Latest frontier of cybersecurity/haxing | FerrariChat

Latest frontier of cybersecurity/haxing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by RacerX_GTO, Jul 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Summary -
    Many of the Smart devices(TV's/light bulbs/Ring cameras, phones) are linked to the internet in some form. We know this already. What's new is, a short range radio frequency that is used by devices to communicate with each other, can be manipulated to form this "sub network" that can hop around the country by turning other devices into hop points, until it reaches a data collecting point that initialized that particular manipulation, bypassing the internet completely.
    You the consumer, are not being entirely notified that these devices are capable of communicating over the air waves that your data, location, video recording, voice recording, and proximity of other friends devices are capable of being compromised.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  2. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #2 powerpig, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Two words he keeps repeating: It's possible. Yes, it is, but it's very expensive and conditions have to be near perfect for transmission as most of what he talks about are low power, low range mesh networks.

He was wrong about sensors. Only hardwired or AC powered Zigbee and Zwave devices can re-transmit the signal. Battery powered devices are "listen only" to preserve battery life.

I'm surprised that he didn't talk about Zwave. It's a proprietary protocol similar to Zigbee. The US and EU have different standards for Zwave. Zigbee is open source and is a worldwide standard.

Zigbee and Zwave need a hub to create a mesh, as they have to "phone home" to carry out instructions. These protocols have an effective range of about thirty feet. That's why meshing them is critical to functionality.

I'm surprised that he even mentioned UHF and VHF. With broadcast TV's shift to digital, that spectrum has been reallocated and auctioned off, mostly to cell providers.

LoRa does have a further range, but it needs a clear line of sight. COTS LoRa devices don't mesh. That would be LoRaWAN.

I run all of these protocols and have a sniffer I play with to ferret out problem transmissions. I haven't found any outside of my networks.

He's not wrong about most things, but what he says at the moment is mostly theoretical.

TestShoot likes this.