F355 Market | Page 272 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes, of course unibody but what then is defined as "frame" damage if so.

I think structural is rockers, rear subframe, floors, more so than external panels but if it's unibody everything that's welded on could be considered structural?

If so it would seem like almost any collision would be considered frame damage.

Very vague IMO, so just continues to fall under the category of judging each car on it's own merit. If there is some questionable history, best case is there are photos you can observe to arrive at your own conclusion.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yassa, tres55 and kryten2001 like this.
  3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Attached Files:

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yassa and ShineKen like this.
  5. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    Ya but this guys 250 is only worth like 30 million, not 70 million.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Yassa likes this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That could be the fault of installation. I just recently went through installing my challenge grille and re-adjusting my rear bumper higher. Takes some effort to balance things out. Would be nice if the only official Ferrari authorized bodyshop in Canada could do the same….. OR maybe they can’t :cool:.

Rear panel on passenger’s side sits lower but gap between rear bumper and panel is bigger? o_O

Gap between engine lid and rear quarter panel appears to bigger on the driver’s side (where it was hit) as well.

Paint match of rear panel looks slightly off to me as well. Quick solution would be to install a challenge grille, which would probably mask most of these issues better.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  9. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Heaven for bid someone’s foot be larger than the other, an eye slightly out of kilter or their breast lopsided.

Yes, an eye for exacting symmetry on gap and panel fitment suggest an air of perfection, but maybe the beauty is in the character of the whole. Lexus use to have the best panel gap and fitment of any car manufacturer. Most are fraught with imperfection - luxury cars are not exempt from the imbalances. Yes, during manufacture they come out looking virgin and pure, but in reality we could walk through the rows of Ferraris in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and no two would be identical, just tolerable.

The 355 was a huge step up in the quality of Ferrari as a whole. But hell, a GTB can’t keep its paint on its buttresses! I would agree a perfect car is worth more, with all original paint, no damage and a stellar history. But a complete bare metal chassis restoration after an accident or just because it has not aged well, is just as good if not better. But someone will find a flaw, they always find a flaw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTO Joe likes this.
  10. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    My god. I still can’t believe how much crap I got for saying 355s were undervalued a few years ago.
    However, I’m still sitting on the sidelines for now waiting for this hysteria to end.
    All markets, including exotic cars will be coming to an end soon.

11. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    We are in a bubble…but when will it burst. What is “soon.”

Yassa and ShineKen like this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    …. And burst from what price range to what price range?

I don’t see how a bubble could burst without a rush of supply coming through the market. Everyone I’ve talked with who has a manual coupe has very little desire to sell. Cars are paid off and no one seems to be strapped for cash. Trade-ins… perhaps. Need to sell… no.

Unless the economy tanks, supply of good cars coming to market will be scarce. My guestimate… at a rate of 1 every 2 months. Prices can’t crash without market supply going up.

tatry68 likes this.
  14. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Rob hits the point above and his perspective from being in that business is on the spot. A number of years ago my best buddy and I would seek out any car assembly plant that we could tour while at national car meets. One time at the old St. Louis Corvette plant we were standing next to the body drop and there were 6 guys around the car guiding it down and they went a little to fast and split the rear quater panel by hitting the muffler and their reaction was they all "cheered" so the car was off the recon area at the end of the line. Another time at the Flint Buick plant we slid off to the recon area and there was a two guy team going up the line of cars with one guy holding a heavy felt cloth and the other with a full on sledge hammer to "adjust" the doors so they closed properly. Things have vastly improved for today's cars but it is still not an exact process and remember we are talking about Ferraris back almost 25 years ago.

carnutdallas likes this.
  15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    12-18 months

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree with us being in a bubble. Cathie Wood has been talking about "demand destruction" and deflation the last couple months as FOMO and people running out buying goods get their demand/orders filled and demand tanks later in the year. I think timing wise equity bubble pops in 3 months, no later than 6. Bottom is by summer 2022. Hard assets will be slightly delayed in falling. 50%+ drop in equities at least.

355dreamer likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Price is a function of supply and demand. I can’t speak for the exotic car market as a whole, but in the case of manual 355 coupes, if one is showing up to the market at a rate of 1 every 2 months, you can count on demand outpacing supply for the long haul. You can’t put general demand for goods that are constantly being produced and something discontinued 20 years ago in the same category.

All one needs to do is look at worldwide demand for 355’s as clues. Worldwide 355 conspiracy bubble? All cars have appreciated, but pay attention to the appreciation rate of the 355 for an indicator in strength of demand.

Tarek307, Yassa and tres55 like this.
  18. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    We need to differentiate the 355 market from "standard sports cars." Being a "classic" (more than 25 years old) the 355 will naturally appreciate. It has clearly benefited from the recent runup in all used car markets. I think there is a true "bubble" in the 2-10 year old sports car markets due to multiple factors (interest rates, COVID, and supply issues). I'm guessing that bubble will burst by this time next year. When it does, I think F355 prices will naturally feel a decrease, but not a dramatic one. I missed my opportunity to own a gates GTS for less than six figures, but I have a feeling they will become available without the current hysteria driving prices past $150k. Or else, I'll have to settle for something else.

Natkingcolebasket69 and OCKlasse like this.
  19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    None at all. 2% duty when importing into the US. Emissions regulations are identical so as long as nothing is modified it's fine in California even.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    ShineKen, Pepsi10 and Ahchard like this.
  21. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio
    Thank you for that answer!

22. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name: