Yes I am Insane: 400i Daily Driver | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Yes I am Insane: 400i Daily Driver

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aleventhal, Nov 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Under the rain this car can be challenging (slow wipers). In Europe it is a pain to park in public car parks (low ride heigh does not like ramps, turning radius quite large). Early models do not like to be stuck in the trafic. On the plus side: even the lady can drive it, the trunk is gargantuous, you can drive it for hours at 150-180kmh (at the end of which neither the engine nor the driver will be exhausted).

Before the never ending restoration lf my engine I just managed to drive it 5000km per year... So not a daily driver but definitively the car that gives plenty of good reason to take it out of the garage.

2. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Drove mine to the dentist today and had my teeth cleaned. Parked it in a the buildings large multi-level parking lot and its surprising a narrow car. So lots of space between cars parked.

Ak Jim likes this.
  3. SpeedyKiwi

SpeedyKiwi Rookie

Jan 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nilesh Vasan
    These cars take ages to warm up. So is there a minimum time or distance to drive it as a daily? Just wondering…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Out here in California it takes very little time to warm up. I take it easy for the 1st 15 minutes. I never really "Redline" the car either being 39 years old, I dont need to use it hard that way. Just a very enjoyable car to use everyday.

TCBoiler likes this.
  5. SpeedyKiwi

SpeedyKiwi Rookie

Jan 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nilesh Vasan
    I get to work in less than 15 min so it’s probably not a good idea to drive it that short a distance daily for me.

6. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Only 15 minutes? I would take it anyway. So fun to drive..

SpeedyKiwi likes this.
  7. SpeedyKiwi

SpeedyKiwi Rookie

Jan 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nilesh Vasan
    It is fun but the oil temp needle hardly budges over that time..there’s a lot of oil to heat up in that car

8. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    The oil temp on all my cars moves after an hour of driving, I wouldn't worry about that. Just let the car warm up a little for a few minutes and drive it nice and easy..She's 39 years old and might have sore knees. These cars loved to be driven daily. I get up in the morning to drive to get coffee with it all the time 10 minutes away.

9. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Hey Mike:
    Congratulations on deciding to adopt a Ferrari daily driver, I did the same and I am very happy to have decided to drive my cars.
    Two years ago I purchase a very nice 1984 400i and have driven it for 2 years every day, I have sorted all issues and I love the car and experience, however, I am at the point where I am out of space and have too many cars to manage so my prancing horse is looking for a new stable and will be sold on BAT on Monday.

Here is a link
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-ferrari-400-11/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    That’s a lovely looking car. Best of luck with the sale.
    Here in the UK an equivalent RHD version would be around USD 70k from a reputable Ferrari dealer. Just shows what a bargain these are in the US.

11. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    What a beauty. I just sold a silver 365GT4 2+2 and just love this color combo. Still have one in black and these cars are fantastic.
    Good luck..

12. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you for the comments. sad to see it go and I only hope it finds a new home where it will be respected, used and cared for.

13. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Just saw a 1983 400iGT with 58k sell for $85k plus fees on RM Sotheby's auction. Let's hope you get the same, or better!

14. SpeedyKiwi

SpeedyKiwi Rookie

Jan 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nilesh Vasan
    Fingers crossed for you! This car should bring in top money with the amount of work that has gone into it!

RicSinger likes this.
  15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I once owned a 1971 XKE with auto transmission........what a disappointment. Never made that mistake again with a sports car. Tempted with a 450SL but reason stepped in.

16. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    You will not enjoy a 400 auto if you've been a gearjammer all your life with sportscars!
    The experience will be the same as the E and I suspect the 450.

17. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    It is a very different driving experience for sure, but I am enjoying the relaxed nature of my 400i my previous was a 365 GT4/2+2..maybe getting old...low T?

18. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    I've been driving my car now two to three times per week. It's about 40 miles round trip to town so I'm getting about +/-100 miles per week. I've discovered if I leave it more than a week, it starts harder and smokes more at startup. It also appears the suspension and drive line is beginning to loosen up the more I drive it. Being 39 years old, that should be no surprise. I get a vibration in the right rear under high load, low speed acceleration like getting on an on ramp. Also some sort of harmonic driveline vibration above 90 MPH. Both have gotten worse the more I drive it so I suspect the old bushings are giving out. To be remedied this winter.

Similar suspension problems now with my 308. Sometimes sounds like I have lumber in the trunk so it's probably bushings too.

BTW, be sure to get your oil up to temperature when you drive your car. Otherwise you will have problems with water condensing in the system. I'll post a picture later from my friends Toyota. He only lives four miles from work and it never warmed up. A wrecked engine waiting to happen

Ak Jim likes this.
  19. SpeedyKiwi

SpeedyKiwi Rookie

Jan 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nilesh Vasan
    Agree
    It was recommended that the car be driven until warmed up adequately to avoid engine issues. The 15min trips don’t cut it
    Long cruises are what these cars are made for and the auto box suits it just fine for this!

20. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Well, this needs an update.

Yes, I have been driving the 400i a lot and it's starting to show it's age. It's at Exclusive Auto in Pheonix (good recommendations here so I figured I'd give them a try) getting ALL the suspension bushings replaced, the engine mounts have collapsed (probably the source of the high speed vibration) and I'm having real Koni shocks being installed with proper springs instead of just the hydraulic units simply left there. It has a water leak that appears to have "healed up" on the right cylinder head, corrosion but no current leak showing. Requires an engine out repair to pull the cylinder head so going to give it a pass for now. New plugs, rotor and cap ($$$$!!!!). We did determine the A/C was converted to R-134 correctly but it's still pretty weak. May have to go to Vintage Air for help. It's not going to get any cooler around here any time soon.

Another gazillion dollars of "deferred" maintenance from the previous owners. Going to check the O2 readings on the K-Jet too.

I'm really looking forward to how it's going to drive now with all the ailments fixed (I hope). This should be real close to what it originally was supposed to be like. I bought a 2001 BMW e39 M5 not too long ago which has become my DD recently but if the repairs to the 400i come true I may have to switch back :)

jippiejake and afterburner like this.
  21. jippiejake

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    These are not cheap cars to get right for sure..
    My AC isn't the greatest either. I have put in a Japanese compressor too, but didn't really help much more.. Let me know if you have any luck with the Vintage Air option. The world is getting warmer and I want to drive my 400i, but if its warm out its just not fun..