Filling Up in CA | FerrariChat

Filling Up in CA

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Joel Delman, Jul 18, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Hi All,

No, not a post to vent about our ridiculous gas tax here in CA, but rather about the compatibility of my 575 with (seemingly) every CA emissions compliant pump I've been too so far...

Is it just my 575 (a 2004), or do these anti-vapor pumps not work well with the filler on our cars? And is there a trick to making a fill up easier? I have had to let gas trickle in, and work to find / hold the "sweet spot" to keep gas flowing.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

2. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I had similar problem 12(?)years ago. Quite annoying on a road trip, stopping at several dealers to sort it out. The final solution was to replace the charcoal filter in the evap system.

3. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Thanks, I'll look into that as a possible fix

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I usually have to try multiple angles as it seems that the pump cuts out intermediately due the perceived pressure. This happens on a lot of my newer cars here in CA and even in NY. Some worse than others but the Ferrari can be the most “sensitive” to this. I just grin and bear it, meanwhile my car is in the shop again.

Joel Delman likes this.
  6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Had same issue with my 360 it drove me nuts, then my 458 sometimes until i found a little rubber gadget you put over the filler then stick nozzle in that lets the pump keep going. The 550 has been fine and easy to fill up

Joel Delman likes this.
  7. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Interesting, just read the auction comments... Seems like he had quite a few issues with the fuel filler, and in the end was advised to "do it slowly" :)

8. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    I was actually thinking that some sort of rubber "seal" could be a fix... Would you have a link to the gadget you found?

9. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Joel Delman likes this.
  10. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
  11. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Have had this issue for years. Final solution that seems to work 95% of the time.

Flip the nozzle upside down and leave a small gap in the connection to let the pressure release. And make sure you are filling up when cold.

Any other time I still have problems.

Joel Delman likes this.
  12. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Thanks... Crazy to see how many others face the same issue. One more reason to be sick of CA I guess.

I ordered the rubber seal mentioned above, will report back after I have had a chance to give it a try

13. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Joel- I am having a similar issue with my 04. How has the rubber seal worked out?

14. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Steve,

Unfortunately the rubber seal didn't work at all for me... I did find the "hold the filler upside down" technique helped somewhat though, at least at one station.

Best,

Joel

15. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    I have the same problem with my 04. It "fixed itself" for awhile but the super slow fueling is back.

Almost certainly the charcoal cannister or solenoid. This is a problem that plagues many car types as a quick check on youtube will affirm...

Joel Delman likes this.
  16. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good to know- thanks. I've found the hold the filler upside down approach works sometimes, but not others. Looks like replacing the charcoal cannister and/or solenoid might be the best long-term solution.

Joel Delman likes this.
  17. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I had similar problem in my 2000 Jaguar XK8. Replacing the charcoal canister and vent valve solved the problem. There are two fuel vapor recovery systems. The Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) systems which are carbon canisters in cars since the early 2000s to capture the fuel vapors evacuated from the gasoline tank before they reach the nozzle of a gas pump. The fuel vapors captured in the carbon canisters are then returned to be combusted in the engine when the car is in operation or vented out through a vent solenoid. The other recovery system is the Stage 2 Gasoline Vapor Recovery which returns the vapors from the car's fuel tank through the filling hose back to the station's fuel tank. When the canister is clogged or vent solenoid is stuck in the closed position pressure builds up inside the tank during fueling preventing more fuel from getting dispensed. The 575 should have a secondary vent hose from the tank back to the filler neck which should provide pressure relief by utilizing the station's Stage 2 recovery system. I'd check the vent hose for blockage and check the canister and vent solenoid for proper operation.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby