400i AC compressor removal | FerrariChat

400i AC compressor removal

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by sebackman, Jul 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi,

I would like to remove the AC compressor in my 400i. It has not been functional for many years and the combination with it being a convertible and the fact that it rarely gets very warm over here makes the AC not really needed. It is not converted to

Is there anything special I need to do or just disconnect the 2 hoses on topp, plug them, cut the belts and remove the compressor and the bracket?

I can easily be reinstalled later if requested by new owner.

//Rob

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Why don't you just replace it with a cheap York ER210R compressor. It was sold on techChoice for $180 (https://web.archive.org/web/20200803202654/http://techchoiceparts.com/inventory/117957-new-aftermarket-york-er210r-ac-compressor). TechChoice seems down, but Plenty of alternative in the same price range.

The "real" Ferrari compressor was made by Aspera. Aspera do use metric bolts and a slightly different cylinder head shape, but all in all are similar to the York ER206R. the 206 is harder to come by, less powerful, but slightly less noisy than the 210 (longer stroke). If you are only after a cheap fix, the ER210R (+ hydrocarbon gas + non-hardening leak sealer) is the way to go, at least that's less work than removing all the AC ancillaries.

3. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Thank you for the reply. It is probably the most rational way but since I dont know the satus of the rest of the system and I dont want to spend time on that now, hence the interest to take out the compressor. Or just cut the belts and let is stay in place. Is is possbile to remove the belts without removing the alternators?
    Thank
    //Rob

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    In this case you can just disconnect the (green?) wire that engages the compressor clutch. The magnet that locks the clutch will never be energised and the clutch will "freewheel" (i.e compressor shaft will be loose).

5. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi raemin,

I ended up doing just that. I left the compressor in place and isolated the cable which turned out to be damaged. I guess I need to take the compressor out to fix it as the cable has no isolation left on it on sections I cant see where it goes into the magnetic clutch or if there is a detachable contact down there.

Thank you for the input.

//Rob