"There is nothing worse than a cheap Ferrari Testarossa" Truth or overblown? | FerrariChat

"There is nothing worse than a cheap Ferrari Testarossa" Truth or overblown?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stewartjp, Jul 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stewartjp

stewartjp Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Stewart Perry
    G'day Everyone,

I am getting started on looking for a driver quality Testarossa.

Today I watched this buyers guide -

The gentleman spends most of the video using strong language around if you buy one without a perfect service history you face impending doom and likely a six figure bill, but never tells us why, or what will be wrong.

For me, I can't afford a 10k mile car with full history, and it would be truly wasted on me as I want to a car to drive around and put miles on without too much worry.

My question is, if I buy a good running car that isn't rusty, with hopefully some service history, but maybe not and say 40-70,000 miles. What is realistically going to be wrong?

As far as I can see, a fuse board, full engine out service timing belts and clutch, new tyres, maybe a brake rebuild or fuel system rebuild sure, but I am having a tough time seeing $100k of work.

Keen to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Many Thanks

Stewart

K

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Look at this guy’s motivation.....he is in the business to sell cars, and knows he will make more money in top end cars than driver grade. He is trying to recruit more buyers with a “look how smart I am” approach.

Take anything a car salesman says with a mountain of salt.

Get any car inspected by a guy that knows their stuff. Can you have a 5 figure repair bill at some point? Yes, it’s part of the ownership experience.

stewartjp and Grease Donkey like this.
  3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    "high" mileage is fine, with a full blown PPI, find the car and drive it and enjoy it. It's as simple as that.

stewartjp likes this.
  4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The two big worries are the differential, and timing belts. Other than this, the Testarossa is a very solid car. Years ago I had a TR that many would consider a "clunker" or a "parts car" but it did run...not great....but no unusual noises or anything. I worked through various issues and it ended up being a great driving car that never let me down.

stewartjp and turbo-joe like this.
  5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I bought mine at 73,000 miles and seven years later I am at almost 95,000.

If you want to enjoy these cars, you are going to replace stuff regardless. Even on low mileage examples.

stewartjp and EZORED like this.
  6. stewartjp

stewartjp Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Stewart Perry
    Thanks Everyone,

Your replies are exactly what I was expecting, I am expecting bills, 5 figures occasionally, no worries.

Really appreciate it.

Shark01 and dkyranakis like this.
  7. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Check with Bill Fulkrod at SpeedWorks in Osteen, FL he may be able to hook you up.

8. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Personally, they say buy the best you can afford, but I would say if you have some decent mechanical skills, meaning you have done brakes before and have done general tune ups on other older cars the maintenance thing can be a bit overblown. I love buying a car with some slight issues that I think I can fix. If I cant fix it I can always pay, but trying with the help of this forum is a great experience. I have many different brands of cars but NO Forum is as good as this one in my opinion.....bar none. Very helpful professionals on here. With simple skills you can change the oil, change the air filter, change the fuel filters, change the plugs.....lots of them. You can do the brake pads etc. I would say if you get a center lug nut car 87 or earlier then it is pretty difficult to get a wheel off. Mine probably had not been off in many years before I bought it and it was still incredibly hard with the special 3/4 lug nut tool and a 48 inch breaker bar and an 8 foot pipe over the breaker bar. No car I have owned ever gets the looks that a TR gets.

stewartjp likes this.
  9. stewartjp

stewartjp Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Stewart Perry
    Thanks mate! I am pretty handy, have done quite a lot of work on other cars, thanks for the encouragement

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I agree with Giallo Uno...this forum is the best I've seen. The most complicated system is the fuel injection, I bought a 4-Gas Analyzer so I could make proper fuel adjustments. For sure - watch the electricals and mother board for issues, heat...etc. The Flat-12 engine is built like a battleship, when maintained they go a long time, just check the timing belts occasionally for any odd wear, or the presence of oil / coolant. The Testarossa is a great car....I've had several and miss them all dearly....

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. stewartjp

stewartjp Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Stewart Perry
    Thanks Car Guy, really appreciate it. I already own an innovate motorsports 4 gas tuning meter, now I need the Testarossa to go with it :)

12. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Like Giallo Uno said, buy the best one you can afford. I have gone both ways. I do all my own work ( I was an aircraft mechanic on the special air missions fleet at Andrews AFB and owned my own repair shop for 25 years after that) In the long run it is cheaper to buy the more expensive car and much more enjoyable. Overall, I think the TR is a very reliable, sturdy car and easy to work on.

fridolin_pt and stewartjp like this.
  13. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    If you buy an “old” car the cheapest is the most expensive.
    I have my Testarossa for 30 years now. No major disaster. The fuse board is a weak spot. Replacement recommended. Recent timing belt service mandatory. Condition of clutch and brakes depend on how the previous owner handled the car. Differential is a potential weak spot depending how rude the previous owner was driving the car. The injection system is not state of the art, the next generation was better but I never had any problem. For me it was a reliable car, nice to drive on long distances and fun on bending roads if you like the experience of the electronic free driving of the time when the Testarossa was the start of the Ferrari hype, culminating with the F40.

stewartjp and turbo-joe like this.