Cold start issues | FerrariChat

Cold start issues

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Guss23, Jul 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    My coldstart circuit doesn’t seem to be working. The car starts every time but it starts labored and slowly builds up rpm to its 1100 rpm idle. I have checked ground continuity between the two injectors. My first question is which wire off of the starter solenoid powers the cold start circuit? What terminal on the cold start relay should I check when cold cranking?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    One issue here is that the Thermo-Time Switch (TTS) has to get cold enough to reset and close. Here in central TX that doesn't happen very often between May and Oct ;) so I get a similar symptom for cold start-up that you describe during those months. IME, it needs to get down to about 70 deg ambient and the car not be stored in a warm garage. Also, when the temp is high enough to not close the TTS, the AAVs aren't open much. (After checking the Weather Channel for Indy) You might need to wait until later in the week, and confirm that your garage and the car get down to a colder temp for a long enough time for the TTS to reset.

The functional test that I use for the TR cold start injector operation is to connect a +12V test light, that I can see from the Driver's seat, between the C (orange) wire near the middle of the j horizontal white connector (with it still plugged in) and ground. The test light should illuminate for the first couple seconds of the initial cold start attempt (if the TTS has closed). Also, if you "blip" the throttle during cold running (and the differential pressure switch is working) = the test light should flash.

V4NG0 likes this.
  3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Steve’s knowledge is amazing I have always wondered why my car starts just like OP mentioned. I live in San Diego and my car is always garaged so it never gets cold enough, but I have noticed that with marine layer (which gets considerably colder) it doesn’t do that, now I know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonB and V4NG0 like this.