Lotus Emira | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Lotus Emira

Discussion in 'British' started by sainthoo, Jun 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Midenginer

Midenginer Rookie

Dec 18, 2020
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig Robert Williamson
    I think it looks great and fits in well with the Evija.
    I'd take one over a Vette or Cayman. C8 is an interesting value but haven't driven one. I had a Cayman S but really prefer my Evora 400.
    For the foreseeable future I'll keep my E400 because I have two young boys that fit in the +2 and frankly I still prefer the more aggressive and unique look of my E400. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

bounty, Bryanp and pearsonhaus like this.
  2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    #102 Innovativethinker, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    The car looks fun and pretty exotic for the price.

I’ve been looking for a while for another toy car. While I like the new Corvettes there are just too many of them around and the dealers are marking them up beyond what I believe they are worth. I’ve had a 2016 911 and while it was a fantastic car the new Lotus certainly beats it in the looks department (IMHO). The FCars in the sub $150k range are the 430, 360, 355, California, 348, 328, to me the Lotus is more attractive that any of those models, and I’ve already owned two of them.

Specs, at least to me, don’t really matter much for my use, I’m not tracking the car and don’t want to be beat from the light from any Tesla wandering by, which eliminates just about every care on the planet (said another way, I don’t want to spend north of $150k on a car known for performance that gets beat by a $60k Tesla). As long as its a fun ride I’m good.

I’ve even considered going classic, like a 63-65 Corvette, or 65-67 Mustang.

I’m guessing there may be a lot of people like me, and that is who Lotus built this for.

Another added bonus, the wife would probably have fun with it as well, just as she did with the 911.

It has interested me a enough to go visit a dealer.

Tony K and pearsonhaus like this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A good freind in the U.K. stayed racing 7s in his 20’ and more latterly historic Alfa FTC. His daily is a 997 porche and Audi s7 wagon.
    He just ordered the Emira.
    Seems it’s resonating with a lot of people.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    memorable will be the last lotus as we know it, or possibly that’s the elige.

lifesttle vehicles from China, guess what that means

hopefully they continue to make one “real” lsportscar in Hethel to keep the brand “authentic “

geely is smart and will make money with lotus which means they will survive.
    In the electric future perhaps they will make superlative electric sports cars, but it’s clear the emira is the last of Hethel ice lotus as we knew it.

maybe the elige will survive under someone lime caterham.

last ice car from the factory will probably be a porche or maybe a Vette.

hard. To fathom that it will all end in a decade or so. Perhaps when ice is greatly diminished it will get a reprove for specialized use.

the component car industry will be selling ice cars for decades untill they are outlawed from the road.

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    It is unless you have to listen to his annoying voice reviewing one. LOL

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. FriscoRays

FriscoRays Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2005
    Since the 4C has come up and the word "Lotus" does come out of Jay's mouth, I'm going to leave this here. My 4C isn't going anywhere but the Emira may join it in a year or two.

8. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    An Emira Facebook group that I've joined stated that they have over 2,000 deposits down now. I had trouble finding recent production numbers online - the closest / most recent I've found: (and I have no idea if this is accurate)

Sales:
    2018: 1630 units
    2017: 1600 units
    2016: approx. 1450 units
    FY2015/16: 1,607 units
    FY2014/15: 2,015 units (729 Elise, 724 Exige, 562 Evora)
    FY2013/14: 1,296 units
    CY2011: 2,600 units
    FY2010/11: 1,985 units
    FY2009/10: 2,715 units
    FY2008/09: 2,280 units

Production:
    2020: 1,378 units
    2013: 1,368 units
    2012: 1,043 units
    2011: 1,457 units
    FY2006/07: 2,633 units
    CY2005: 5,053 units
    FY2004/05: 4,135 units

9. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Talked with a rep at Star Motor Cars in Houston, TX this morning. He said he already had a list of 30 folks for the Emira. Lots of interest for the car, could take a while to get one.

10. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    According to the presentation, waiting list for S1 Elise was 2 years, I could see waiting list get to that size later in the year when reviews start pouring out. I wouldn't be surprised if this would be a multiple car of the year winner. This is exactly the kind of thing car journalists have been going on about, the loss of the manual, loss of hydraulic steering, never ending power increases you can't use on the road, etc.

boxerman likes this.
  11. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I believe they said they were expecting Emira production to hit 5k/year, but that they would be able to expand production to 10k/year if needed

12. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    Some of the funniest type of people on Ferrarichat lol. Ferrari design language has been subpar for years now...

Many keep saying that Lotus copied Ferrari/Mclaren but Lotus designed the original Evora before the 458 which the 458 has many styling cues from. The 458 has been the basis of damn near every mid-engine car they've made to date. Sure the new Emira has a side scoop similar to just about 80% of mid-engine cars out there today. But, its styling comes from the Evija and the original S1 Elise and ultimately an evolution of the original Evora. Also, they've managed to do all of this in a little under 3 years...

sainthoo likes this.
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I dont know all what they copied where. To me the side profile has a little p3/4 about it which is excellent, the side scoops, who does not see pista in there. the front drops away fast which almost has a lambo sense to it. The front of so many Me cars today look blocky, this one does not. It all conveys a sense of shortness and beign compact, the same way a 992 porche does, although neither are small.

Doesent matter where all the cues came from, its well executed with good harmonious proportions, which is more than we can say of others. I dont think Lotus is tryign to set any new design trends, or create art, theyr ejust doing a well priced kickass looking workable supercar, and who wouldnt want that.
    If the C8 vette is an afordable aventador that works then this car is an afordable 458/488 that works.

pearsonhaus and 95spiderman like this.
  14. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    #115 Boostedtrav, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Yes, much of what you have stated is fair game. However, I do not believe many know a lot about Lotus and thus jump to conclusions. Lotus has always been fluid in its designs and Russel who has been heading Lotus design (fantastic designer btw) for quite some time always designed his cars as if they were in motion or purely based on aerodynamics first and looks second. A lot of people say they can't see Lotus DNA in this car but I can see so much Lotus in this car even though it is light years ahead of recent Lotus cars. for example, the interior looks like that of a Lotus Esprit

The car is unmistakably an evolution from the Evora which is like a 2-decade old design. Elements of Exige S3 and Elise combined with the new Evija DNA make up a large portion of the front-end design. The side profile (scoop) which is either Ferrari or McLaren (artura) depending on who you ask is an evolution of the Elise S1, Evora, and Evija with aerodynamics taken into consideration (only so many ways to design/position a side vent that's functional and fits the design). So even though it looks like a pista that evolved from the 488 which copied the Evora...this is just a circle of who copied who at this point.

All in all, as you've stated well done by Lotus, and at the price point of under 60k, it's at a motor history accomplishment for the history books.

Lastly, if you look up the Esprit Concept from 2010 you might ask who copied who because that design looks very similar to that of a modern-day Lambo Huracan.

pearsonhaus and sainthoo like this.
  15. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
  16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Ryan S., Pawilly and pearsonhaus like this.
  17. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    Agreed I also own an Evora 400 and at first, I did not like it from pictures. Saw a few in-person and fell in love with what it offered. I was debating on getting a GT3 or Scuderia this year even though the wife is completely against me spending a lot of money on cars, now I can consider staying in the brand once again and save some money...

I'll need to purchase a Scud one day as it's my favorite Ferrari.

ShineKen and sainthoo like this.
  18. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Personally I don’t care who copied who, I just care what it looks like.

Any artist studies art - and just by seeing a design it will stay in memory and affect the creative process in some manner.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    i dont think there is a lotus design DNA per se. the 7 looked like it did because thats just how it came out when they put the mechanical bits together. The elite was styled for sure in a generic late 50s way but really well executed. The elan went in a different design direction. I guess they all has small light litheness as an essential attribite and the radiator intake all have a similar lotus type shape. The europa seems not to have been styled much at all, like the 7 the shape was driven by functional requirements but the classic rad intake shape remained, and like a 7 its really small and low. The esprit went all period wedgy but still kept the small light look. I dont know where the fwd elan fits in.

Series 1 elisie seems to harken back to the elite in terms of front openings and like all lotuses converys small light compact great handling. the S2 has an angry insect look about it and the s3 goes back towards s1 and elite elan rad intake front end cues. All are about small light lithe.

The evora, its an original shape, maybe trying to fit too much in to a smallish footprint. Side profile seemed to crib a bit from the stratos, the 286 cribs even more, and if youre going to crib thats a great one. Its is for lotus a big car an does not try to look small.
    There are design and conceptual elemts of the emira that remind me a lot of the almost produced artega Gt. and or we might say it will achieve what the mvs venturi did not.

I await the first emira drive reviews with baited breath. I still havent bothered to read a sf90 review cause its sorta too heavy too powerful too tech and pointless., I do like the front end design though..

Boostedtrav likes this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yes on the scud someday, an experince which is quite different. Emira and not so unhappy wife is a win win. For soe reason few women love the many cars idea. If they uderstood that the car is the other woman and they are therfore secure it might be different.

21. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    I do agree with you regarding the ever-changing design of the Lotus DNA. I 100% can't argue with any of that and you are correct, for the NA market, we didn't even see half of the Lotus cars so we are even more jaded on what a Lotus is or more so thinking a Lotus is only a small Elige. Given what we know from Chapman I do believe the Emira still lives on as what he wanted to accomplish with the brand considering his vision for the Esprit before his passing.

Also, like you I haven't been too excited by many cars Ferrari has produced lately nor have I even read/watched a single video on the SF90, Roma, or 296 GTB. Too fast, too much tech, and nearly soulless. I feel Lotus is delivering us in modern-day some of the sensations of older Ferraris like the 360/430. If they truly had the money sooner they could have probably provided us with a better motor too...

Like you, I'm excited to hear about how it drives, how the AMG i4 sounds, and hopefully what race-lightened versions via carbon fiber and manual seat offerings they can give us in the future.

boxerman likes this.
  22. Boostedtrav

Boostedtrav Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Traviss Alexander
    Agreed! So far I have my first dream car a supercharged e92 M3 which I will probably never sell (owned 6 years now) and as I continue to watch the direction of BMW will most likely be my last BMW too. My Lotus which I stumbled upon a few years ago as a great easy to run mid-engine car as a stop-gap.. Fell in love with the brand along the way.

My two final stablemates will be a GT3 and the Scud and I think I could be a very very happy man. The wife has definitely become more understanding of my car addiction but I do not think she will ever fully understand, haha.

23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i have now watched every emira video on youtube. i am excited about this car and think it will be a car i will buy. i hope i can fit in it @ 6-3 and 228lbs?
    lovely looking car imho. like others, i want to see the test drive videos and based on those...i will decide to put my deposit in or not. i am curious as to how the v6 and i4 compare?

Pawilly and pearsonhaus like this.
  24. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    I agree it is a very nice looking car and I think, if it performs well, they have a winner. Especially at that price point. They may have more demand than they can quickly fill.

Pawilly likes this.