TdF blue, old and new | FerrariChat

TdF blue, old and new

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Jul 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    poljav, RWP137, F456M and 15 others like this.
  2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The color works very well with the lines of both cars. Interesting to see the same color side by side separated over so many years

Nicolas21 likes this.
  3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    yes, I agree.

For me, the colour suits the 575 perfectly as it is a subtle colour on a quiet design.

The 812 is a more aggressive design, and I think it looks good in the more standout colours. The SF that I reviewed last year was in Rosso Corsa, and I thought that was perfect.

All personal taste.

Auraraptor likes this.
  4. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    575 looks beautiful in any colour!

LARRYH, root, tritone and 1 other person like this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Quite a difference in tailpipe size between the two. 575Ms are ~72 mm and the 812's must be around 100 mm. But then, she is pumping a bit more air.

Themaven likes this.
  6. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    The rear end looks far better on the 575 to.me.

I have been trying to remove my bias but can't.

Does anyone here prefer the 812's rear ?

Il Tifoso, Auraraptor and greg246 like this.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Maranello looks better from every angle, including the rear. More elegant, less boy racer. Is it just me / the photos, or is the 575 a shade darker than the 812?

LARRYH and Il Tifoso like this.
  8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    575M is prettier, 812 is meaner looking.

Themaven likes this.
  9. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    The 812 looks huge, I don’t think it would even fit in my driveway (width is the problem). I wish they were able to keep it within the 575 footprint.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It certainly feels wider. There is also the issue of bonnet/hood length. The 812 is not much longer, but if you look at my picture, you will see it has a lot more in front of the driver, and the front part is completely invisible from the driver seat. You feel like you are sitting over the rear wheels, and it makes it interesting to place.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Looking at them side-by-side in real life, I agree. The 575 is just a shade darker, and actually I prefer the darker shade. I don’t know if that is the effect of age, or if they have actually changed the paint.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I showed both cars last night to a friend who is slightly into cars, but not that much.

To my surprise, he not only preferred the looks of the 575, he said it looked like “pure speed“.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  13. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    There is a subtle difference in "our" TdF and "modern" TdF. I have recently noticed as I tormented myself in the classifieds that there is also a "TdF 70" which was first used on the 70th anniversary cars and which is a touch lighter, a touch brighter and a touch more metallic. Seeing the two cars side by side helps to relieve that torment a touch: your 575 (and by extension my 550) is very much holding its own. The modern cars are occasionally tempting but not yet quite enough to justify the expenditure....

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think you are right about the TdF colour. It really makes sense. Side by side the 812 was the shade you describe. I prefer our darker blue.

as to the cars, they aren't directly comparable. The 812 GTS is a monster, but feels more relaxed than the SF due to greater weight in the floorpan. At regular road speeds, it doesn't give much. The Marenellos are very distinctive.

15. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I prefer the Maranello's rear end vs the modern twin tail lights. I'm not as big a fan on how recessed in the taillights are placed under the trunk lip.

I also prefer the single light rear end of the F12 over the 812.

Now comparing the Maranello rear end vs the F12 rear end, that's a tough one for me.

16. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I have always found that I warm to the modern V12s some time after their initial launch. I recall being very underwhelmed when I first saw the pictures of the 550 in Autocar in 1996, but now (with a hint of confirmation bias!) consider it to be one of the best looking Ferraris and had a similar reaction to the F12 at launch but now find myself looking at them in classifieds every few months and feel my car buying impulses twitching (held back so far only by the desire to cling on to the gated transmission and a sense that I really don't need that much performance....). I have not yet found myself lusting after 812s, but perhaps I will in a year or so...

(The 599 is a bit of an outlier in this - I thought it looked great at launch, I still think it looks pretty good today but it is just so big in the metal...)

rhern213 likes this.
  17. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Same for me, at the time I thought from styling the 355 was still my favorite. However the one thing that I always did fall in love with from the very beginning was the 550's interior. The smooth sweeping curved center console and 2-tone color mixed with the analog gauges was and is just elegant, tasteful, and beautiful.

A_Christoofar likes this.
  18. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Yes - absolutely. The 550 interior is leagues ahead of the 355.

Mirek likes this.
  19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I like my 550's interior...

But my F355 Challenge's interior is better suited for the track. It's all business in there...

rhern213 and ralfabco like this.
  20. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    308 GTB likes this.
  21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Well put! :)

A_Christoofar likes this.
  22. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    That's cheating :D

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    When I had my 550 (may she rest in peace) and my 575together, I used to get into one from the other and compare interiors. The 550 interior is cooler, in terms of purity of design. 575 is better quality and a nicer place to be. That's a double edged sword because a Lexus is a nice place to be.

The 575 interior now feels very classic and chic, compared for example to the slightly generic 812.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- I have never been fond of gauges out of my line of sight, so like the 575M layout. Miss a head-up display, though.