New Bern and Hickory NC | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Bern and Hickory NC

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by slm, Jun 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I know this is the NC subforum, but what about Alabama? Birmingham is a pretty decently sized city and a few years ago UAB was hurting for CT surgeons and they are pretty well known there (Kirklin). The best racetrack in the US imo is there and they have a pretty nice car crowd even up north in Huntsville.

2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks for the thoughts. There are a lot of opportunities out there. The two I was asking about were interesting jobs in an are of the country we were interested in. I am looking at a number of options.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  3. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I can't see where you live. This site (F-chat) seems to be messed up.

As far as where you live, if I can't say anything positive I should not say anything at all.

4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    No worries. We are in Joplin, MO which is at the edge of the ozarks. We are genuine hillbillies. :p

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I live just south of New Bern - wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I have a house on the water (a branch of the Inter Coastal Waterway). My insurance is $500 a year for flood and Wind, hail and hazard for a $650K house is $2,200 per year. My property taxes are $1,800 a year and has one of the best school systems in North Carolina (Carteret County is consistently ranked in the top five in the State). No traffic (as long as you don't try to get on Emerald Isle during the Summer months). Very little crime - almost non existent. I can go to the beach quicker by boat than by car, fish, shoot guns, travel 20 minutes down the road and work on my farm, hunt, play golf, shop in New Bern or Jacksonville, drink beer while cutting my grass, do fireworks in the country where nobody is bothered by them. I can stretch the legs of my 458 on back roads and rarely worry about the man in blue. Yes, I would much rather live as a Redneck.

As far as hurricanes, I have been through so many, it is like illegitimate kids - Floyd, Bertha, Florence, Bonnie, etc etc. The only one in thirty years that was bad was Florence. However, I got a new roof, new flooring, several rooms repainted - about $45K in repairs- paid for by my insurance. Most of the items needed to be replaced anyway.

As far as living in any of the larger cities - you can forget that. Take Raleigh, sitting in traffic for long periods of time, higher crime, real estate prices going through the roof (thanks to people relocating from California to work for Apple and people leaving other parts of the country) high real estate taxes, toll roads. Almost as bad as living in NJ or NY. No thanks.

New Bern and Greenville (not really a fan of Greenville due to rising crime) have excellent heart centers. New Bern has the Carolina East Heart Center that has about 20 different heart doctors that specialize in different aspects of heart health. Has a great reputation.

I might be a Redneck - but I am happy. For those that consider me a Redneck, please stay where you are as we have enough transplants saying "Well where I came from.........). If it was so good, then why did you leave?????

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm delighted nobody wants to live in my redneck town of North Carolina, Winston-Salem! ;)

I'll be in Asheville this weekend for a bike race. If *anyone* is in the region, generally NW of the city, please drive carefully. I was run over by a pickup truck (and pinned underneath a rear wheel) a few years ago in the region, and I'm not keen to have it happen again.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    About to leave from Raleigh for Asheville…in a pickup. I’ll be on the lookout for you, but let me know if you need your competitors “delayed” a bit.

8. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    damn wish I had known. We came really close to staying at GPI this weekend, but crapped out at the last min.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Better yet, toss a tow-rope out the back and drag me up the timed segments of the race!

10. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Ill do it! But only with an official Ferrari approved tow rope.

11. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Look Florence South Carolina
    Medical Mecca
    McLeod health huge! Excellent
    Close to everything
    Charleston Charlotte beaches
    Been here 16 years amazing medically

12. slm

slm F1 Rookie