/4 rear and the coupe is most beautiful at 3/4 front position. If you see two cars above the car the spider is most beautifull.

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I like coupes better than convertibles. I like the lines better, and I also feel like they are safer if, heaven forbid, you flip over. I also just feel a bit more secure. I don't even like driving with windows open - there's something about being in a closed cockpit that I like.

21. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
  22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have always preferred the coupes over the spiders. Ferrari (or anyone else) has yet to produce something that I prefer in convertible.

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I hate convertables. Its just me, I do not disparage those who like them.

24. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Coupes have a 3 year wait and spiders have a 5 year wait and the mark up over retail for spiders are higher than coupes.

So consensus is that more prefer spiders than coupes. Me, I like them both and if I can get a spider for msrp, I would go for the spider.

25. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Spyders/Spiders, without question.

You can still track a spider. If this was a big requirement, you should look into a challenge car. The lap times will just not be the same, otherwise. How hard will you push?

You can still enjoy top down driving or if gts, the wind, sun, and stars in your hair.

If your in a mostly warm climate or one with little rain, you'd be driving something else since most others don't know how to when it gets wet.

Security by being able to rip the top, etc? I don't keep valuables in my car and insurance will take care of it. If you do, kindly send me your address (kidding!!). :)

Poor water seal? How often will you drive any variation in the rain? If it leaks, you fix it. What is a little ingenuity to seal a leak especially if its a rubber or a window alignment problem? Experiencing leaks is riding in an XK140 drop head coupe with side curtains for two days in a downpour or a "Friday/Monday" E-Type made around a weekend holiday.

Climates will jade our opinions. Since when has lack of heat ever been a problem in a Ferrari?

In the end, its the pleasure you get from them and they all give it!

Sunny