FF too loud | FerrariChat

FF too loud

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by FerRrari, Jul 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I love my FF, but as a daily it can be too loud. Particularly when stopped at a light the valves seem to open, is this normal or is my car somehow modified? Similarly from 1K to 2K RPM there's a bit of a drone, above 2K RPM it's really quiet until you reach higher RPMs. Just curious to understand if there's something going on with me car or my experience is "normal".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jason Frye

Jason Frye Rookie

Oct 12, 2020
    Parker, CO
    Full Name:
    Jason Frye
    Dude...it's a N/A V12 that makes one of the most glorious sounds on planet Earth. If it's too loud, you're likely too old. Buy a Hybrid :)

I simply can't relate as I've straight piped and tuned mine. If I could go louder, I would.

Good luck!

KarlA69, plastique999, otakki and 5 others like this.
  3. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I'm in my 30's so I don't think I'm old. The sound is glorious, I just want it to be quiet when stopped.

4. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Test drove a Roma today- i thought it was too loud at idle and much louder than my stock FF.

5. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Check to see if it was modified, I thought mine was very quiet stopped at lights.

FerRrari likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The FF was not insulated as well as the Lusso. It is pretty drony inside, especially in the back.

You can check and see if it has the stock exhaust, but that is about it.

Forget the Roma. It is drone galore and it sounds nothing like a Ferrari.

Go test a Lusso. From a noise reduction standpoint it is leaps and bounds ahead of the FF, and the valves are closed during cold starts. The Lusso V12 really too the comfort to a new level, with no drone and next to no wind noise.

Do yourself a favour and have a go in a Lusso V12. Sounds like the perfect car for you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bamsefar and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I have my concerns about this post and your ears.

I’d say check if the valves are capped or if they are actually functioning. After that, I’ve got a welder and a lift and we can figure something out

Natkingcolebasket69 and FerRrari like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Mmmmmmhhh

FF is already very insulated. My full kline was screaming outside but inside it wasn’t as fantastic. The windows are also too thicke…

I liked my FF but I don’t regret it;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    The valves do work because it does get quiet sometimes when stopped and all the time between 2K and 4K rpm. Before taking it to the dealer I wanted to hear others’ experiences so as to not be told that’s just normal.

10. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Here is the exhaust droning:

Here is the exhaust not droning:

Both videos were taken tonight within 15 mins of each other. I noticed the exhaust go louder once the water temp went beyond 210 F. I was driving in the city at normal speeds so I’m not sure if there’s a cooling issue with my car or some bad sensor. I assume it’s not normal for the FF to operate at such high temperatures.

rhern213 likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    FF does not drone at idle...the FF cold starts with valves open and they shut automatically. are you running oem exhaust setup? does the car have an ECU tune? the FF interior is very well insulated.

12. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Here's what I notice with my FF after one year. When I come to a stop, the engine initially idles at 1,000 rpm and the gearbox is still engaged, the car will creep forward, but after being stationary for 1-2 seconds, the idle drops down to around 700 rpm and the gearbox disengages, the car will roll but not creep. If I tap the gas, the engine idle jumps back up to 1,000 rpm and the gearbox engages waiting to take off. Lately, I've noticed that every once in a while, even thought I'm stationary for some time and the gearbox has disengaged, the engine speed does not drop to 700 rpm but stays at 1,000 rpm and it is quite loud, much louder than idling at 700rpm. Much more pleasant to sit at a long red light at 700rpm.

FerRrari likes this.
  13. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I’m the third owner and wasn’t told about any exhaust modifications. Given the ownership history and my own experience it doesn’t seem like an aftermarket exhaust is the problem here.

14. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks, I think you’re onto something. I’lol pay closer attention to the RPMs when idling.

15. cam612

cam612 Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    UK
    From your description of the issue it does seem odd that you have an inconsistent exhaust sound at similar revs. I suggest that your valves are not opening/closing properly. I only had my stock exhaust for a short time (replaced with a Novi) but I would expect that the valves would open only at higher revs or under significant load.

FerRrari likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Honestly I couldn’t hear much;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Yeah unfortunately the sound quality from the dashcam isn’t the best. But if you pay attention, there’s a loud bass in the video with drone that is not present in the other one.

18. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    By the way, yes your coolant temp seems unusually high, especially compared to the oil temp and outside temp. Here’s mine on a warmer day just after sitting in traffic. I can’t recall ever seeing mine much hotter than 210.

Caeruleus11 and FerRrari like this.
  19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Good catch.

20. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I've never seen my coolant temp needle swinging higher than 210.

21. ferrari169

ferrari169 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Northeast USA
    The difference I noticed in the 2 videos seems the drone version has a higher idle speed than the quiet one. The extra couple hundred RPM can make a huge difference in sound.

22. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    According to the tach RPMs we’re the same.

23. ferrari169

ferrari169 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Northeast USA
    That's interesting because it sounds different to my ears. I wonder if the tach is accurate. How about this: AC compressor on or off? Cooling fan on or off? Alternator load?

24. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Both videos were shot on the same drive just 15 min apart. AC is set to Auto, I was driving in comfort mode the entire time and it was all city driving under 40 mph.

25. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I would definitely get that temp checked out. I'm in Miami with ambient temps in the 90's and have never seen the water temp over 210 even in stop and go traffic. Try to see if the temps go up only when you're idling, or if it stays up even when cruising continously?

Caeruleus11 likes this.