First 'Sprint Race' Thoughts? | FerrariChat

First 'Sprint Race' Thoughts?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nuvolari, Jul 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    With the action on the first lap of the main race dominating the headlines it appears as though there is no discussion as to the thoughts on the sprint race and the weekend format. Here are some of my observations:

- Interesting format that could make for the basis of a handful of rounds in the championship. Not really suited to having it every weekend.

- Makes Friday more interesting

- A little extra racing is never a bad thing even if this go was a bit processional at the front.

Dislikes:

- Pole position should be awarded to the person who was fastest in qualifying. the Pirelli 'Speedy' award or whatever they called it was a joke.

- The post race trailer parade needs a LOT of polishing. The drivers spend most of their time talking to reporters and it is near impossible for them to get close enough to the fans for any real connection.

- Saturday practice session does not seem to make a lot of sense. It seems to just be 'there' but not part of the real ramp up and preparation for the main event.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I think of it like an interesting diversion that ultimately detracts from the race on sunday.

In the ear of a cost cap, this would be one place where punting your opponent into the walls could be seen as a competitive advantage.
    BTW:: What does the cost cap say about a team who takes so much damage during racing that they cannot stay under the cost cap and put a car on the grid ??

mcimino and william like this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    After the real race on Sunday the sprint is now just a foot note. Have there been any substantive comments from the drivers/teams?

william and Bas like this.
  4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Some worthwhile observations:

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    If the cars are in parc ferme after quali, what is the use of the practice session before the sprint?

william likes this.
  6. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    I like the sprint.
    No tire management/pit strategy.
    No undercut/over cut.
    Just racing for position.
    I like that it also sets the grid position for Sunday. The show needs this to take away some of the boring predictability.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Thecadster and timjen88 like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Old F1, where you started the race and tried to finish without a pit stop (mandated by archaic=modern rules) had:
    Pit strategy:: don't pit
    Tire management strategy: Don't burn up your tires
    No over cut/no under cut;
    just pure unadulterated racing for position

It is the mandated pit stop that is hurting F1 {That and motors without sound, DRS, too much aerodynamics, too little testing,...}

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i dont like the computer generated scenarios. quasi robot racing. for example: hami you will win the race in 6 laps. boring.
    prefer human calculations.

william likes this.
  9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I thought it was a completely unnecessary risk of cars just 24 hours before the actual race. The FIA and F1, after screwing up the sport for the last ten years, has decided to screw it up some more. Their plans to drive down costs has driven fans away. Now they are trying to attract fans by driving up costs. F1 should be buried, and a new sanctioning body be created to salvage the sport.

mcimino and william like this.
  10. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    F1 management should have to take a one year mandatory understudy in the BTCC or DTM to learn how to make a competitive exciting racing series. I do however think the sprint race idea is worth exploring a bit more.

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    maybe have a sprint race like the IROC series. everyone in identacle aston martins, alfas , mercs and ferraris.
    use a different marque for each sprint race.
    example: all drivers driving alfas in a sprint and so on.
    genius i tell ya.

xpensivewino likes this.
  12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Run a second race at the last venue when the championship is over. The cars will be obsolete, let the teams run any settings, engine mapping and tires that they want; disable DRS. A balls-0ut blast to put the capper on this formula.

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ala this - In 1979 and 1980, the BMW Procar Series was one of the most spectacular racing series in the motorsport world. As part of most European Formula 1 races, the five fastest F1 drivers from the practice sessions of the respective Grand Prix took part and raced identical BMW M1 cars against private drivers, well-known racers and up-and-coming talents.

14. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I was just thinking about this. As a race fan I loved seeing a ra...erhm qualifying on Saturday. Love seeing racing anytime.

But I don't quite like it yet. I feel the risk of passing doesn't pay off. You may gain one position you may crash.

The tire strategy I can't comment on yet but it does shuffle stuff up.

fil likes this.
  15. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    This is brilliant. All the manufacturers would benefit except perhaps RB who doesn’t produce a street car. I love this idea

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Didn't like it. After the first 2 or so laps the field settles and...that's that. I mean great we get an extra start and opening lap in there but it's just chaos to create chaos. Feels forced.

I find proper qualifying much more entertaining especially in a tight field as the current one.

stavura, fil, DF1 and 2 others like this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Alonso was enjoyable to watch

Borrow’d Mine, DF1 and Bas like this.
  18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I like the idea, but it needs refining. Definitely makes the whole weekend more interesting for the fans which is a very good thing.

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    So let me see if I understand this correctly, you have a quali period to determine the grid order for the sprint race and final positions of that determines the grid position for the race. !

So it's pretty conclusive that the current leaders will top the 1st quali period, they then start in their normal grid positions for the sprint race and then start in the same positions for the main event bar any crashes and failures.

Whats the point? Same old **** but just longer to get there.

The middle field may get mixed up a little more as teams have nothing to lose with a banzai 17 laps, but the main runners (MB,RB,MCLaren, SF) will just keep out of the danger zone.

There is no way to frig the results or to spice up the show.

Save time and just throw a few nails on the track to spice things up!!

fil likes this.
  20. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver
    Overall I liked it. A few things I would change would be that I would swap FP2 and the sprint race. Let FP2 be geared towards the race. Pole should be based on quali times, not the sprint. And they wouldn't be in parc ferme conditions until FP2 is completed.

The only thing with this is then it seems quali is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so maybe have 3 sessions on saturday, sprint, FP2, 2 session quali for the race or something. Just thinking out loud.

21. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, I don't see how this figures into the cost cutting. Are teams allocated an extra power unit now with this extra wear and tear?

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Crap

Isobel and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    2nd sprint race announced for monza...again at a mercrdes stronghold.

Mickey mouse series.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  24. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Prefer qualifying except for the stupid parking lot formation which should be an easy fix by nullifying the fastest time of anyone blocking someone’s flyer.

Seen the Sprint once and will agree it was worth trying, but they’re meddling with one of the few parts of F1 that doesn’t need a fix.

stavura, subirg, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  25. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

And Track Limits will apply to all drivers, except one :D

stavura, fil and Bas like this.