Michigan/Northern Ohio mechanic | FerrariChat

Michigan/Northern Ohio mechanic

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by WmacMI, Jul 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WmacMI

WmacMI Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Jackson MI
    Full Name:
    T. Wayne MacGregor
    #1 WmacMI, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Looking through the thread doesn’t find any really current information. Other than unfortunately Prestige in GR is now a Tesla service center
    I’m looking for a shop in southern Michigan/northern Ohio that can work on carbureted engines, specifically a 308. I’m located near Jackson MI, so essentially equal distance to Detroit metro area, Toledo, K-Zoo, GR, etc.
    Birmingham imports says that he can work on them. Actually says that he worked on the vehicles for the television show.
    I haven’t got any other answers in my inquiries, any info would be greatly appreciated. And any experience with Birmingham imports is obviously welcome too.

2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    what are you looking to get done? major engine stuff? or light work?

3. WmacMI

WmacMI Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Jackson MI
    Full Name:
    T. Wayne MacGregor
    Looking for someone that can do the major services. Light stuff I can manage.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I recommend Cauley. They have the best customer service I have ever had on anything and, as a bonus for you, I know at least one of the techs have a 308 themselves. :)

My advice- just do the job right the first time.

jm2 likes this.
  5. WmacMI

WmacMI Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Jackson MI
    Full Name:
    T. Wayne MacGregor
    Thanks. I see a lot of love for Cauley here, and from what I understand it’s well earned. It’s just a different mindset I guess. Lol. Taking a 40 year old car to the dealer. I mean, I love Erhard, they took care of my M3, M4, take care of my wife’s X5 and my M2c but taking the ‘87 M6 to them is not something I’d normally think of.

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I guess I never thought of that but it makes sense for a mainstream dealer. Cauley however, isn't a mainstream dealer. They work on vintage stuff all the time. They can easily handle it.

Veedub00 likes this.
  7. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    The cauley technicians are masters.

jm2 and PaulK like this.
  8. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    It’s pretty much a divide in the Ferrari community in Michigan between Cauley and F8 Sports Cars in Troy. I personally use F8 and have had nothing but outstanding service and quality from them. The owner Jeremy has a 308 himself. Jeremy does a ton of work on Ferrari’s and helped turn my 360 into an absolute monster on the street. I have yet to hear an F8’s Lamborghini, Ferrari, or McLaren customer who hasn’t vouched for F8’s brilliance.

The main reason I don’t use the dealer is because there’s plenty of parts out there that are better than Ferrari 360 OEM and I’m not putting substandard parts on my 360.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Fv81587 likes this.
  9. WmacMI

WmacMI Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Jackson MI
    Full Name:
    T. Wayne MacGregor
    Awesome. Thanks. I think the 308 you speak of is actually shown on the lift on their website photo. Mine is currently in Arizona, but will be bringing it back in August. Whole other discussion thread, but strongly considering the ship it vs drive it debate. hmmmm....

DiabloTerr likes this.
  10. DiabloTerr

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I would personally drive it, I’ve seen so many horror stories of exotic car shippers over the years. As long as it’s sorted enough to do the drive I would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. WmacMI

WmacMI Rookie

Jul 7, 2021
    Jackson MI
    Full Name:
    T. Wayne MacGregor
    I'm leaning to ward driving it too. It's currently in Phoenix with Alex Traverso doing the current service and inspections for me. If he gives the green light for the drive, and it lines up with my work schedule, I'm hoping to do a 4 day drive back. around 500 miles a day that way, so no 14 hour days of continuous running for either of us, lol.

12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Terrance,

I'd be very curious to compare the cost of Cauley with the 10% discount to F8. I am sure F8 would be cheaper, but by how much? I still think Cauley is worth the money though. They've done plenty of things for me for free that they didn't have to.
    Just FYI you don't have to use stock Ferrari parts with Cauley. You can provide your own (eg. Hill bearings) but they wont be covered under the warranty which, by the way, came in handy.

jm2 likes this.
  13. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I too have had excellent experience with Cauley. Don;t forget one other factor: they will have access to TSBs and other info that only dealers can get

jm2 likes this.
  14. DiabloTerr

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    Price is not gonna be comparable between an independent and a dealer. The dealer has to keep the lights on for the dealership...In independent is going to be often half or in some cases 1/3 Price of a dealer.

When you really look at the electronics and mechanisms there are plenty of places that can service these cars from North Coast Exotics, studio 47, Evans automotive, etc. Our cars are way easier to work on and provide less headaches than some of the crazy issues that I’ve seen over the years working on Lamborghini’s....With the exception of the crazy electronics of modern Ferraris like the SF 90, etc.

I Put more miles on my car in six months than a lot of people put on their car in five years, It helps that I know my car inside and out . I intend to have the highest mileage 360 in existence one day.

Veedub00 likes this.