Can you remove all Ferrari 400i Manifolds with engine in situ? | FerrariChat

Can you remove all Ferrari 400i Manifolds with engine in situ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Anthony bentley, Jul 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    I have a RHD 400i that I am trying to remove the drivers side exhaust manifolds (headers) to replace
    gaskets, but the one closest to the front of the car seems to clash with the chassis am I missing something?

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    My car was upgraded stainless manifolds without removing the engine. Maybe your motor mounts are shot?

If the oil inlet that connects the engine to the oil cooler is less the 1cm away from the frame, the engine mounts have to be changed.

You could also try to gently push upside the engine with a gearbox jack (not sure about the wording)? The engine pan can sustain a reasonable amount of pressure. If the egine moves, the mounts are dead.

3. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    All exhaust headers are not created equal!

I have seen lots of posts about how easy they are to remove and on one of my cars they were but the other was a nightmare.
    The front pipes on one set sit out about 20mm further than the other set and are impossible to get off.
    They fouled on the chassis and the front suspension bolt.
    I tried removing the front suspension bolt but they still could not be removed.
    As I was taking the heads off to replace exhaust valves and valve guides anyway I eventually pulled the heads to get them off.
    I have no idea how they got them on in the first place - possibly inserted exhaust studs into head through the manifold would be about the only option.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    This might be optimistic. If you double nut the manifold stud with Loctite and then try to remove stud. Might have to "prepare"the stud with some heat and/or penetrating oil. No experience just a thought looking at the pictures.
    Ken