Ferrari FF MANETTINO Failure - 4WD Failure | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF MANETTINO Failure - 4WD Failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by PhantomCypher, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I visited Haris at H&S Motorsports and Mark @ Sphere Motorsports

I had Haris do my R134 freon refill, and I had Mark install my mini cat o2 extender thingys to eliminate my CEL I got from the lack of cats. Both did great work. I'm happy.

andyrichter likes this.
  2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It was Hal @ [email protected]

I am still looking for more information on their reputation, but from the back and forth I had regarding the FF PTU, he seemed somewhat knowledgeable and confident that any work would be covered under the plans he sells

Hope that gives you more insight

andyrichter likes this.
  3. fernanjos!

fernanjos! Rookie

May 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jose Fernandez
    I drove the car to the first shop and towed it to the second one, I didn't want to screw the car more than it was, the dashboard looked like a christmas tree with all the warnings and lights going on at the time.

4. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I was quoted $43.000 + labor ,Ferrari Ft Lauderdale

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thanks!

6. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    FWIW a forum member had their DCT replaced with the LaSalle warranty for ~$50k, was the red FF that was for sale for like $160k in the classifieds a couple months ago. I was going to buy their warranty but they wouldn't do it because the car is tuned.

andyrichter and vraa like this.
  7. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    If I ever had the bad luck for the PTU repair I would transport my car to GTE,

dgoldenz94 likes this.
  8. kenwidmerpool

kenwidmerpool Rookie

Jun 17, 2016
    California
    Yikes.

That's messing with my man maths, which go something like: "oh honey, the engine alone is worth xx,xxx.xx"

Apparently the PTU, too. :(

Thanks to those who provided alternative solution contacts.

Current data point: I got the 4WD man. failure all the signs of weak battery. So far so standard. This time, in a variation of Tolstoy (all FFs have battery related gremlins, but each in their own unique way), I seem to have lost my comfort mode suspension setting. There is no report of failure on the screen, I just know from putting 30k miles on the car that it seems stuck in the sport suspension setting, no matter in the comfort setting or in sport with the relaxed suspension setting chosen (it allows it but there is no difference in feel). My tires aren't old enough I think to have just "gone off" that drastically. They are from 2019.

Replaced with confidence the battery (interstate) and cleared codes (AFAIK) and no dice...
    And yet, even leaving my dentures in the ashtray, no car I've driven like it:D

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    How did they find out it was tuned? Who snitched lol

10. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I asked them up front because I didn’t want to pay $10k for a warranty and then have my claims denied so I wanted it all in writing that it was acceptable. Hal told me it would be fine and they could sell it to me. I sent him the receipts including for the tune. Then when I was ready to buy he said the underwriters won’t allow it and he “didn’t realize” I included the tune receipts even though we specifically talked about it on the phone. Oh well

vraa likes this.
  11. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Ooooh, thank you for sharing! This may just open up the possibility to finally owning one of these great cars. Great news

12. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    GTE being relatively local to me, makes things easier. And at an approx $10k fixed , It may then be better for me to keep my fingers crossed and ride it out. To spend around $6k or so for one year warranty I will likely keep putting away about $5k per year on the side for if and when I need it.

Bundy, papou and Altoria F like this.
  13. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Surprised that the only independent shops are all in the north east coast, California, Texas and Florida I’d have thought would be on the case of
    the PTU fix.

timjen88 likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Totally makes sense. Wld be interested to know if their rebuilt unit is in fact better than factory.

Bundy likes this.
  15. fernanjos!

fernanjos! Rookie

May 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jose Fernandez
    I know the last update they have they're using better parts than factory.

16. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Thats good to know! Hopefully I never need to find out.

17. sesto22

sesto22 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016
    What is the warranty company where you go that quote? Thx.

18. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  19. sesto22

sesto22 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016
  20. sesto22

sesto22 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016
    I have had 2 FF's, both ended up with PTU failures. One was fixed/sold, the other I decided to keep, fix and drive. I did not want to goto Ferrari for a new unit, $45-$50k in parts/labor, so I had it rebuilt by GTE in NJ. The first rebuild lasted only 2000 miles! It failed again. I sent it back. Upon re-install, it failed again with only a few hundred miles--literally leaking throughout and was having oil coming from under the undercarriage pan all the way in the rear of the car! Upon removal and inspection, the seals on the unit were leaking everywhere, and I MEAN EVERYWHERE!

When I tried to contact Serkan (GTE) via email, I never got a response. I was very measured in my email, and didn't want it to be too confrontational, so I did not call him:

Serkan, I put the re-repaired unit back in 2 weeks ago. I noticed some oil dripping from the rear of the car and thought it was from the exhaust. A few days later, once again, I got the typical 'manettino failure', '4wd low pressure' and 'wet mode’ alerts.

No oil in the reservoir. We took the underpanel off under the car and its leaking again. I’m beyond frustrated. This has cost me a lot of money, and lost time—my car has been out of service for nearly 6 of the last 9 months. I’m ~$25k into this, more than half of that for the rebuild, and I’m back at square one. It’s not leaking from the bleed screws, those are tight, and we can see 4/6 of them with the undercarriage off and there is no oil coming from those areas. The gasket material holding the PTU together is still soft, and can be peeled off with a little bit of digital pressure, maybe the gasket seal isn’t working as advertised/expected? Either way, I have a PTU that is non-functional, leaks and makes my car not drivable, and certainly not sellable.

I’m not keen on sending this back to you, as the last 2 times didn't work out…this last time only got me 2 weeks of driving, less than 1000 miles. I know I have paid for actual parts, sensors, actuators, wiring harness, shipping to/from twice, etc, but I’d like to know if you are at all inclined to refund me for any of the work you have done, so that I can pursue other avenues for this repair/replacement.

This is my daily driver, I only have a truck for a second vehicle, which is the daily driver for my gf. I cannot afford to have this car in the shop again for months awaiting removal, shipping, repair, return shipping, installation, as that is a minimum of another 8-10 weeks.

I’m a fair guy, and have tried your service twice. It didn’t work out. I would appreciate a fair refund for part/all of the $11,000 I spent on the repair itself, notwithstanding the broken parts, pieces, wiring harness, etc..

Thx,

-K-

Serkan called my mechanic, and was like, 'if he (me) wants to sue, then I will get my attorney involved right now'! I simply asked, nicely, via email, if he would take some responsibility and refund some of my money for the repair he did, twice! I'm not going to get into a legal battle, but was hoping he would do the right thing--I guess not.

In the end, my PTU needed to be repaired/replaced, and I had lost faith in GTE. So, I contacted Martin Parkes, Parkes Performance, in the UK. In 4 days I had a new PTU. I removed the leaky one from GTE, put it in the return crate, installed the new one and was on the road in 4 days!! Absolutely perfect. Cannot recommend Martin enough--he was always available, always answered questions, and has been a real pleasure to deal with. www.parkesperformance.co.uk

There is a reason some ppl don't take credit cards (GTE does not!). Martin also does not take them, either, but he researched a way to allow me to purchase the PTU via credit card that saved us both from the 2-3% transactions fees! Can't recommend Martin enough, and can't caution you enough to avoid Serkan/GTE.

If you are in the US, forget local, forget GTE, goto Martin Parkes! Literally ordered my PTU on a Wed, shipped out and arrived on Mon. We took my PTU out on Sunday evening, re-installed it on Tues/Wed and was back in my driver's seat on Thurs evening. My leaking PTU was sent back to Martin, picked up on Tuesday afternoon and delivered to him, in the UK, on that same Friday! DHL is the best for international shipping, in my experience, at least.

21. | Chilli |

| Chilli | Rookie

Jun 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gary
    If you don’t mind, I was wondering how the Parkes PTU is holding up now that it’s been a few months.
    Mine just failed, and I’m not getting the warm and fuzzy after talking with Serkan at GTE. Verbally quoted me ~$20k for the the repair and would not answer basic questions as far as what parts they’re using, oem or upgraded. Got defensive and basically said it’s a trade secret and if he were ever sued, he’d disclose it in court. Bizzare…It sux because I’m in NJ. So another option I’m considering is getting Parkes PTU as I’ve seen some great reviews and having a local indi install it. If anyone has done this or has better suggestions, I’d really appreciate it. The car is currently sitting at Ferrari of Philadelphia awaiting my instructions.
    Mine is a 2016 FF with 10k miles if someone wants to add it to the PTU failure list…

350MH83 likes this.
  22. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to the forum Gary and I’m sorry that it’s under such poor circumstances. Thank you for providing the details of your car, I’ll add it to the database.

Regarding GTE vs Parkes, I don’t have any direct experience of either repair but try sending Parkes an email to see what the difference is like in customer service and price. And then go with your instincts…

Radu likes this.
  23. | Chilli |

| Chilli | Rookie

Jun 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thank you

24. Emirateshills575

Feb 1, 2023
    UAE
    Full Name:
    X
  25. | Chilli |

| Chilli | Rookie

Jun 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My issue is that the couple of independent Ferrari shops around me in NJ won’t install customer supplied parts. Otherwise, that is my preferred choice. To purchase a refurbished unit with upgraded parts and have someone install it. I wouldn’t mind doing it myself if there was a detailed DIY on PTU removal, but I didn't see any. So, for now, my choice is to have the dealer do it if my warranty company approves the repair, or go with GTE. Speaking with GTE they alluded to theirs having upgraded parts. Also the dealer installed PTU comes with a 2 year warranty i was told although it is a ticking time bomb.