So what’s your thoughts on an interior color change? | FerrariChat

So what’s your thoughts on an interior color change?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 milano, Jul 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I’m really torn on this one. Have an 85 308 Euro GTS QV with Creme/ Red carpets which I have totally disassembled and going through the Leatherique process (don’t kid yourself, lots of work) interior leather is in really good shape and I just finished a month worth of conditioning the leather seats with rejuvenator oil and they feel awesome. So here’s the problem. While the interior color combination strikes me as just OK, I absolutely LOVE this interior color of Beige Tradizione/ with black Carpets. Sent a PM to one of our resident experts asking his opinion and he said leave it alone. That should be good enough right? But I’m still torn on doing this. Problem is, once I change the color now I no longer have an original car but One with a story. I also had questions about how a color change would wear and Leatherique assured me it wouldn’t be an issue. I’ve already purchased the dye to do the color change and special equipment to do this right. But in my heart it’s telling me to leave it as original. Just turned 61 years old so this car is rarely driven and more just art to me. Pretty certain my wife will have to deal with selling this once my time comes lol. Your thoughts but please don’t say it’s your car and do as you please. I’m thinking about how this will affect this little machine 20 years from now. Pictures of my interior and an earlier 308 with the Beige Tradizione leather.

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Passion should trump logic. It is anyone's guess as to what "20 years from now" will look like regarding the market.

The future owner can turn it back to what once was if they don't like what you've done.

Per your request, I am trying very hard not to say "it's your car do as you please," but it is clear you really want to make the change and, it's your car ...

308 milano likes this.
  3. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I love the contrast of the red carpets and crema leather.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

velocegiallo and 308 milano like this.
  4. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    As you say a personal thing … and personally I prefer the beige/black :)

It’s not a practical or rational car, so do what your emotions tell you!!

Either way it’ll be great.

good luck with the choice!

moysiuan and 308 milano like this.
  5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

308 milano likes this.
  6. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you like the tan better, do it! I’ve made some changes to mine during its restoration. My car came with black rockers and roof spoiler but now, rockers are red and no spoiler. Some came that way, which I prefer. Mine didn’t but I like it more, so I made the change.

I gave absolutely zero thought to any future caretaker preference or value.

built2grind and 308 milano like this.
  7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I’d change it.

Do you leave it as is because it might make some stranger happy in the future or do you change it to make yourself happy now?

308 milano likes this.
  8. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    moysiuan and 308 milano like this.
  9. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Do what makes you happy, that simple.
    I have an 89 mondial t and changed it from tan to black because I don't like the red/tan combination however changed the entire interior, did not re-dye.

If your car was a multi million dollar car, I would say leave it alone.

For many many years, for all my cars, I was the outmost best caretaker for the next owner and always regretted not using them while I had them. Today as I am now 56 years old, and I know I am not taking my Ferraris with me when my time comes, I drive them, wrench on the and reve them up, Etc, you get the idea.

ENJOY AND DO WHATEVER YOU WANT

Attached Files:

Du_Man and 308 milano like this.
  10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks Ric. Maybe that’s the issue I’m struggling over, had someone tell me years ago that with Ferrari you are just the caretaker for that point in time. I definitely would love to do the color change. Was going to do complete leather interior but that price has almost doubled in the five years since I had my other project 308 interior refurbished. Was looking at somewhere around $12-14,000 for new leather installed. Decided to give Leatherique a shot this time around. Your Mondial Looks terrific with the black leather/red carpets.

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Can any of you that have done a complete color change with Leatherique Comment on how it stands up to wear?
    In my teens I had one of many Jeep CJ-5 and came across a red backseat that I used some Black vinyl paint to Match the existing front seats. Color lasted about a year before you started seeing hints of red show through, but we used that seat hard, climbing over the sides of the jeep, swimming at the lake, putting Bose 301 house speakers in back LOL LOL If Leatherique can take 1/3 the abuse we gave that jeep seat I would be stoked! :)

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It's funny how tastes differ:

In the USA, it seems red paint/tan interior is preferred when it comes to 308/328/348/355 cars.

In the UK, it seems red paint/creme interior is preferred.

Personally, I can't stand the tan interior (and dislike the black interior even more) - But then I am in the UK :D

At the end of the day, have your car how you want it - It's not as though it can't be changed back later on if need be :)

308 milano likes this.
  13. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm starting the process now. Going from all Blu interior to Crema leather with Blu carpet. But, I will leave the lower half of the door panel with the little bit of blu leather that surrounds the carpet. One thing to note about that picture, is that the tan is new and the crema looks old, so it's not quite fair representation(also, a pre-injected car, with injected car seat pattern, weird). I doubt a new incorrect interior will reduce value compared with a 40 year old interior, but who knows. Now, if you are asking if you will recoup the $6K for material, or install cost if you don't do it yourself, I doubt it.

Now, dealing with GAHH to get the materials, that's a huge hassle. 7 months of problems so far. If I knew that was going to happen, I wouldn't have started. Oh, and absolutely don't use TopsOnLine(Vic), he's currently just reselling GAHH stuff, so just an unnecessary middle man.

308 milano likes this.
  14. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hi Kim, I also have a 308 which had the interiors in really bad condition when I purchased it so I tried the leatherique product and the result pretty bad however I believe it was due to my lack of experience, it seemed that I applied it way too heavy, to make the long story short I decided to redo door panels and seats with brand new leather and I could not be happier with the results.

308 milano likes this.
  15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Never done a color change but I can say I will never use Leatherique again.

16. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California

Hahahaha, please elaborate, I also had pretty bad results with it however I find the prestinclean good as a leather cleaner.

For conditioning and maitenenence, I have tried everything and found MALCO to be the best product out there. What are you using to condition?

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...and, as far as tastes go, and considering only 328s: NO red painted 328 was ever sold by Pozzi, the French Importer, with Crema leather...Crema was not suggested by them for for red cars. A small number of 328s with other body colors than red sold new by Pozzi in France had Crema leather, but NO red 328 sold new in France had Crema interior; and 75% of all 328s were red.
    Prefered interior colors in France always were Black leather / Black carpets, followed by Black leather / Red carpets.
    Should you see a (LHD) red 328 with Crema leather in France, then that car was not sold new here, it has been imported second hand later.

Rgds

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

Yes, I read all the previous threads on using Leatherique before making my decision. sounds like it pulled the dye from your original seats. That sucks.

19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

My family owned a body shop and I have painted hundreds of cars but I just can’t warm up to the cream/red carpet. Reminds me of a raspberry shortcake.

RicSinger and Rosey like this.
  20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    This is something that I can understand, it makes me feel more or less the same. But I'm probably too much oriented towards "keeping the car original" to change it nevertheless...

Rgds

308 milano likes this.
  21. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Well, after spending many hours meticulously cleaning the rejuvenator oil off the seats I have to say I really like the cream color. Way less yellow then in the photos. So going to stick with the original leather color. BUT, i’m going to opt for loosing the red carpet. Kind of “Meh” With the thought of black carpet. Been thinking about a light wheat colored carpet with black floor mats? Just throwing some ideas out there. Any of you have very light colored carpet?

22. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Light carpet = see EVERY stain, piece of dirt, flaw.

308 milano likes this.
  23. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    that’s why I was thinking light carpet as an accent and then black floor mats?

24. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Bruno,

I never notice that until today and indeed I don't have any Pozzi car with Crema seats in my note. But how to know if ZERO Pozzi 328 had Crema interior ?

25. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I've owned a few vintage Ferrari's. I don't care how discusting the original colors might be, it would be put back as original.

308 milano likes this.