Wanted - Canon 80D and / or Canon 70-200mm 2.8 lens | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wanted Canon 80D and / or Canon 70-200mm 2.8 lens

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by GTHill, Jun 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    what type of videos will he be shooting ?

I’m asking for the needed Lens and audio requirements. Shotgun mic or lavalier?

BOKE likes this.
  2. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    GT- Untwist your panties and reread my posts. You mentioned shallow DoF and I mentioned that the smaller chips take away from DoF more than slower lenses. I provided an app for you to check out.

As far as not providing alternatives, I served up the Black Magic pocket cameras. You weren't interested, and you shot it down immediately.

I also asked you a number of other questions that went unanswered. There is a lot more to this than a camera body and a lens.

You're welcome.

3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I hope this is a good answer, but right now he's shooting whatever he can. He and I shot a wedding for practice (they didn't have a videographer so no chance for failure). He's doing some local company interviews and some short videos for small business social media.

His ultimate goal is short film and music videos which is aspirational but I support that quest as long as he's busting ass learning and building paying customers in the meantime.

Here's a quick list of a few things we have for audio:

- 4x Tascam lav mics
    - 1x Shure shotgun
    - 1x Rode shotgun on shoe
    - 1x Zoom H5 handheld XLR recorder

Thank you again for your time and effort on this!

GT

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Just wanted to say good on you for supporting him and his dream. I know first hand most parents don’t encourage any type of art/design career.

Growing up my best friend and I were obsessed with making films. My parents tried to steer me towards a “normal” career. His parents supported him and helped him get started. Guess who made it big? If you like the Avengers you can thank his parents. :)

You’re son is a lucky young man. I hope he sticks with it, anything is possible. I wish him many years of success.

5. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Anthony,

Thank you for the kind words! I have "tested" him along the way to make sure he's committed and he's done well with that challenge. As he commits and meets some goals, I invest more $$ into him. Right now He's focusing about 80% of his time on learning and the other 20% on acquiring customers and real-world shoots.

If you can divulge, who is your friend? And you've taken your talents and made them into something awesome so I'm not sure you haven't "made it big". :)

HotShoe likes this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Joe Russo. :)

7. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Damn! I just told Sam that story - he loves it. :)

HotShoe likes this.
  8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Tell him to stick with it! I still remember everyone thinking Joe was just a crazy dreamer. Bet they think differently now. :)

GTHill likes this.
  9. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    My younger brother had a friend in school in the '90s whose parents bought him tens of thousands of dollars worth of movie making gear, sent him to expensive film camps, he won some sort of Spielberg award in high school, graduated from USCs' film school. Here he is today, everything he works on looks like low-budget garbage: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2996139/

He's now in his late 30s and my brother learned not to pick up the phone when he calls, he was always asking for money. Maybe his parents finally had enough and cut him off.

All this to say, GTHill has the right approach. Buying a fortune's worth of gear at the start of things is a bad way to go. When you're learning, you make what you have work and if you have talent and drive, the results will speak for themselves.

Yassa and GTHill like this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    GT, I pinged my son, he started on the 80D platform (not sure now) but had a TON of lenses for his skateboard photo work.

He may well have one of these, although an error had him leave a full gear bag at the skate park, one night!!
    Ouch...

Well, someone got the good out of it I'm sure!!

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He shot right back to me:

"No, unfortunately."

"eBay should have them used, or try the Houston Camera Exchange they should also......"
    Call down here to the Big City!!!

GTHill likes this.
  12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I have the following I am getting ready to list for sale if you are interested:
    Canon 20D
    Canon 7D
    Canon 70x200 2.8 L
    Canon 100x400 L 4.5
    Canon 16x35
    Canon Speedlite ex flash
    Canon 50mm
    Plus a other Canon accessories like remote shutter, bags, filters, lens hoods

if you’re interested I can email you detailed photos. I’m a hobbyist and this gear is like new with factory boxes for a lot of it