Ferrari 296 GTS - Targa or Spider ?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 296 GTS - Targa or Spider ??

Discussion in '296' started by F2003-GA, Jul 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    I was just told the convertible (targa /spider) is a end of 2022 or early 2023 at the earlest. i am assume $350k + price tag which means by that time - there will be 812 SF priced under that and perhaps 812gts not too far off.

HUMM....

2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Interesting indeed - did your source say anything about how the convertible top would operate ?

3. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    no - it was my sales person w an email asking if i wanted to put in a deposit and i said only for the spider and he said he wont need the deposit yet. the spider as i referred to it in the email he said is 6 -12 months behind the hard top

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Similar to the short gap between SF90 coupe and spider

5. Dela

Dela Karting

Aug 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    D
    Really appreciate your perspective! Looking forward to seeing it in person.

6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My previous new car orders had about $80K in options. That would put this car car close to $450K when you add in destination and gas guzzler tax. Ferrari has finally reached my price elasticity limit.

7. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    in my mind hard top $300 and $325k convertible w $30 options and $40 misc tax etc = around $400 - so yes that is $$$.

i know we have inflation but yikes! the proliferation of good cars new and used the menu of things to buy w $400k will be LONG

09Scuderia and F2003-GA like this.
  8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    It's going to require incredible discipline and restraint to spec $30k in options. Even without super minimal carbon (steering wheel), a basic paint color, and some of the bare minimum to protect any type of resale (lift, homelink, mirrors, parking sensors), you're at $42k in options. And it's a snooze spec.

D11 and F2003-GA like this.
  9. PA Wolfpacker

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Even if you can satisfy yourself with $30K in options the car will be more than 4 times the cost of a C8. I’ve owned 4 F cars so the next one may not have that adrenaline rush of the previous models, but for me I’m leaning toward giving the C8 a try. NA V8 with a strong exhaust is appealing to me. There will be a long line of customers to take my place in line for the Ferrari

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I haven't had a chance to hear the C8 in person so it's hard for me to compare. And only a select few in Europe have really heard the 296 in person, so it's a little early to pass judgement. That said, IMHO, it's a stretch to compare the two cars in the same light.

The way my brain is wired in seeing things that look beautiful vs. not doesn't vibe with the C8. I've seen in photos, in person, and on the road on the highway. It's a a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder. I'll leave my aesthetic comment at that. There are other aspects of C8 ownership that do not appeal to me like dealing with service, warranty, etc as well.

Some cars out there are a steal/massive value play when compared to what's clearly been the inspiration for their design. There are many examples of value vs inspiration comparisons in different car segments that we could make. Personally, with some of those comparisons, I just wouldn't enjoy the value play as value/cost ≠ enjoyment to me as much as beauty, driving pleasure, performance, exclusivity, etc. I'm the typical marketing target consumer for the supercar brands, and that's cool with me.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. BLUESL

BLUESL Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    London
    The car already looks to be a packaging nightmare and that’s before you think of a folding hardtop to sit and melt on top of the engine with its turbos under that stainless heat shield.

They must have thought it through though because spider sales outnumber coupés.

12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    didn't Ferrari submit a patent a couple of years ago for a Targa top, would fit with the timelines.

crinoid, ARAUJO77 and F2003-GA like this.
  13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    #39 F2003-GA, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Yes I've seen that mentioned before, along with patent filing sketches

14. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    The return of T Tops

SonomaRik, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Always a possibility. IMO better than a single piece targa

SonomaRik and carguyjohn350 like this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I wonder if it flexes as badly as the past few spiders?

17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Here we go: CAR WITH TARGA TOP BODY PROVIDED WITH SUNROOF OR OPEN ROOF

That said, it would be a little unusual for them to reveal the patent without a design in fast follow (or vice versa). Sometimes patents like these are only released when Ferrari is sure it would not implement something like this in quite some time (not because it is bad, but moreso because they didn't fall in love with it) -- otherwise if it was for an incoming vehicle, they have a difficult choice of protecting the trade secret/IP until it is revealed vs. the risk of a leak or someone incidentally landing upon this idea. The strategic release of patents not only prevents other makes from doing something too similar to their idea, but stirs up interest/drama/discussion about their cars.

crinoid and F2003-GA like this.
  18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The design looks like it can reduce wind buffeting in the cabin quite significantly

19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I prefer targas to spiders but...I cant afford this anyway lol

MANDALAY and F2003-GA like this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ild imagine if it was a targa it would flex less. Unfortunately mu mats Trans AM flexed to the point he couldn't close his doors :(

IIRC they said the battery is in the pan of the car . Dare say there has to be a bit more reinforcing in the shell.

jlharlan likes this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Trans Am? Seriously?
    45 yr old car/technology

Jakuzzi and anunakki like this.
  22. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I was at my dealer this past weekend, I was told there will be no spider version of this car. Targa perhaps, we didn't chat about that, but they said no spider.

23. PA Wolfpacker

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I have decided to pass on the 296 but if I were going to buy one it would have been a spider. Wonder if this will hurt overall sales of the 296.

fredhassen likes this.
  24. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    The question of the open 296 version is not « if? » but « when? », as there WILL be an open version of the 296 - not sure if targa or spider.

D11 and Caeruleus11 like this.