Maserati MC20 | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    At Goodwood;

wrh3, Pawilly and boralogist like this.
  2. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    First video I’ve heard of the MC20 where the exhaust note sounds purposeful and in keeping with the design of the car.

I have an MC on order and was/am nervous about the sound. This clip has me feeling positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    looks nice.
    looks big
    sounds muted,
    Its a Gt.

Has great potential.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  5. speedgod

speedgod Rookie

May 14, 2019
    Nice. Do you have a US dealer you would recommend? Was told ‘22 production is accounted for and no word on ‘23 order book being open yet.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I keep thinking about this car more and more.
    Of the moderns its shape has classical beuty and its still modern crisp.
    A Cf tub does make a difference in terms of handling ability simply because of its stiffness.
    The v6 bothers me not at all, and turbos are fact of life, its still a better option than hybridization.
    Reviews say its like a bigger alpine of elige, my two favorite cars.

Somehow its missing something though. That edge or raw gression that a v10 murcilago has or even a bora had, or else the sense of knockout punch and exagerated curves a f8 has. Maybe later sportier versions will have that edge. To me now its treading the same road on higher price plane as the c8, the luxury mid engined express that can dance. Lets see a version where they have turned up the figurative volume without boy racer wings etc, keep it classy, let the engine sing and tighten it up a little. thats the v6 dino I was hoping for with out the bogus ferrari badge, or the 4c developed into a v6 weapon.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  7. speedgod

speedgod Rookie

May 14, 2019
    Well said. It took me a while to understand what the MC20 is. With the recent launch of the Lotus Emira, Ferrari 296GTB, to which price wise the MC20 sits in the middle of. A completely different to proposition to others in its price point (Huracan RWD), McLaren Artura. Its twice the car the Emira is, (Nettuno + Carbon Fibre Monocoque and avoids the added weight from the battery/ac motor. On top of all that, it's the most beautiful. I would like Maserati to offer a stiffer racing seat with greater support (similar to Porsche Carbon buckets). The standard seats look flat.

boralogist likes this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    It is still heavier than the lotus though, and I suspect bigger all a round, but 250 hp more although turbos so lag,.
    Losing some weight, the right seats and stiffining it up a little in terms of shocks springs(but not too much) woudl probably alter the car a lot. Letting the mtor express its voice would add another dimension too. Based on who did the chassis suspension design Ill bet the steering is already spot on and we read brake feel is superlative. An interesting car for sure, and while the maclaren might be more of a "peformance" staetment the functional differences at this level of power are academic either on road or on track. To make an analogy right now this car is a 992 Gts version and we might like a gt3 touring version..

So much potential there.

-K1- and Ferraripilot like this.
  9. speedgod

speedgod Rookie

May 14, 2019
    spot on. I love my gt3 touring...

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    at Goodwood, no music, sounds the same as the Artura, dull and muted. (nature of turbo v6)

11. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #437 boralogist, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    PS:
    HAVEN'T LOVED A CAR IN DECADES.
    I LOVE THIS CAR.
    Period.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The music track was a dumb choice.

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well that's more like it! They got a decent driver for theMC20 too! Most of those drivers do not pass donut school but at least there weren't any smash ups (I didn't finish it). Liked the white Lancia best! RAW!

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    my thought too, the lancia was raw. Whas missing on the MC 20 is some sense of rawness somewhere, mayne its just an angry exhaust and sport seats.. The MC20 we see now harkens back to the bora which in period was the most refined of the mid engined trio, Given the gentlems express confort, the Mc 20 will sell well, cause thats most buyers real desire. .Theyre going to be racing the MC 20, so its quite possible a more raw(but hopefully not too raw) version will arise. The gulia shows us that you can make a modern sedan that dances on track and works great on road, imagine what can be done with the Mc 20 platform.

staatsof and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Maybe its just age, or the nature of moderns, but its the rare new car I feel compelled to really own. Mostly for me its cars lower down the food chain that appeal because they still have a purity of purpose, which the added luxury and excess hp of more expensive cars dilutes out. The Gr yars and new alpine are both favorites and I would buy those two before one used newer ferrari. mTheyre seminal cars to keep for a lifetime and willl not be repeated again.
    My favoritn ferrai was and is the 288, it has the looks rawness plus enough comfort and plenty but not excess go. that a;ll makes it still relevant fun today.. Years ago I felt compelled by the 458 untill I dove one, below 9/10ths might as well have been a kia, and fast as it was, you wouldnt really track it.

All the reviews of the Mc 20 compare it to a bigger alpine or lotus, which is right up my alley. The power is there, and it looks as good as any italain car ever has.
    For the first time in a long time I feel compelled that the steering is done by the same team that did the gulia sounds even more compelling. the lack of hybridization even more so again. It seems like this car is a swansong for how good a me italian ice car can be, the last of the last. Maclaredn and ferrari are already going hybrid and lambo will soon, theres no more coming after this, I like to think which one I would like to be still owning 15 years from now, looks like could be Mc20 hands down..

Ferraripilot likes this.
  17. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Great synopsis:)
    Regardless of all the clueless bs out there, MC20 is a real game changer.
    It WILL have profound implications for the marque; especially WHEN (not if) she avenges the BORA and records her first class win at Le Mans.
    I will be there cheering;)

Ferraripilot, Nembo1777 and TheMayor like this.
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Of all the ways Maserati could have done this, I think they did it correctly. The car looks unique and very attractive but is definitely "a Maserati". Could it be prettier? Probably. The Ferrari 296gt looks "better" IMO. But there's more to choosing a car than its looks.

By making their own new engine in the Modena factory and having it be a high tech V6 with over 600 HP, going with a CF tub, giving it enough modern stuff (like cameras and the infotainment screen) but not too much to keep the interior simple and focused, putting in the Tremec DCT, and pricing it more expensive than Porsche but less expensive than Ferrari it tends to making it unique in the market of these expensive toys.

Maserati is finally starting to step out from becoming Ferrari's stepchild. Since the Ferrari takeover we all said it would never make another 2 seat high performance sportscar again. But it has.

The only thing I object to is the limited color selection right now. For a car of this price you should be able to make it more personalized.

The big question for me is what they do about the spider. If its ugly or too expensive, I can't see myself buying a coupe.

boralogist likes this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The Murcielagos were V-12s and not raw or agressive much (too Audi-ized). Step back a generation to a Diablo to get that level of visceral.

I will definately check out a MC20, great looking with some Engineering that impresses me.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Sorry mentioned the wrong lambo. I meant the current hurricane 2wd evo which is a direct competitor. Its as raw as any modern being currently produced in this price range and nothing else sounds that good. "Its not just how fast you go, but how you go fast that counts."

As to the murci, yeah it was audi refined compared to a diablo, but by todays standards was still plenty raw and uncompromisingly ridiculous in a way that v12 lambos do so well.

Shark01 likes this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If ferrari can make their tubo v6 in the 296 sing, if alfa can do so too, then so can maserati.

Ferraripilot and wbaeumer like this.
  22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The Alfa Quadrifoglio sounds like $#!+ too, it’s really just the fact that it’s a 90 degree V6 as opposed to the 60 degree V6 in the Ghibli lll, Quattroporte VI etc. and the 120 degree in the 296.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Haden't thought of that the 90 degree part and dont know enough to coment, would like to be educated further on this if you don't mind.

Most moderns sound like fart crap at idle anyway, but seems these days of computer exhaust modeling in lab any exhaust can be tuned with enough effort to sound any number of ways at revs. Based on the video the Mc 20 does not sound bad so much as overly muted and lacking in anger and with a final timbre. Maybe akrapovich can do it some justice. But the problem with aftermarket exhuasts is they're usualy just noise and too loud. there is a difference between tuneful melody and blare. Maclren needs to figure that out too. Im sure euro regulations are to blame also, but a well enginered tuneful but not overly loud sport exhaust would add a lot to this cars appeal.

The whole car currently has fantastic spec but setup very Gt, and that no doubt is where the meat of the market is. Id like a version with more anger without going overbored on flinty ride and wings. More a feelsome sunday driver and ocasional track run, than a cruiser for a 65 yo to go out dinner with the wife in . With its great suspension, more than enough power, stiff cf tub and relatively reasonable weight, all the bits are there. Its in so many ways the car many of us were hoping ferrari might one day build, and all the better for not having a ferrari badge with all the bogus conotations that now carries.

wbaeumer and -K1- like this.
  24. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I can’t say if the Nettuno motor shares the odd-fire firing order of the original Maserati 90 degree v6 for the SM/Merak, but I can say there is nothing wrong with how the old one sounds.

Sorry for the Maser V6 background but I thought it was a good place to mention:

This clip is the SM Michelin proto which uses the same tuned 2v race/rally Merak/SM engine the Ligier JS2 raced at Le Mans in 73 (makes about 280-290bhp), then in 74 Maserati made about a dozen 3L 4 valve mechanically injected versions that spun to some 9500rpm and allegedly made 430cv. I have never heard a 4v engine run but it was a competitor to the mighty Cosworth DFV. Had to be somethin as it finished Lemans 8th overall in 74 and I believe won its class, finishing in front of several Daytona and RSR.

25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It's the turbo that makes them sound poorly as we know. Sometimes you can tune a V6 turbo to sound better like Ferrari did on the 120 296 even with turbo . I know 1980's turbo F1's sounded great and they also revved at very high rpm's. I also don't think the current 60 degree Maserati turbo sound very good either so it's not just the angle. By the way, at Lemans in 1974 the Ligier JS2 did finish 8th behind 1 RSR and 2 Daytona's plus the RSR turbo prototype that finished second. So no class win, but an amazing engine that should have been developed more. Instead Ligier went with a FORD Cosworth and came in second in 1975 :)