430 - Buying F430 checklist | FerrariChat

430 Buying F430 checklist

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Jul 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi all,

I am back in the game after looking at some Porsche's to buy a Ferrari.. I really like the F430.
    Do you guys have a list of known problems, and what to look for? I read about headers, motor mounts (which I can both replace myself without problems) , I know the clutch life can be read, and I would prefer it to be over 70% ...

I will do a PPI on the car, but just looking for as much info as I can.

Thank you very much.

2. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Mario Andretti likes this.
  3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Wear in steering rack swivels, lift in all 8 ball joints, rear tie rod ends. Rear lights are secure- they should all flex the same

6. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I don't see any check which shows the condition of the engine. I do a leak down test and compression test whenever I buy a second hand vehicle over 20k miles... would the dealer do such a test ?
    Also, I know clutch life percentage shows wear and life left until change/service, but is there anything else like gearbox pump or the like that needs replacement usually?
    Some of the things mentioned in that doc are trivial... how much life left on tires... brake pad and rotor... hold on. It's a second hand car :)

I would be looking at a 2006 or 2007 model if that makes a difference...

Thanks

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Depends if steel or ccm brakes. Steel are cheap to fix and ccm brakes dont wear much if road use only. They will check what you want. Engines are pretty tough and no cam belts. Gear box is just filter and oil change.

8. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Is it usual for engines to use oil; if so what is the rate? It is one of the most controversial topic, I know I know, just wondering for the F430 engine.... thanks!

9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    You also can have whoever is doing the PPI, remove the gearbox filter screen. It’s easy, just drop the rear diffuser, remove one bolt and pull the screen out. It would be nice to know what’s stuck in it.

It’s one of the first things I did when I got my 2009 home. It had white silicone in/on it. I’m betting no one ever removed it before. It had 12,900 miles when I bought it.

Kinda ticked me off knowing that dealerships hadn’t removed it before, especially with how easy it was to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. David_M

David_M Rookie

Feb 20, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    David Meyer
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Next to no oil consumption, dry sump so you dip sump with engine hot and running. Only go midway on dip stick, never max

12. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mine uses maybe 1l per 5000-8000km

13. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Thanks all; I think I found one that I like... it is a 2005. Would a 2007 model have significant changes that would be worth waiting for ?
    The 2007 I see online has been there for a while , but it was involved in an accident... better avoid.

14. JSP

JSP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Consider selling my pristine red/tan 430.
    PM me.