YABTP: Making the "Battery Conditioner Connected" light | Page 5 | FerrariChat

YABTP: Making the "Battery Conditioner Connected" light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wkumari, Dec 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #101 f355spider, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    The specialized crimper is not absolutely necessary, I made do with one of the others I already had. Too bad not all the parts are in stock. I made my own from the parts list for less than $20 and customized the connector for my Granit Battery Saver brand maintainer. I think you can PM wkumari who started this thread, and he will sell you a set as well.

BTW, I just checked the links in wkumari's website and all the parts are available today from Digikey:
    DIY (kumari.net)

Including the strain relief: MBG4S-1 Souriau-Sunbank by Eaton | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

raemin likes this.
  2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I built one of these from the directions supplied because I was using a different tender than the CTEK on my 430. It was definitely a challenge to fit the wires and especially the jumper inside the connector that’s required to activate the battery warning light that prevents the car from starting when a tender is plugged in. Better off buying the ready-made one. A bargain by any measure…

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. ybl84f1

ybl84f1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steve Engelbrecht
    Okay - a somewhat OCD question related to this thread, in my F430 manual under the section for how to use the built-in battery charger it says to reference the Carrozzeria Scaglietti manual, which I didn't even realize I had and upon its discovery appears to be an additional manual detailing the options for the car. And indeed all the options for my car are in this manual - with the exception of the built-in battery charger connector! This seems to be an inadvertent omission.

I am guessing it probably doesn't even matter either way but I was wondering if the official guidance when connecting the charger through the port is to disconnect the battery via the master battery switch before charging (making the assumption that the charging connector bypasses the switch), or if you can leave the battery switch on (and the rest of the car electronics drawing current) while charging. On all my other daily drivers I simply connect the charger to the battery with the rest of the car electronics connected and of course it works fine - just wanted to make sure there's nothing different about how a Ferrari works.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The official battery charger uses a chassis earth as one half of the battery charging circuit. Disconnecting the battery disconnects the link between the battery negative and the chassis. You can't charge the battery with the disconnect switch open. There is really no point disconnecting the battery prior to hooking up the charger. It just means you will upset the computers by removing power.

f355spider likes this.
  5. ybl84f1

ybl84f1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steve Engelbrecht
    BTW just to follow up on my previous post (excerpt below), the CTEK connector for my 430 from "chedzem" on eBay works perfectly and is great quality. I checked the pinout before plugging it in just to be sure; it connects/charges correctly and the warning light comes on if you try to start the car. Now the original Ferrari tender can go back into storage.

"If folks are still landing on this thread because they're in a similar situation, I did find this fellow ("chedzem") on eBay in the UK that sells a "Ctek Ferrari Battery Charger / Conditioner Adapter Cable - 4 pin Type" for $62USD. This is just the CTEK adapter/plug - not the charger. He has them for all different makes and models. I've ordered one - will check it out with the multimeter against the info here in this thread before I dare plug it into my baby."

[​IMG]

Bob in Texas, f355spider and Qavion like this.