OK, ya Jackwads! Folks up my way never know you're coming through... | FerrariChat

OK, ya Jackwads! Folks up my way never know you're coming through...

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by David_S, Jul 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Often?

FCA peeps spend the weekend nearby at https://www.switzerlandinn.com

But? The "Inn/Chalet" pretty much never says anything, until AFTER, so us "local people" (aka - riff raff) can only possible blunder into the showing on their grounds.

From what I've gathered? The FCA SE region didn't stay at the "Chalet" this year, but rather in Asheville.

But? Seems like a bunch of folks came up my way to eat at a place about 30 minutes from me.

Nothing wrong with "Bubba's Good Eats," but it sure isn't fancy. My only issue? Nothing on the FCA page, or anywhere else I've seen said anything about such a trip/gathering.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Wow…and SF90 in the wild.

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Amazing how ‘dated’ the SF90 makes the F8 look. I’m liking it……..

Fantastic roads out that way, and lots of interesting history behind the Chalet and their squabbles with the USG, which used eminent domain to push through the BRP.

4. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Not to mention that purple!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Thecadster likes this.
  5. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    The ****....?

BTW, what ever happened to CAFE?

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Bubba’s has great burgers! :)

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    @David_S I’d love to meet up for drives with you and your gang. Tomorrow I am meeting with @wthensler at Little Switzerland and then driving to Tapoco.

8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes. Should be a blast. I’m in Southern VA and WV right now and just rode the Back of the Dragon (SR-16) and also the Head of the Dragon in WV (SR-116).

Both rides highly recommended. The Back is newly paved and in superb shape.

Hope I saved enough powder for tomorrow, lol. Still 110 miles out from Little Switzerland on some pretty gnarly roads.

Attached Files:

nicholasn, italiafan, AD211 and 2 others like this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    So italiafan showed up in his marvelous Speciale this morning and we tore up the BRP southbound from Little Switzerland to Cherokee, causing trouble and stirring up dust in our wake. After a great lunch, we parted ways - he headed east towards Asheville and me west, where I just finished a thrilla’ on The Tail. Chilling at the Tapoco Lodge and will post some pics in the 458 section.

Get out and drive!

10. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    BTW, what ever happened to CAFE?[/QUOTE]
    I still get emails from Kevin. The last 600 have all started with the greeting "Hey Gang". CAFE preferred I think to stay in CLT and they are mostly into C+C and one day events. Many years ago there were efforts to try to coordinate their activities with NC branch of FCA. I think CAFE had no interest in the stuff involving wives and GFs...weekend get-aways, dinners, that sort of thing. Just my recollection...facts may be different.

RedlineG60 likes this.
  11. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Keith, all of that is spot on, at least for while I was organizing from 2009-2014 or so. We've enjoyed some participation from some Charlotte/CAFE folks but it has been limited.

12. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd be all for that, but honestly don't have any "gang," and at this point, all I "bomb around in" is an incredibly scruffy Z3 2.8 (no, not kidding REALLY scruffy - but highly functional.)

Will say? Spent Saturday on the Blue Ridge Parkway - round trip was about 170 miles, with the top down. GREAT drive! Not many bicyclists hogging the road - in fact? Those we encountered actually pulled far right & let us pass (SAFELY! Would not do otherwise.)

Still paying for it, because I couldn't find my hat, and got quite a bit of sun on my face. :)

13. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    if you pasted through Blowing Rock and did not call me you're a jackwad! ;-)

David_S likes this.
  14. Grigio 308

Grigio 308 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fielden
    Hey Jon! In response to your inquiry, CAFE is still going strong! We have just had a quiet year-and-a-half as you can imagine... I couldn't host shows, guest speaker events, etc. We are planning to bring back the annual Motori Italiani gathering on November 6th with fingers crossed that all can happen for a large scale event at that time. You should still be receiving the CAFE emails. If not, shoot me a message with your email and I'll make sure it's added. Thanks! - Kevin

15. Grigio 308

Grigio 308 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fielden
    Hey Keith & Marc, before all the craziness came down CAFE was still doing two large shows a year... "Motori Italiani" in the spring and "Ferraris at (fill in the blank)" in the fall. The latter was having to change venues as property management at some locations had no backbone and let the inmates run the asylum. The last show prior to lockdown was "Best of Britain" featuring any and all motorized British vehicles... a great event that I look forward to bringing back.

In recent years, I've hosted a number of speaker events featuring Steve Matchett, Ed Bolian, and the F1 broadcast team of Diffey/Hobbs/Matchett. These were going extremely well with many more planned in 2020... and then "BOOM!" We're now on the cusp of starting these types of gatherings up again (fingers crossed).

Locally, we've stayed involved with Cars & Coffee, Cars & Cappuccino, Euro Auto Festival, and such as they have been able to be held over the questionable months.

I do still stay in touch with Howard, President of FCA-NC and occasionally connect with Chip, President of FCA-SC.

A lot of ideas are "in the hopper" and hopefully circumstances will improve so we can get them to fruition. Hope to see you guys and everyone else soon!

- Kevin

RedlineG60 likes this.
  16. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    IMHO, that Speed F1 broadcast team was the best. I miss them every race I watch.