Exhaust Suggestions? | FerrariChat

Exhaust Suggestions?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Erol, Jul 20, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    Hi all

My muffler is finally falling apart and separating in a few places so considering investing in a new one. Is it possible to replace only the muffler and leave the manifold/headers (assuming they look ok once I can get a better look at them)? If so, does anyone have a brand/vendor they like?

Alternatively, if I need to replace the entire system, any suggestions re something not *too* loud? I’m happy with the stock sound so staying in that range would be preferable.

I’ve seen a few stainless systems but searching the forum, people seem to have mixed reviews of the sound.

thanks

2. fer308qv

fer308qv Karting

Jul 12, 2006
    Patchogue
    Full Name:
    Matt Kellers
    Nuovi on mine. Sounds great 2 versions. I got the quieter one and still sounds like an f1 car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

dinogt4guy and Thomas Magnum like this.
  3. fer308qv

fer308qv Karting

Jul 12, 2006
    Patchogue
    Full Name:
    Matt Kellers
    Also stainless ! Great look. You won’t be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

All good choices, if you are happy with the stock sound, ANSA would be a good choice for you to consider as this is the brand that the car originally came with. I have an ANSA on my 308 and really love the sound.

Erol and mike996 like this.
  6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Capristo, yes it's expensive, but there's nothing like it.

Erol likes this.
  7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I’m happy with the stock sound so staying in that range would be preferable."

Then as 4Right suggested, go with the Ansa. I am one of the (few) people who do not want the car to be any louder than it is stock. I have spent many hours in the car and, frankly used earplugs on three cross country trips, even with the stock exhaust.

The loud aftermarket exhausts are OK for a short jaunt but their appeal is, for me, only for short periods. So IMO, a lot of it is about how you use your car. I put louder exhausts on almost all of my cars and, in nearly every case, returned to OEM after a while for the same reason - too annoying for extended periods. My last such attempt was a several years ago on a new Porsche 911. I installed a well-known aftermarket system and removed/sold it about 6 months later. Again, it was fun to drive for 20 minutes but as my daily driver - traveling 60 miles each way to/from work, it quickly lost the appeal.

tomberlin, 430tdf and Erol like this.
  8. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    If you want to keep the stock sound, why not buy a used stock muffler? Most are in fine shape and considering how popular aftermarket exhausts are, you should be able to find an inexpensive used one quite easily.

Erol likes this.
  9. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    I was considering that but read the stock US spec mufflers can hurt performance?

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have never been involved in a dyno test of a Ferrari OEM muffler vs an aftermarket muffler but I have done so on numerous mufflers for US v8 'performance' cars and there was seldom any difference in power output between the OEM and the aftermarket. In fact, in one test we did, the stock mufflers produced more HP than a pair of aftermarket "performance" mufflers. IOW, although it's possible, I would not assume that the stock muffler has a negative impact on performance.

I can absolutely state, based on a lot of dyno testing, that louder does NOT mean 'faster.' The only factual claim that can be made without an objective dyno test is that 'louder SOUNDS faster!' :)

Erol likes this.
  11. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does Capristo still making exhaust for the 308?

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yup, custom as well.... But that's whole nother price point!

miketuason likes this.
  13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Capristo is not the right exhaust for a stock 3x8, its not a period correct sound and its over priced, so theres that, buy a Tubi, its a perfect match for a 3x8 , its not obnoxious, and its built to last, ,mine has over 80,000 miles on it. I also have a Larini Test pipe, it is a great match to the Tubi with the K& N , my car will out gun a 330 HP BMW m3, ive been on a roll on freeway head to head, and my car had the upper hand, Ive never had my car on a dyno, but its on the quick side of the 3x8s, I think the 89 s got a little more than the rest of the batch. I would say the Capristo works well on a 355, Ive heard them on both. Moto Techniques 3x8 Evo , with the 400 + HP Engine mod sounds great with the Capristo, but the motor, which is the stock 308 block is about $100,000 in my estimation, You Tube it. Buy the Tubi, you will be 1000 % Happy with it, its that simple.

Thank you

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Capristo is not the right exhaust for a stock 3x8, its not a period correct sound"

Wouldn't "period correct sound" be the muffler that came on the car in whatever period we're talking about? ;)

15. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Isn’t that’s the whole point or idea of changing or upgrading exhaust is to change the period correct sound and sometimes the looks also?

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #16 ginoBBi512, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Not at all ,I want the Period correct sound, you have a 308,, ( so looks play a part , ) you cant see the exhaust on a 328 , Capristo works well on a 355, or lets say the Evo Restomod by Moto Techniques, to match the 400 + HP Capristo does not match with a stock 308 , The Tubi enhances the period correct sound .

Thank you Mike,

17. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually I do have the SS Larini exhaust on my QV and all I can tell you is that I love the sound and looks of it. It may not be original but I think it’s what a QV should sounds like to begin with.

18. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Uh huh, period correct sound :rolleyes:

I've lost track of how many different exhausts I've heard and put on 308's over the yrs. They all range from somewhat stock to unbearable noise.

tomberlin and ginoBBi512 like this.
  19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I've got no dog in this hunt. Capristo is the only exhaust I know of that is actually acoustically & flow engineered to the engine. We've worked directly capristo for nearly 30yrs to get custom exhaust systems matched to our engines. Everything from dead quiet stock to screaming F1 note.

Expensive? Maybe to some, not to others. There's a lot of engineering in their exhausts, that's not cheap.

As to pwr increases... It's an exhaust, the downside to the factory setup is crap materials and weight.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Expensive? Maybe to some, not to others. There's a lot of engineering in their exhausts, that's not cheap."

I'm one of the "some!" ;)

FWIW, Tubi claims a 1 HP increase (yep, ONE horsepower) with their muffler over the stock 328 muffler. Not sure a Dyno could reliably detect a 1HP difference on a 200-300 HP engine but that claim makes it pretty clear that there is no power increase to be had by switching from stock to an aftermarket muffler - at least the Tubi. Frankly, I'm impressed by their honesty!

21. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    I have an Ansa Sport on the Euro Carb 308, the sound perfect (to me)...but so subjective! I bought the SuperFormance Stainless Steel Exhaust System (no affiliation) for my US carb GTS. Beautiful stainless system, I haven't installed it yet, but other Fchat posts indicate good sound. Definitely aggressively priced at £845 (+shipping).

I spoke to the TimeValve folks a few month ago, they didn't have the jigs for my configuration... but I understand they're very good and reasonable. A search of F-chat + 308 + exhaust yields some good info. Good luck OP @Erol... let us know what you end up getting.

Erol likes this.
  22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This is s personal taste thing

You like what you like.

I like my Tubi

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What do you think is the best Capristo choice for a QV that won't wear you out on long highway drives but sounds damn good shifting and accelerating around town?

Looks like they give you a few choices

24. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Valved with controller.
    The non valved one has noise level choices of 1-3.. 3 would be for a track car, noisy all the time. 1 would be quiet but muted when you'd want that high rpm scream.

Valved gets you the best of both worlds, the controller allows you to open the valves at the press of a button in addition to the change in manifold vacuum at WOT.

Putting around, cruising.. Nice and quiet. Rip it open, mashing the go pedal... It barks!

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I may treat myself to one.

Can you post a link to the one you are referring to for an 84 US QV