2020 Portland Spotter's Thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

2020 Portland Spotter's Thread

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by donv, Jan 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sure, there are tons of them. Also Oregon Raceway Park, although that's a bit of a drive from McMinnville.

TestShoot likes this.
  2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Wow, yeah, that is a haul. I saw a few Fcars on the "Hooked On Driving" events at PIR, thought about a summer shakedown of the car I am buying. If that other track is worth the time, I'd consider it. Once I have sorted the car it will go to the SF area for Laguna Seca and Sonoma tack time

3. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The two tracks are very different. PIR is pretty long, flat, has two long straights (they put a chicane in one of them) and is well suited to larger, high horsepower cars. ORP is very tight and twisty, only one straight which isn't all that long (or straight), lots of elevation changes... great for small, nimble cars.

docster and TestShoot like this.
  4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I saw a blacked out aventador headed west on hwy 14 near vancouver today. I have never seen one in person but dang they look cool.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Definitely very different tracks. I wouldn't call PIR long, being just under 2mi so lap times under 1:30 (for intermediate drivers), but definitely flat. ORP is a hoot with the elevation changes. Going in a couple weeks and then again in July. 6hr drive worth it for a two day weekend.

TestShoot and donv like this.
  6. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One other cool thing about ORP is that it can be run in either direction. For two day events you'll get a chance to run both ways. Really changes the visuals.

donv likes this.
  7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Couple videos of ORP were just posted in the Tracking and Driver Education Forum/Post Your Best Lap Times thread.

donv likes this.
  8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    355 spider with black wheels on flatbed near 99/18 iirc

9. chucklehead

chucklehead Karting

Mar 28, 2005
    Beverly, MA
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Saw a bunch of Ferrari’s with Shell logos on them at Jantzen Beach. I was thinking the Annual Meet was cancelled LOL.

10. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    I think the Drive Oregon part remained.

11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes the Drive Oregon is still on but they have events planned most of the week. Brothers Collection. Ron Tonkin gala. day drives and then the big drives thrus-sat

12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    All the cars are leaving Thursday morning from the red lion so there may be close to 100 cars ripping out about 7am

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They are still doing the Brothers Collection and the Ron Tonkin Gala? What did they cancel then, just the concours and nothing else?

14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Well, they officially cancelled the FCA event in its entirety but not the Drive Oregon. Then some of the local folks started scheduling what events they could and they ended up with everything except the speakers, concours, PIR track day. They did a heck of job and were able to put together a real great itinerary.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Would have been nice if they had communicated that to those of us who had signed up!

pdxjim488 likes this.
  16. chucklehead

chucklehead Karting

Mar 28, 2005
    Beverly, MA
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    halr75 and 3POINT8 like this.
  17. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    I had signed up for the Annual Meet (F1 and F2), but not Drive Oregon. My interest was in the concours and track days at PIR, none of which happened. When I heard of additional events (day drives, Brothers Collection etc) being added to fill the void I asked if I could join in and was told, rather bluntly, that only those who were going on the Oregon drives were invited. I would have gladly paid a fee to take part but that wasn't offered as an option - not sure why. Don't get me wrong. I have been a NWRFCA member for 10 years and have enjoyed a variety of events. It's a great club with a lot of folks that work very hard to make things happen. It just seems like, in this case, more could have been done for the members who signed up to enter the events unique to the Annual Meet. Just my 2 cents.

donv likes this.
  18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I signed up for the annual meet, Brothers Collection, Tonkin Gala, etc. Not the drives, because I live here and don't really have time for that. How was this even communicated? I'm also an NWRFCA member, and I saw nothing.

pdxjim488 likes this.
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I'll ask around. It sounds like its like what wiley355 said is that you had to be signed up for drive oregon to get access to the rest of the events. maybe it was the drive oregon guys that set it all up

20. halr75

halr75 Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Saw a RC 488 and Rosso Dino Roma heading south on I5 just north of Eugene, must have been heading home from the meet. Shortly behind was a convoy of ~40 'vettes as well....

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Dark colored Roma this morning on NW Cornell Rd. Pretty car!

22. dubdub

dubdub Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Red 488 Spider this afternoon - gas station at 26 and NW Glencoe just outside of North Plains.

23. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Standing on my front deck this morning when a red Testarossa idled by. Sounded great.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

24. Dblaettl

Dblaettl Rookie

Jun 21, 2021
    There was a red Testarossa for sale at the Wilsonville Ferrari dealership a few months ago. I wonder if this is the same one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    May have been.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk