Carpet Install Testarossa | FerrariChat

Carpet Install Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Gialllo uno, Jul 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So I decided to show the Testarossa some love. I bought a new carpet set about a year ago and it was laying around as life got in the way. I will try to post some pictures on what has transpired and what to do. Some quick snapshots of what I did.

1. I removed the loose carpet on drivers side and passenger side where floor mats would go.
    2. I removed the speaker enclosure by your feet, there was basically 1 screw holding it in . Once the screw is taken out you can pull out the enclosure. Mine had 6 1/2 inch vintage kicker speakers in them,
    3. The kick panel speaker enclosure represents a somewhat unique dilemma, as you can peel off the carpet without too much trouble, but the new carpet did not come with the leather speaker hole sown in. I used a thread ripper from clothes and took out the stitching. I was going to take it to a dry cleaner or a shoe leather replacement place, but took it to a guy who does interiors and convertibles etc. He hated it as the carpet wasnt cut correctly and it was wool which was very stiff to work with. He did it but complained about it tghe whole time. I was going to do it myself, but on hindsight glad he did this little bit,
    4. I removed the passenger seat. 4 bolts that are Allen head type bolts. Be careful not to mess them up. Not sure what size they were, but I found the Allen head to not be real deep, so be careful. Once they are removed the seat comes out.
    5. The floor carpet basically lays there and has some Velcro strips holding it in.

I will continue this post and see if I cant upload some pictures.

One interesting thing I found and shame on me, the carpet I was pulling out was a beige carpet, but the original was a red carpet!!!! I will show you how I confirmed it.

Thanks Mark

V4NG0 likes this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those allen head types are M 8 x 1,25 with 6 mm allen head. but special allen head, only half as high as standard

3. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was going to replace the Allen head bolts with some that are deeper. I worry that either I or someone in the future will strip them and that would be a pain for whomever. I am trying to deal with the wiring issues I found as someone at some point had a radio installed and had an amplifier installed on the metal plate in the passenger compartment where your feet would rest. They tapped into some of the wires for switched power and for constant power. I want to get it all out, but obviously be safe in what is removed. They had also installed a "Viper" car alarm which I found the tangled wires to and the box in the drivers side speaker enclosure!!!! Thanks Romano.

4. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When I removed the rear Leather trim behind the seats, it is a very small Philips screw on each side hidden by some of the trim leather the longitudal piece will come out. It is somewhat of a tight fit, so don't man handle it as it is an aluminum piece that basically has leather attached to it and it will bend very easily. Once this was removed I started to see more of the original red carpet and sure enough the previous installer left the red carpet on the rear shelf and glued the new beige carpet over it.

5. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Its almost scarry what PO have done, or had done to these cars!!

6. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Scary isn't the word. I am trying to bring back to life my Testarossa that when I bought it I knew needed much attention. I have done lots to it, but of course lots more needs to be done. I am going to try and upload some pictures with the interior basically out.

7. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I did find while removing the old smelly nasty carpet and underlayment some more unaccounted for wires under the drivers seat???? Any idea what it is for?

The ones in the console in my previous post is that for maybe a missing light???

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
  9. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When I removed the carpet there was basically 9/16 thick hard black foam that the carpet was laying on. I don't know if it was installed when the color was changed or if that is how it left the factory and they reused it. I am replacing it as I want to get rid of that musty, mouse, chipmunk and other creature small I have lived with!!!!!!

10. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    What color is you car? The wire may be aftermarket installed by PO. where does it lead to?

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this wire could be for the safety belt when not buckled up?
    or goes somewhere to the center console?
    it is only 1 wire in orange/black?

12. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is only 1 wire in orange and black. It is coming out of the console and ends under the seat. I will double check the color and confirm it is one wire?

13. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
  14. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry for the delay life has been getting in the way. There are very small philips screws with metal tabs that are affixed to the trim molding. There are screws at each end of the trim. They are tiny Philips screws. I had 3 screws in my bag.....but only (2) metal tabs one on each end to screw it in. All these pieces are aluminum that is leather wrapped, so they bend very easy.

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    CN (orange-black) -- pretty sure it's for the switch on the emergency brake for the warning light. I take it that you have no dash warning light "on" when the emengency brake handle is engaged with key "on"?

The G (yellow), SG (pink-yellow), and N (black) wires in the center console are for a light with switch that you are missing -- there should be a plunger sticking up in that hole that the lid pushes down (to turn "off" the light) when closed, and, conversely, when the lid is open and the plunger is up = light would be "on" (when the parking lights are "on").

16. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The trim screws and the metal tabs are actually affixed to the side, so in order to get to them you need to remove the side panels.

17. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Steve,

That is correct. The emergency brake light comes on when starting the car, but does not come on when it is engaged. I guess mystery solved I assume it plugs in at the emergency brake. Will take a look at it as I have been lax about finishing the carpet install. Just a bit more work than I thought it would be!!!!

Thank You for all your help. It is appreciated and we don't say thank you enough for your time and kindness.

Mark Seifert

18. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's the "Brake system failure warning light" (at the top middle of the instruments) -- it illuminates when staring to confirm the bulb is OK (and illuminates when there's a pressure difference in the two brake hydraulic circuits). The "Parking brake warning light" is on the LH side of the instruments. Please do post what you find -- it's such a simple thing that it's a bit baffling why anyone would need to disconnect/disable it.

19. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark

20. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Here are some picture updates on the carpet install. I have done carpet installs before many years ago and that is probably why it took me so long to start. Not without its issues. Today it was drizzling on me pretty much the entire time. I will be glad when it is done. I know it won't be perfect, but I am trying to be as detail oriented as possible and do a great job. I did re-dye some panels and the trim work which in itself is not hard but creates more issues........where do you stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Chris
  22. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Chris. Don't know about great job, but it is appreciated. Man I wish I was younger.....less fat.....and more limber for all the semi contortion work that is needed, I can say that the musty, moldy smell is gone. Originally did find a mouse or other varmit nest in the car from when.....who knows. It was in the passenger side behind the speaker enclosure. Just a nasty mess. I really need the dash leather fixed on the drivers side, but stopped short of pulling the dash. Sometimes you gotta know when to stop. Still up in the air on whether to re-dye the seats as I have re-dyed the faded door panels and most of the other interior bits of molding. Used all Leatherique products as they dye matched samples I sent them. The issue becomes where to either stop or when you look up in the car everything is leather and the sun and ages have just really faded it all enough that the newly dyed stuff sticks out a bit. If my intention were a full restoration then I would absolutely do it, but that was not my intent. So maybe I will live with it. Car will never be perfect. Definitely a driver with its share of cosmetic issues especially to those versed in Testarossa's.

23. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anybody know where this piece in the last picture goes? The piece basically laying upside down. In the schematics and other sites it kinda shows somewhere on the passenger side floor board, but for the life of me I cant remember pulling out a piece like this and cant figure it out. I might need some of the "Previgen" they advertise for memory!!!!!!

24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Really nice work! Looks great