[Wiring help] hold radio memory with battery disconnected? | FerrariChat

[Wiring help] hold radio memory with battery disconnected?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by raysur, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I bought a head unit from Crutchfield and their tech support doesn't support this car.

Their tech told me to run a dedicated line from the ground wire of the head unit to the neg terminal of the battery. Now when I disconnect the battery, at the switch, the memory holds but the door courtesy lights turn on too. I can turn off the door lights when I unplug the antenna wire. The memory holds but no reception. What is the right way to wire this to hold memory?

2. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    I suspect what is going on is as follows:
    1. The car’s cutoff switch isolates the ground terminal of the battery.
    2. The radio chassis at the moment is also connected via its mounting hardware to the car’s chassis (i.e ground).
    3. When you connect the radio ground terminal to the battery ground terminal, that wire is bypassing the cutoff switch.
    If that’s true, be careful not to turn on anything else (like the starter) or you will smoke that little ground wire.

The only ways out of this that I can think of are:
    1. Isolate the radio chassis from the car chassis so that the radio’s ground wire is the only thing connecting the radio to the ground side of the battery, or,
    2. Don’t turn off the cutoff switch. If you are doing so to prevent battery discharge from long periods of non-use, instead solve that problem by using a battery maintainer.

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK, you're a witch :)

Seriously, don't see how that's even possible unless you have some other wiring mods -- like an alarm system that is wired to sense the doors being opened -- do you?

4. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    :D I do float in water.

Thanks for the suggestion of isolating the ground. I just checked and the metal frame of the radio is resting against a metal support in the dashboard. But I can get the door lights to turn even when it is resting on the leather of the console. I haven't started the car and won't until this is figured out.

The car isn't modified with an alarm system (as far as I know). The only electrical work I did to the car was a Guido fuse board. When I put it in I did a wire by wire replacement. Everything in the car worked. This has me stumped.

I do trickle charge the car. I just am used to the switch to prevent fires and security.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The minus side wiring network of the door lights (that gets grounded by the door switches to turn them "on" when a door is opened) is completely isolated from everything else and doesn't even connect to the fuse-relay panel (if everything is stock), so still have to conclude that there some modification somewhere in your TR. Know that that doesn't help you much.

6. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It does help and I appreciate it. I'll start to dig deeper and see what I find.

7. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins

Sorry I missed your comment about the antenna cable. That would do it because the other end of the cable at the antenna would be connected to ground there. So you’d have to give up radio.

8. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank you Alan. I have no problem giving up radio. I am wrapping this up tonight. Thank you for your help.

9. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz

10. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Wow. OK. Hello all! Popping back in.
    This is unsettling to say the least. I have an under-dash cutoff and after 12 years post-minor-resto including making the Kenwood work again, have not had any problems. The Kenwood has a ground and two source inputs, a very low current memory stay-alive (0.05 amp inline fuse...?) and the main feed. When I turn off the cutout, the "memory" dies but have not had any issues with smoking the ground wire. Now I am wondering how it is set up.

11. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just to close this thread I got my car back on Saturday and the head unit wasn't working. I had to pull out the head unit to replace a tube fuse. While I was bundling the wires I noticed a ground for the antenna. It was screwed into the firewall. After disconnecting this ground and reconnecting my antenna it works exactly how I hoped. My door lights aren't turning on, the memory holds and the tuner now works. I ended up redoing the antenna connection since it had a lot of static. I hate soldering in the car but it is a huge improvement. Image Unavailable, Please Login