Old photos of UK Ferrari | Page 46 | FerrariChat

Old photos of UK Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wheels1, Dec 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Added to that, it gives me far more pleasure to see David Piper's "330P4", with a lot of period history, being regularly raced seriously on track than Lawrence Stroll's perfectly original and very beautiful one and highly historic, at the occasional high end International Concours.

SmokyDave, Patrick Dixon and allandwf like this.
  2. Si27

Si27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Away from the track there was always a great collection of road going Ferrari's at the Silverstone Historic Races in the late 1990's. This is a converted 365GTB/4, completed by Foskers in the 1980's I think. The registration isn't quite readable on this photo but it was WHH 314J which would make this #14269 ... as always corrections welcomed....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wheels1 likes this.
  3. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Spot on with 14269! Was this a number you took at the time or one you have looked up since?

This is a car that used to be at lots of events but that I have not seen for a while. There is a photograph of the car in the same spot (but from a slightly different angle) on Barchetta:

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/14269.365GTB4.htm

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #1129 Wheels1, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    of2worlds likes this.
  5. Si27

Si27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I didn't take the number at the time but lined the chassis / reg / photo from the Coys Sale in 2016. The photo on barchetta.cc is really close, similar angle just some background differences, I hadn't seen that before, thanks for pointing me to it.

6. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I forgot to mention that your image of the Daytona is also from 1999.

7. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    Daytonafan and Si27 like this.
  8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    365 GTB/4 chassis #16711.

Mark Blanchard likes this.
  9. Manuel.G

Manuel.G Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    España - Madrid
    I found a new photograph of this unit, Silverstone, year? Event?

photo by Roy Twycross

10. Si27

Si27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Still sorting through and scanning my old photos, I think this was from a Ferrari Owners Club National Meeting in the mid 90's, but as always I could be wrong......

Timo Seefeld and Ferrari27 like this.
  11. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Looks like Elton Hall to me and if so, then 1993.

12. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Yes, Elton Hall, July 4 1993 showing 0569GT

13. Si27

Si27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Wheels1 likes this.
  14. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I know this might be a long shot, but who knows this 288 GTO? I took this picture at the Coys International Historic Festival in 1997. I have three candidates:
    - B724 KNH
    - 3 BYH
    - NAL 20

Maybe someone has a picture from a different angle with the registration visible? This was still the analogue age where you had to be economical with your rolls of film! So I only have this one picture...

15. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Ooh, that's a good one. I can see from Flickr albums that B724 KNH (54781) and NAL 20 (56207) were both present that day. They're both parked on grass in the pictures I saw, but obviously cars can move, so that proves nowt. The car above looks like it has red 4 point harnesses, but my eyes might be playing tricks on me. It also seems to have a small rectangular sticker in the rear quarter window, but I can't find that on any other pictures.

I just typed a lot of words to essentially say 'dunno, but thanks for giving me 10 minutes of fun while I tried to figure it out'. There's a video of the whole event on Amazon Prime, but I don't have a 'Motor Trend' subscription and it's probably entirely track focused anyway.

I'll keep idly flicking through the Joe Sackey GTO book and if I spot anything, I'll squeal.

bigodino likes this.
  16. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    I think you are right. I recently bought the video from the same event 1998 and 99% of the video is focused on the track and the races

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It's 54781! I've compared other pictures that I have and it matches with the red seat belts, the small square decal on the left rear side window as well as the yellow rectangular decal on the lower left corner of the wind screen. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    By the way here's a picture of the same event that I thought was interesting to share. No less than three plexi nose Daytonas in a row.

19. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Ah fantastic! Glad you've put a name to the face. One thing I learned combing through pictures is that the attendees brought some incredible cars, and I really wish I'd have been there.

20. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Yes those were the days for me. The Shell Historic Challenge but also the FOC display and parking were incredible with lots of classic Ferraris. I was also amazed by the Ferraris one could find parked among the RVs at the participants' camp site. Can you imagine a SWB or GTO parked this way today?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JOEV likes this.
  21. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    3527, with 0521 in the background! Yum. The SWB Comp is stunning, I have a CMC model of one on my desk and I dread to think how long my eyes have rested on her.

Those candid images make me miss visiting Cadwell Park, back in the 80's. Back then I rode my BMX around the track after the racing, picking up bits of fibreglass as I went along and then later regretting not wearing gloves. Great days though, and the car parks and paddocks were always open to all.

22. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    While we're at it, I'd like to take advantage of this thread to try and identify some UK Ferraris that I've spotted over the years.

The first one is this 275 GTB/C ( PRP 140D ) seen at the 1999 FOC National Meet & Concours at Broughton Castle.

Next is a 275 GTS in a beautiful colour at the same event ( JB 16 ). The license plate might suggest that this car was maybe owned by Joe Bamford?
    This 250 GTO replica at Maranello Sales, Egham in July 1999 ( CSL 207 ):
    And this 365 GT 2+2 at Silverstone in 1999 (Coys Historic). 6 HWP.

23. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Or you could just look them up Peter!

24. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi Jonathan,

Ah yes, I will do that too. I have a few weeks of now as mentioned to you so I'll dive into it.

25. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Excellent!